Customer Discussions > Music forum

Eric Clapton's Best Live Albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2012 10:08:17 AM PDT
WillyvR says:
I really like Eric's Just One Night, 24 Nights and One More Car, Live albums. Please list the top 5 live albums you would consider his best.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 10:56:23 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
My favorite "live" stuff was Cream's BBC disc.
The sound quality is Ok but the performances are very good, raw & bluesy.
Dont worry, there are no 20 minute drum solos on this like other lps had (Live @ Fillmore).

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 11:34:43 AM PDT
alysha25 says:
How about Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood live at Madison Square Garden? Don't know if it's his best live album, but it's the only one I have with Live Eric Clapton! A 2 CD disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:38:46 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Unplugged.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:53:17 PM PDT
Train says:
I like "E.C. was here" and

"Just one Night" if just one night is the late seventies or early 80s concert from japan.

Also "Crossroads 2 live in the 70s" is pretty good, but its a box set, so I guess that doesnt count

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:13:02 PM PDT
J. Lupton says:
The Rainbow concert was pretty good and he had Pete Townsend to play off of.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:47:42 PM PDT
Best live has gotta be Derek and the Dominos Live At The Fillmore October 1970. This show rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:42:59 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
1-Just One Night...it is loaded with great tunes.

2-24 Nights...for the guitar on the 10 minute Wonderful Tonight!
(Not my favorite E.C. tune but a wonderful version!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:48:03 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Willy:

Great discussion idea. The gentleman is so accomplished, there are no wrong answers. My nominations at the moment:

1-Concert For George (As music director, emcee, and performer)
2-Derek and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore (2-cd Chronicles set)
3-Crossroads 2 (4-cd set Live in the 70's)
4-One More Car, One More Rider (Billy Preston, RIP, adds significant presence)
5-Just One Night

(2) Bonus tracks: All Our Past Times and Further On Up The Road (from The Last Waltz)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:49:02 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Totally agree, especially "Got To Get Better In A Little While".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:50:08 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
AMEN on both posts. 24 Nights very nearly made my list for that reason plus Pretending.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:06:31 PM PDT
I have to politely disagree with the adulation for Just One Night - none of the performances to my ears are any improvement to what was originally done in the studio - in fact, the playing-on-autopilot quotient is so high on some tracks it's difficult to tell any difference at all. If this is supposed to be top-drawer live Clapton then it doesn't say much about the other contenders. Sorry, but I think it's dull, dull, dull.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 3:02:17 PM PDT
parker lewis says:
The Derek & The Dominos Fillmore double album is possibly my favorite live album ever. Definitely my favorite guitar album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 3:04:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 3:05:56 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Lost In The Blues....Agree 100%, for me too, Clapton's Best live album.....Derek and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 3:07:39 PM PDT
I like "E.C. Was Here"-
ESPECIALLY the back cover.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:06:05 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Derek and the Dominos live at the Fillmore and the Rainbow concert are my favorite but Crossroads 2 has some really good stuff on it and I really like the live Cream from the BBC discs and from Those Were the Days box set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:27:01 PM PDT
Train says:
S C Harrison;

The version of Double Trouble on "Just one Night" smokes.
Give that track another listen and see if you dont like it better than the studio version.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 5:17:44 PM PDT
Derek and The Dominoes - In Concert. I chose this over the Dominoes Live at The Filmore due to the fact that In concert has the greatest live cut Clapton ever did, a full of pathos all over version of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aw7Jai7peM

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 5:37:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 6:29:57 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Live Cream Vol II or Goodbye Cream has some of the best Live EC for me, Sitttin' On Top Of The World from the latter in particular..
Solo stuff? EC Was Here for "Have You Ever Loved A Woman".
Derek And The Dominos Live was pretty good but not like the Cream stuff. Too druggy then Fender'y there after.

Glad i saw him in '07. Greatness!

almost forgot,,,maybe my fave Live EC, "Stormy Monday" from John Mayall's 'Looking Back' album, The Flamingo circa '66.
Sloppy? Poorly recorded? yeah, but Eric rages on this.
No wonder i never listen to his Strat stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 10:00:13 PM PDT
Some of The Palpitations have passed away. It would have been nice if they'd done a follow up album.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:55:45 AM PDT
Zerohouse says:
I like Grandpa Tom's list. Here's mine in ascending order:

5. The Concert For George: E.C.'s take on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is truly transcendent and the entire performance was one for the ages.

4. Delaney & Bonnie & Friends: "On Tour with Eric Clapton." After getting off the super group hype that surrounded Blind Faith, E.C. gets back to roots. This is the template for what was to become Derek and the Dominoes
so that is why I didn't include the D&tD's live album. Splitting hairs I suppose. I loved the "Layla" album beyond most of his other works.

3. "Five Live Yardbirds" with the Yardbirds. There are other similar recordings that have appeared over the years, but this is still the best overall. This is very early E.C. before the Bluesbreakers when the 'birds were similar
to the early Rolling Stones in terms of blues to rock and roll and the energy is amazing. The sound is somewhat primitive by today's technical standards but it is noteworthy that Epic records in the U.S. used several of
the tracks on that album to fill the U.S. albums without noting Clapton as the guitarist, leaving kids like me to believe it was Jeff Beck until we got older and learned the truth as import albums became available. That's
a slam on Jeff Beck, he's a true guitar wizard and technically one of the very best living guitarists.

2. "Just One Night." Probably my most controversial choice given it's from his early middle period but it demonstrates his mastery of being the professional he is in the best quality of sound and performances. There are
other solo live albums in his catalogue worthy of listening to, but this one and the others I list are the best examples IMHO. His playing on this album is spot on. He avoids living in the past. Perhaps his solo years' peak.

1. "Wheels of Fire" side 2 by Cream. Hands down. His friendship with other great guitarists of the mid-60's lead to this along with the dynamic tension between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Can anyone dispute that this
version of "Crossroads" isn't THE definitive version? Add Willie Dixon's "Spoonful" which then defines the extended blues form jam that sets the stage for all those who followed (Allmans, etc.). True the rest of the disc is
devoted to Jack Bruce's histrionic harmonica workout on "Train Time" and Bakers bombastic "Toad." But just those two aforementioned live takes established E.C. as the live performer of the age of rock. The two Live
Cream albums were partially taken from that same concert at the Fillmore and should be noted as worthy addendums. They weren't released until long after Cream expired but I'm glad they released those four live tracks
on "Wheels of Fire" since the first two sides were studio recordings that complemented the live sides. That was a great revelation in 1968.
studio tracks on "Wheels" were also amazing and set a higher bar for not only blues rock but what later became known as progressive rock.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:23:46 AM PDT
WillyvR says:
Good Stuff here on the post. I just picked up Crossroads Live in the Seventies. It is excellent.
Especially CD 2 and CD 3 but it's all great.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 2:07:10 PM PDT
The History of Eric Clapton.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:52:41 AM PDT
WillyvR says:
Is the History of Eric Clapton a live album?

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 11:23:01 AM PDT
tmoore says:
No - History of Eric Clapton is not a live album. It is a collection of tracks of Clapton from Yardbirds through Derek and the Dominoes. It was THE collection of Clapton for me until the Crossroads box set came out; and it is still pretty vital as there are a few tracks on it which did not wind up on the box set; these tracks are Tribute to Elmore, I Want to Know, Sea of Joy, Only You Know and I Know, I Don't Want to Discuss It, Teasin', and Tell the Truth (Jam).

It does have 4 live tracks - it has all of Side 3 of Wheels of Fire (Crossroads and Spoonful) and also two live Delaney and Bonnie tracks (Only You Know and I Know, and I Don't Want to Discuss It).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions