Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Sports mysteries

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 6:03:38 PM PDT
I am looking for some new sports mysteries, books I would not have heard of previously. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 6:12:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 6:12:33 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Have you read Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series? He's a former basketball star with a blown-out knee turned sports agent/lawyer. Very funny.

ETA: not new though

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 6:16:34 PM PDT
Thanks. Yeah, I've read those. Looking for something new.

Thanks,

John

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 6:27:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2012 6:27:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 8:57:33 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
The six Mickey Rawlings baseball mysteries, written by Troy Soos.
Murder At Fenway Park
Murder At Ebbets Field
Murder At Wrigley Field
Hunting A Detroit Tiger
The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
Hanging Curve

Rawlings is an oft-traded utility player in the early decades of the 20th century, who solves the murders of teammates, hate crimes, kidnappings, all the good stuff mysteries are made of. Soos captures the feel of what it might've been like to be a ballplayer in those pre-primadonna days. The itchy, heavy wool uniforms, the endless hot, the dusty bus rides, the nasty owners, you can almost feel the splinters from the dugout benches.

The books were all written in the 1990's. Soos has written several other books since then, but the entries in the Rawlings series are worth reading, and re-reading. I'll probably read them again over the summer!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:53:15 AM PDT
Great tip. Thanks. If they are on Kindle, I will grab one today.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:44:05 PM PDT
Mark Jacobs says:
Robert Parker has a very good one in his Spenser series called Mortal Stakes. Spenser investigates a pitcher who may be losing games on purpose. In general, Parker incorporates some sports into many books in the series. His main character is a former boxer, himself.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:17:42 AM PDT
Otto Penzler has several books of short stories involving sports:

Murder at the Racetrack: Original Tales of Mystery and Mayhem Down the Final Stretch from Today's Great Writers

Murder in the Rough: Original Tales of Bad Shots, Terrible Lies, and Other Deadly Handicaps from Today's Great Writers

Murder at the Foul Line: Original Tales of Hoop Dreams and Deaths from Today's Great Writers

Murder Is My Racquet: Fourteen Original Tales of Love, Death, and Tennis by Today's Great Writers (Original Tennis Mysteries)

Many of the writers also do full-length books, so this should give you a list....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:30:08 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
That sounds like a good introduction to sports mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:59:13 AM PDT
Myron Bolitar is a sports agent in a series of thrillers written by Harlan Coben. You might like them.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:01:41 AM PDT
I found this link when I was looking for different types of mysteries - http://www.wakefieldlibrary.org/lists/zrasportssmys.htm

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:19:40 PM PDT
Lbadger99 says:
You may also want to try Mike Lupica and/or Dick Francis.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions