Customer Discussions > Music forum

A word of caution when buying music from "marketplace sellers".

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2012 5:57:34 PM PDT
80's fan says:
There are some marketplace sellers that do not obey Amazon's marketplace seller policy. This includes, but is not limited to selling "music club" CD's and "promo" CD's. If a CD is from a "music club" or a "cut-out", it SHOULD be stated in the description of the CD. I am also still seeing "promo" CD listing. There are some great sellers here on Amazon. However, the bad sellers make me think twice before I buy from any seller.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 6:22:33 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
Yeah. I've gotten my share of cut-outs and promos. I've also gotten "new" CDs which were obviously rewrapped/repackaged.

Its pretty clear that most sellers don't exactly follow the Amazon guidelines. If you email the seller about the condition, most of them will refund you. I usually don't give negative feedback. I just choose to spend my money elsewhere.

I was thinking of starting a post rating the sellers I've bought from and rating them/ commenting on the quality what they usually send you. I've bought at least 100 used Cds from one vendor and 20+ CDs from a few others. There are a few I'll never buy from again.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 6:30:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 6:32:01 PM PDT
80's fan says:
I agree with you, 156 days. I have complained to Amazon. However, that seems to do no good. I would only ask that you start leaving feedback.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 8:27:40 PM PDT
Warren BONES says:
I've been 100% happy with the Marketplace sellers. If anything I find they tend to under-estimate the condition of the CDs I've bought from them, in that I've bought several used CDs that were clearly brand new (not cut-outs). I do have my favourites though, but that's more about how long they take to post things. It usually takes around 10 days for something to reach me here in Australia, so having a seller take a week to get around to posting it is really, really annoying. "blowitoutahere" are consistently very good and I'll happily pay an extra dollar or two to buy from them whenever I can.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 8:34:14 PM PDT
PhyongHwa says:
Another thing is packaging. I can't believe I was sent a CD in the mail that was only plastic wrapped....not bubble wrap or anything else. CD case was crushed, and CD was scratched to hell. I'm awaiting the seller's reply. I better not have to pay return shipping. >:[ That would surely tick me off.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:33:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 11:34:44 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
My experience has been very good, not perfect, up to this point.

I find 2-or-more disc sets from Goodwill sellers arrive with only 1 disc much more frequently than not.The sellers have always refunded promptly, but then I shop for the set again, and wait for shipping....

I also have had the experience of less than secure packaging (cd's packed in a flimsy plastic envelope without protection).

My BEST experiences are from IMPORT CD'S from California. Always new product, ships immediately and securely, and arrive at least 2 days faster than purchases from Movie Mars, whom I also like very much as a seller, but Movie Mars doesn't work on weekends.

GT

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:40:25 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
I still wish AMAZON would provide a method for inquiries prior to purchase as EBAY does. There can be MULTIPLE editions of a recording, and a significant number of sellers either don't know or don't care what edition they post for sale and if it matches the listing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 7:15:15 AM PDT
80's fan says:
Hello, Grandpa Tom. You can contact the seller. Click on the seller that is selling the item. Then look at the lower right hand part of the screen. You'll see, "contact the seller".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 7:25:35 AM PDT
Aleleeinn says:
Since I was looking for otherwise uavailable music and not looking as a collector, your complaint really doesn't bother me. However I you are looking for collectables, you have a valid point. I've only had a one maybe two CDs like that in my ordering adventure. NOW! if the music club CD has different contents than the commercial one, then I'm upset. BMC occasionally removed tracks to make albums fit on one CD. That is unacceptable. Also grounds for a return. BTW, I've had no problems with returns.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 7:28:47 AM PDT
Krikon says:
usualy i never run into problems when buying music, personaly i don't care wheter it's a cutout or not so i dont realy reflect over that. Iv'e noticed though that the bigger company the more likely it is that they don't have time to inspect the cd/dvd properly but in the cases they have looked to bad iv'e always been refunded without any further questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 7:30:22 AM PDT
Aleleeinn says:
I agree about "bloitoutahere". Very prompt shipping and no complaints about quality. My strategy is to stick with sellers I have experience with. Even for some difference in price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 9:57:01 AM PDT
Clancey says:
I wish that Amazon would keep separate reviews for various releases of the same title, and sellers would note in their descriptions exactly what is on the cd. I collect music that is usually on rare special/extended/bonus track editions and it is a pain to have to ferret out the correct editions. I have contacted sellers before and the big ones don't even try to look for me or don't understand what I am asking. I don't care about promos/cutouts, but I do want cds that play. BTW: I get a lot of cds that are packaged way beyond the pale on packaging. They really go overboard more often than not.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:09:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 10:11:23 AM PDT
rainman says:
have had good experiences with blowitottahere also, importcds really great vendor also. cddvds and moviemars also give good marks. some sellers dont stock merchandise and dont ship within amazons parameters what i hate is having to send emails so i avoid them

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:26:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 10:27:28 AM PDT
JBug says:
This might sound crazy, but I avoid buying from sellers west of the Rockies. I live East of the Rockies and every time a package would arrive from the West, the bubble wrap would be completely flat, offering little protection for the item shipped. Upon checking, I was told that the bubbles pop on air flights over the Rockies because of the high altitudes. Since then, I've only ordered from sellers in the East and I've never had the bubble wrap go flat like that. Coincidence? I don't know, but as often as I order items through the mail, I would tend not to think so.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:45:39 AM PDT
Sandra Lopez says:
Just recd a CD from Amazon marketplace seller I wanted to download, Legendary 50s and 60s tunes, problem is, the labels were misprinted and are mixed up with each other for songs. Yes, I suppose I can download the music anyway (not great quality), but the titles not corresponding to the songs is frustrating.

What a deal...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 11:19:14 AM PDT
dwood78 says:
I'm in the same boat with you. But being on the West Coast, I rather buy my products from sellers West of the Rockies due to length of time it takes for my order to arrive. This doesn't mean I won't order from a East Coast seller-Kentucky based blowitottahere for example.

PS There has been times when the case in my CD has been damaged & I address that in the feedback. However I have yet to buy a new CD/DVD & the disc itself was damaged due poor packaging during its route from seller to my home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 11:36:43 AM PDT
Sandra Lopez says:
I'm a Cali girl, too, so I attempt as do you to buy from sellers that will get my item(s) to me the fastest. I did buy from a Cali seller, but didn't bother to complain -- I got what I paid for presumably.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 11:41:30 AM PDT
That's an interesting theory JBug - we have microwave ovens and a man on the moon, but we still don't have over the Rockies jiffy bags.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 3:55:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 3:56:17 PM PDT
Clancey says:
Yes, being on the East coast, I give East coasters my business - it really does make a difference shipping-wise, but if the cost is significantly lower on the West coast, I am not a martyr. I also avoid buying from marketers from my State, which is not that active in the marketplace. If I were in New York or Florida it might be different.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 4:10:54 PM PDT
Zaplightning says:
I have had pretty good luck. Once a CD from England never arrived and it was replaced. Another time a CD came in a digi-pack and was cracked, but replaced. I had one bad experience. I ordered a CD from Mahogany Rush's website, Second Hand Smoke, various artists doing Frank Marino songs. The CD came in a wrapped jewl case, however the CD was dirty and all scratched up. I wrote a few emails but the goof ball who runs the site didn't want to hear it.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 9:44:21 AM PDT
I've bought at least 200 used CD's from Amazon marketplace sellers.

Maybe 2 have been "not for resale" promotional copies, 6 or 7 had notches cut into them, 6 or 7 cracked or chipped jewel cases, but NONE had scratches that interfered with playback.

What's odd is the sudden flood of used CD's from the United Kingdom. Those probably come on a steam ship from 1912.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:36:11 AM PDT
I'm in New York state and haven't had much trouble with shipments from west of the Rockies, except the (expected) longer delivery time. When I'm looking for a special edition, I try to find comments that indicate e.g. the bonus DVD is included. My experience is that smaller dealers are responsive to queries about the edition, some larger ones aren't, they just say send it back if it's not what you wanted.
My pet peeve is sellers listing sets as "good" or better when discs are missing; I remember one DVD set that was listed "like new" even though it had no discs included!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:02:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 10:11:15 AM PDT
Auggo says:
I too have generally found "importcds" to be pretty good. They have a large stock, fair priced usually, & prompt most of the time. But if your having a problem that takes a little more of their time; " FORGET IT " !!! You can pretty much just expect to be " IGNORED " !!! I've seen others post the same thing, so I know that I'm not alone in my thinking on that. Not a good business practice, but their big so they don't need to please everybody!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:04:29 AM PDT
I will second the recommendation of Import CD's and Movie Mars. I have had good luck with almost all sellers, just a few mishaps. I do not buy from any Goodwill stores anymore as I have never received a completely whole product. There is always something missing.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:10:56 PM PDT
J. Coco says:
I've also ordered from Movie Mars many times and have always been very pleased.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6915 47 seconds ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4962 6 minutes ago
Your Favorite Song By . . . 2714 26 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 51 1 hour ago
A Taste of 2014... 1154 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4088 2 hours ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 305 6 hours ago
My Let It Bleed 10 7 hours ago
Steppenwolf 84 7 hours ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 4602 7 hours ago
Joe Cocker dies at 70 20 8 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 60 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions