Customer Discussions > Music forum

buying a song vs. buying the album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 9:42:25 AM PST
I am interested in buying the song, and not the whole album. Alot of times only two of the songs are interesting. So on Amazon is that possible?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:50:08 AM PST
Yes, you can usually download just one song on Amazon. Just open up the album, and if there is a track listing, click on the button to the right that says "Buy MP3". The only songs that I know of that you can't do that with, are the ones that say "Album Only", where the "Buy MP3" button normally is.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:20:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:21:57 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Yeah use Amazon "SINCE THERE ARE NO MORE RECORD STORES!!! AHHH AHHH AHHHHHHH!!!"

(Scream the all capital's part like Sam Kinison!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:00:38 AM PST
I feel your pain. Especially on Record Store Day every April. Bands put out special limited release vinyls for that day only and they are only available at local mom and pop record stores, of which there are NONE in my area ... or even close for that matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:11:25 AM PST
viva,

WE LIVE IN A F--ING DESERT!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:25:07 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Janel, always remember that when you buy a whole album often it's the tracks that didn't grab you at first, become the 'growers' and often end up your favourites, while the instant 'hits' can lose their shine pretty quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:35:27 AM PST
C. Harding says:
That is certainly true in a lot of cases, but there are a few CDs in my collection that I wish I had just gotten "that one song" from because the rest of the album was a waste of $9. Of course, a lot of those can be filed under 'I should've known better'! haha

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 5:40:29 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Today I bought an egg but not the chicken....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 6:43:09 PM PDT
who? says:
But the egg came in a twelve pack didn't it?

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 7:32:47 PM PDT
Can you download an egg?

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 7:58:54 PM PDT
dragonfly says:
If you know the bands discography well, some releases you may want the CD
and some only a couple of songs. I often download multiple songs that I like
and my media player will group them together into a playlist of that band.
I also can download those into my MP3 player. As to the subject of quality
of downloaded songs to CD's there is little difference because both are digital.
There are some songs that are so good that several different bands may have
recorded them. I can download those to make a playlist for comparison.
I love to research music this way. Have Fun!

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 8:48:15 PM PDT
The real fun of vinyl collecting is 45s, or 78s if you swing back that way. Until the middle '70s, there were oodles of one-off singles' tries with no corresponding album tracks. Rosemary Clooney cut a style followup to "Come On-A My House" with Mitch Miller, "My Baby Rocks Me (with a Steady Roll)," on 45 in January, 1954. Uh, it's a cover of a 1924 race 78 by Trixie Smith that was, well, not meant for sophisticated middle-class suburban white pop audiences. Rollicking harpsicord and Clooney crooning about her man's mojo....

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 2:35:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2013 11:28:26 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I used to buy quite a few 45rpm singles. Even a few cd singles. I just can't feel the same about mp3s. I've bought a few but it's rare.

Lately if I like a song I'll download the video and convert it to mp3. I still end up not listening to it more than a couple times.

I still prefer a cd or record, and listening to the whole thing. I'm not really interested in an artist who can't come up with more than a couple good songs on an album.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 3:30:03 AM PDT
I used to collect both albums and singles. When CD's took over and the CD single was basically a bust I found this to be a major problem. Albums were my preference but there were a lot of songs I liked on albums that were simply duds. I was late to the party with MP3's and then eventually caught up. While I think of the money I have saved by getting my one or two excellent songs, there is nothing like a whole CD. Except for the great sound of a CD compared to a 45, it is even less than a 45. No physical thing to hold or read. Even though CD's themselves don't reflect the album art as well, at least there is SOMETHING. And the liner notes are much more in depth and informative. But with MP3's you get the song. Period. That's it. Again, I am not totally complaining because there are hundreds, probably thousands of songs I like that I don't care about the album. I have roughly a couple of thousand CD's. So I AM a fan of a complete CD as a whole piece of art. But not every good song is in with that kind of structure so MP3's are necessary for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 5:10:52 AM PDT
Miriam says:
I've had both experiences - the "growers" and the waste of money. You can't always tell in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 8:12:05 PM PDT
No, the hen does that.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 11:54:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2013 11:58:27 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
When I first bought music the LP (record albums) and cassette tapes were very close in the popularity polls and a few years later compact discs were added in ending my LP buying era. I have seen Cd singles but since the I-Pod/MP3 era began things have evolved once again and they don't seem to be around anymore. I would suspect that within a few years the tech world will introduce something new again that I will have to take a pass on as well as I still enjoy Cd's but it's all up to what new sonic marvel is pointed in my direction.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 5:55:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2013 5:56:52 AM PDT
a customer says:
I am always buying a song here or there to check out the remastering etc . It's so cool it gets saved in my cloud and I can see all the songs I have downloaded . Ronnie Hawkins -- Who Do You Love was the last one downloaded. I can see how much I have spent and I go aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh .

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 2:44:04 PM PDT
Will this download thingy catch on?

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 8:16:13 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
I clicked on this not looking carefully, thinking it said "buying a bong vs. buying an album". To borrow from a quote from the Fabulous furry freak bothers, "Dope will get you through times of no music better than music will get you through times of no dope."

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 11:03:49 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Is it true that Willie nelson can smoke from his bong at the bottom of a swimming pool? I know it sounds crazy but...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 3:36:22 PM PDT
If anybody could do it Willie can!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions