Customer Discussions > Mystery And Suspense forum

Independent Films that Really Impressed You

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2008 9:00:52 AM PDT
Sometimes an independent movie comes along and is truly amazing.

Some of my favorites include:
Rushmore
Being John Malkovich
Eraserhead
Shimmer
Memento
Waking Ned Devine
Donnie Darko
Raising Arizona
The Machinist
The Royal Tennenbaums
Waiting for Guffman
Magnolia

I am drawn to oddness/quirkiness, humor, psychological turmoil, mystery, and insight into the human condition.
There are many indie films I still need to see, like Lone Star, Requiem for a Dream, Pulp Fiction, etc.

So what are your choices? You can do a list, or just mention a couple of movies and why they mean a lot. I'm looking for recommendations of good cinema.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 3:33:30 AM PDT
Rick Henry says:
Really ODD?
Pi (like the math sign)
The Machinist (Christian Bale; I don't think he can do anything uninteresting!)
----- ahhhh, I see you already mentioned that.
The Cube (1 & 2) Crazy, bloody, mindboggling: a definite nightmare.
Mulholland Drive (I think is correct: a younger Naomi Watts was in it).
The Boxer (while this might not fit the genre, it is memorable; and Hilary & Jackie -
both of which had impressive performances by Emma Watson, indeed. The end
part of Jackie was an Oscar worthy performance: incredible.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 6:41:52 AM PDT
Hi Rick

One of my favorite films ever is Mulholland Drive. Is it such a puzzle in so some ways. It always reminds me of Sunset Boulevard, Nancy Drew, and sort of like a dark twist on It's a Wonderful Life.

I love David Lynch, as a rule. Sometimes he goes over the top but he often balances the dark and evil with light/beauty/romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 8:19:41 AM PDT
Rick Henry says:
I knew I forgot one. Rather recent:
Sorry, Haters. Starts strange, runs slow, but really gradually pulls you in.
This is a true psycho-twisted tale. Only thing to remember is that it is related
to post 9/11 events (motive)... which isn't all that clear until --- !
Good luck. (I'm more into tradional things, actually. But can appreciate the other in small doses.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 9:27:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2008 9:33:51 PM PDT
There have been so many great ones,

"Eraserhead" and David Lynch's newest effort "Inland Empire"

"101 Reykjavík" is a great comedy from Iceland.

"Spun" is a black twisted comedy/drama about meth addicts.

"Nadja" is an art house vampire film by Michael Almerayda produced by David Lynch which is about more that what you see on the surface, with Elina Lowensohn, Peter Fonda, Jared Harris, Martin Donovan, Galaxy Craze and a cameo by David Lynch. He's done some other cool stuff including his 1989 debut "Twister", an off beat comedy staring Harry Dean Stanton and Crispin Glover, Suzy Amis and Dylan McDermott and "The Eternal" but "Nadja" is my favorite by him. Read my review on IMDb "The most misunderstood Vampire film ever made"
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0110620/usercomments

"Habit" is a pretty good indie Vampire film by Larry Fessenden. It played continuously at midnight movies in NYC for a couple of years I think.

"Ganja and Hess" is a vampire film made by the late African-American actor and film maker Bill Gunn made in 1973, more midnight movie art house stuff. Staring Duane Jones, the actor best known for his lead role in the seminal Independent horror film by George Romero, "Night of the Living Dead" another great and influential indie film.

"Reservoir Dogs" is Quentin Tarantino's 1992 debut film, one of the greatest indie films that I've ever seen.

"The Evil Dead" is Sam Raimi's early Independent effort (1981), a fun film staring cult hero actor Bruce Campbell.

"Puzzlehead" is a recent indie film that's a sci-fi twist on the Frankenstein theme.

David Cronenberg's under appreciated 2002 effort "Spider" is a fantastic film about a schizophrenic man reliving his past trauma and finally realizing the reality behind his memories of a childhood disaster. It was a labor of love for everyone involved and had excellent performances by Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Gabriel Byrne, John Neville and Lynn Redgrave. I think it's Ralph Fiennes greatest performance that I've seen.Truly underrated.

Jim Jarmusch has done some very fine indie films including "Down By Law", "Dead Man" and the very cool Urban Samurai/Gangster/Comedy "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai". I have not seen his other films but I really want to, I love his style!

"Narc" was a 2002 indie film by Joe Carnahan staring Ray Liotta and Jason Patric. Good story line and excellent creative cinematography utilizing many different film stocks and creative editing. I hope Joe does more films, I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Posted on Mar 21, 2009 5:58:13 PM PDT
Pow Wow Highway
Smoke Signals -- Both star Gary Farmer who is an under-rated actor and native american; both movies are great if you like a native american flavor to your movies. He is one heck of a musician too, he now has a band which is pretty good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 7, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions