Customer Discussions > Mystery And Suspense forum

Need help finding a new Suspence Author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2009 12:05:31 PM PDT
I need Help! I just finished Robert Crais's books and I always get depressed when I finish everything by an author because now I have to find someone else. So far I have read everything by: Lee Child, David Baldacci, Iris Johansen, Brad Thor, and Vince Flynn.

I like something that grabs you on the first page, and keeps you hooked until the end. I like books with a strong leading character like Jack Reacher or Elvis Cole. I also like books with cops, FBI, special forces, or CIA stuff. I also like books that have very little cursing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If so...please HELP!

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 2:18:11 PM PDT
ReadingMama says:
Try out Tess Gerritsen. Her series with medical examiner Maura Isles and cop Jane Rizzoli is great! These two women are very strong main characters and while they are extremely different personalities, they are collegues who respect each other and become tenative friends. Gerritsen's writing is rich! Wonderful characters, exciting plots, and so well written. Hope you enjoy!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 10:48:15 AM PDT
Ron says:
Try James Patterson. His books, especially those with hero Alex Cross, are page turners. He writes with short chapters so you can read several chapters in a few minutes. I work in a library and Patterson's books are very popular.

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 10:50:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2009 10:54:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 6:20:49 PM PDT
G. Ritter says:
Theresa Monsour has 3 books with female detective Paris Murphy; a nice complex character. Kevin O'brien writes tricky
mysteries with lots of red herrings; reading his books, you are constantly suspicious of all the characters as "the doer".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 2:08:50 PM PDT
My current favorite author is Julia Spencer-Fleming, also Jack DuBrul, James D. Doss and of course, Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston. Read the books in order. A good website is Stop, You're Killing Me! which lists mysteries by author or title. The end of the cold war sure put a damper on my thriller reading!!

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 9:37:04 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 5, 2012 7:14:25 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 2:30:15 AM PST
Write Guy says:
Dick Francis, a series of mysteries mostly set against British thoroughbred and steeplechase racing. I'm 61; I started reading them from the library when I was in high school and had continued since. It's not a one-hero series, but most of Francs' heros have one thing in common ... a defining flaw that must be overcome in the character's journey.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 9:42:06 AM PST
Try Micheal Connelly and John Sandford. Also if you like english mysteries there's Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes and P.D. James. Tony Hillerman writes like James Doss. All are good.

Posted on May 21, 2010 7:57:00 AM PDT
Try a suspence thriller, GOG - an End Time Mystery by Dan Richardson. The story is set in the Middle East, Egypt, and has a gripping plot, unusual twists and interesting charecters...
GOG - an End Time Mystery

Posted on May 23, 2010 2:51:44 PM PDT
Grifsy says:
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware and Miles Sturgis books are good. Though they tend to be more gruesome, so are Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books.

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 2:13:04 PM PDT
If you like historical mystery/suspense novels, don't miss Rubies of the Viper, a new work by a new author that is racking up five-star ratings on http://amazon.com. I've read it twice now and got even more out of it the second time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 1:32:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2010 6:11:21 PM PDT
Please try Barry Eisler. Start with the first one in the series, Rain Fall. I enjoy Eisler's character development along with the intense, complex plots.
(I've read all of his books on my Kindle or iPhone while on the treadmill.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 7:00:11 AM PDT
I agree with the Michael Connelly series for the character Harry Bosch. He is an awesome homicide detective in LA with his own sordid baggage. I also really enjoy Nelson DeMille....mostly with the character John Corey. Also Fern Michaels and her Sisterhood series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 1:16:53 PM PDT
Well, I do not know if you like english authors. I have a special predilection for Anne Perry, an english author of romances of suspense that is well established as the most likely sucessor of Agatha Christie! She writes about the 19th century and her books are a pleasant mixture of Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens with a subtle twist for the worst types of crime and the worst villains I have ever read about! Kings, nobles, thiefs, anyone. And the detectives are wonderful. I have a predilection for William Monk, because he is so angry and able! He is a man on his forties, detective of Scotland Yard in the lates 1850 and one day he wakes up without no memory of his life after an accident. And his first case after the accident is to discover if he is guilty of the murder of a decorated war hero! The characters are compelling and emotional, almost tearing you apart with anguish because they are so human. The other detective is Thomas Pitt, a policeman married with a middle class lady and they investigate crimes in the end of the 1890 (the time that Sherlock Holmes began his career!). William Monk´s books and Thomas and Charlotte Books are amazing reconstructions of the Victorian era and the murders and investigations without the CSIs or fingerprints are masterpieces of human psychology and of the pure logic of detection, like Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. It is not a coincidence that the creators of these famous characters are english ! ( Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie). Ms Perry drank in the fountain of their worthy antecessors and made two memorable series that is worthwhile to read. You will not be disappointed. I was not. And I have ALL her books!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 4:11:31 PM PDT
Steven Pajak says:
Project Hindsight
Joe Meehan is awoken by a phone call and on the other end is a woman who inexplicably disappeared thirteen years ago. She is crying and desperate for his help. After thirteen years of wondering what happened to her he is suddenly faced with a tough decision; will he let her back into his life? When he picks her up on a rainy night, he has no idea of the sinister on-goings of her past or of the danger he will soon find himself in when her past catches up with her.

Sergeant Major Carl Harkenson, once in charge of the day-to-day operations of a top secret remote viewing project, is suddenly reassigned to Washington by his commanding officer, Colonel Leslie Matheson. After several months he is abruptly recalled to Mount Weather when one of the two remote viewers does something considered impossible: escaped. Harkenson soon learns that his replacement-a sadistic psychologist and former CIA interrogator, Captain Abraham Shaker-has done horrible things to the viewers under the authority of Colonel Matheson. Feeling betrayed, Harkenson confronts Matheson to find that the man who was his commander, comrade and friend for more than thirty years is not the man he thought he knew.

When Colonel Matheson presents Harkenson with the choice between dishonorable discharge or returning to Washington and taking a promotion in return for his assistance, Harkenson finds himself having to make a moral decision. Matheson soon begins to suspect that Harkenson is compromised by his emotions and can no longer be trusted to protect the program. And with the remote viewer at large and the future of Project Hindsight at risk, Colonel Matheson and Captain Shaker will stop at nothing to protect America's secret weapon: psychic espionage.

Darkness Within
Reluctant psychic Susan Moore witnessed the brutal slaying of a young boy in a vision. Despite her psychic gifts, she is unable to save the boy from a brutal ending. Riddled with guilt because she was unable to save the boy, she feels her life spiraling out of control.

In a small Texas town, Sheriff Steven Ames is desperate to catch a killer before tragedy strikes again. The town is on edge and demanding justice, spurred on by the father of one of the victims. And all this in an election year.

When fate brings Ames and Moore together, the two join forces to stop the killer before tragedy strikes again.

In the midst of chaos and danger Susan must come to terms with the limitations of her psychic abilities while Ames must battle his own feelings of inadequacy and deal with a town that no longer has faith in his abilities as a peace officer.

And when a rogue reporter leaks important information about the investigation, Susan is in danger as she becomes the hunted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 12:09:44 PM PDT
Try David Wiltse, Michael Connelly and Charlie Huston... not to mention Josh Bazell.

Good luck with the cursing thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 8:19:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 13, 2011 9:06:09 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 10:07:55 PM PDT
PeggyinTX says:
Here's a new author. Think of a Number: A Novel. Halfway through and cannot put it down. I think this author is a rising star.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 12:38:45 AM PDT
The best : Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist; Ridley Pearson - everything; Harlan Coben; Robert Parker; Faye Kellerman (better than husband Jonathan)writes L.A. detective Peter Decker; Nelson DeMille; J.A. Jance: Beaumont :first detective series placed in Seattle; second: Joanna Brady :female sheriff in New Mexico; Dana Stabenow : Kate Shugak - start with #1 and follow thru; Lisa Scottoline; Greg Iles - everything; Margaret Coel - SW female lawyer teams up with Catholic priest to help local Indians; William Tapply - long-running lawyer series; Steve Martini - another good lawyer series; C. J. Box does Joe Pickett, a forest ranger; Connnie Shelton does Charlie Parker - good reads; ALL GOOD IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 3:58:15 AM PDT
PeggyinTX says:
Thanks, Donna, for your recommendations. Several were "old friends" but there were others who are now on my sample list.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 8:03:44 AM PDT
Book Lady says:
Hi, I know what you mean I am always in a dry spell because I read everything my authors write and then I am waiting for the next new book. I have listed some favorites of my book club below I hope this helps and if you have any suggestions for me please send them.

Catherine Coulter FBI Series
Nora Roberts - Too many to name but go to fantasticfiction.com you will get biography,all books/series in order, her suggestions and other authors that write in that genre
Carlene Thompson - not series but her books are very good!
Sandra Brown - not series but she has some good suspense books
Envy,
Iris Johansen, Eve Duncan Series, Donovan Enterprises Series I know you listed her not sure if you have read these series?
Linda Howard Cia Spies
Elizabeth Lowell, St. Kilda Series, Rarieties Unlimited

Happy Reading!

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 7:24:03 AM PDT
Judy Clemens' first series is awesome. Also try Michele Martinez and Cornelia Read.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 11:59:20 AM PDT
James Lee Burke's books set in New Orleans are all winners.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 7:28:02 PM PDT
I recommend John Sandford or Jeffery Deaver
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery And Suspense forum (113 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  May 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions