elevator music - most of the elevators i've taken recently were silent

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2012 8:22:47 AM PDT
A TJ H F says:
So what is elevator music exactly?

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:26:04 AM PDT
mac says:
Its when you take the words out of a Bobby Goldsboro song.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:31:11 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Music that will hopefully take your mind off the problem of somebody "ripping one" when you are riding the elevator.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:34:39 AM PDT
Once when I was in a hotel I asked if they could pipe John Cage's 4'33'' on a continuous loop through the elevator system. They never got the joke.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:38:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 9:39:03 AM PDT
Most of the great elevator bands have sadly faded away. I went to an elevator music festival one time, and man, those guys soothed my ass off.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:49:06 AM PDT
Dammit Harrison, you beat me to that. That was the first thing that came to my mind too.

My parents had a Time/Life set of elevator music called "As You Remember Them" (they used to kid about that title a lot, but it didn't stop them from listening to it all the time). I'm surprised I bothered to give any music a chance after growing up to that.

When songs that were edgy when you grew up are now being rearranged for strings and light keyboards, you understand what's so wrong with it all. But I assume it was never meant for serious listening; just a way to sooth your nerves while being trapped in a very small space with people you don't know.

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:50:57 AM PDT
A TJ H F says:
But where are these elevators exactly? I've been in office buildings, some hotels, apartments lately, and no music in the elevators.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 9:53:27 AM PDT
mac says:
Turns out that elevator music caused the economic crisis of 1989, and thereafter any elevator playing MUSAK had to be licensed.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:15:49 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Sounds like Ted Nugent got his wish! I believe it was 1989 when the Muzak company was being sold and Ted Nugent put in a pretty hefty bid, with the stated intention of "shutting it down."

The sale, of course, did not go through, but man... talk about one of your all-time rock and roll maneuvers. Ted's taken a lot of grief in recent years, and most of it justified imho, but.... THAT would have been legendary.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:29:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 10:31:06 AM PDT
10 hrs of Elevator music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PvBzDlZGs&feature=related:

I remember in the early 80's walking thru Safeway and hearing the same kinda music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:35:49 AM PDT
mac,

re: "Turns out that elevator music caused the economic crisis of 1989...."

....which is still in progress....

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 12:14:44 PM PDT
Here's info about elevator music: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_music

Posted on May 17, 2012 12:42:42 PM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
If there's a serious interest, I'd recommend almost any of the music from Command Records back in the late 50s and early 60s. You can find a ton of it in the usual used vinyl haunts like Goodwill, etc. Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, The Ray Charles Singers (no, not THAT Ray Charles), Doc Severinsen were all part of the library. Like lounge music, it's an acquired taste, but fun in its own quirky way.

Posted on May 17, 2012 2:06:41 PM PDT
'Dammit Harrison, you beat me to that. That was the first thing that came to my mind too.'

I'm sorry, David - but at least we're singing from the same hymn-sheet!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:20:23 PM PDT
Maybe they would have been okay with an elevator version of it...

Posted on May 17, 2012 7:30:42 PM PDT
You might look up a book, ELEVATOR MUSIC, by Joseph Lanza. More or less chronicles the corporate use of "furniture music" or "wallpaper music" for mood/mind control. Based on the Amazon reviews I've read of it (I have the book), it sets off easy listening fans. I never knew there were TRUE FANS of musicians like Mantovanni.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:21:48 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Muzak is still alive. I heard it just today at the "Panda Express" restaraunt. I have always liked it. It is very mood inducing. I will bet you I was the only person who dined at Panda Express who was aware of the muzak.
I felt very relaxed...or maybe it was all the grease and MSG in my beef and brockly entre.
There used to be vocal Muzack in the past I have some on CD. You ain't lived 'till you have heard the Yardbirds "Heart Full Of Soul" done by a choral group accompanied by strings.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:07:14 AM PDT
Try the Enoch Light Singers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tjf9eG8WE
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  May 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions