Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Barb's Books & Chat

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2011 5:46:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 5:46:44 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Welcome to Barb's Books & Chat (II)

AUTHORS: NO POSTING OF BOOKS OR PROMOTING OF BOOKS.
NO DROP INS TO MENTION YOUR BOOK OR A FRIEND'S BOOK

All participants should be here as book readers and discussers--we'd like to get to know everyone as a reader, although authors
are welcome, of course and we have several authors chat on this thread.

Mysteries are our main discussion topic, but any book talk in the
following genres is welcome:

Mystery, Thriller, Suspense and Crime

Police Procedural, Private Eye and Forensics

Classic literature, Historical Fiction, Fantasy,

Humor, Biography and Romance

Tell us what you are reading, what you have enjoyed, or what
you put down and won't pick up again!

Off Topic conversation is definitely Welcome but we don't want
it taking over the thread. So let's shoot for a 50/50 mix of books
and Off Topic. That doesn't mean you have to mention a book
in every post. Some posts will be all book and others all chat.
We're looking for BALANCE where a full page on the thread
will be half books and half chat. Some of us read a book a day
or a week, some have less time to read. But we all have
something to say and want to join the conversation!!!
We are friends with families, pets, complicated lives and
everyday hassles. Sometimes we just need to vent and need a
friend to listen...this is the place!!!

Rules are few, but we would appreciate compliance:

*Please ALL CAPS to show book titles
*No discussions or comments on politics or religion
*No private blog pushing or other Amazon thread promoting.

******* Treat others with respect and courtesy. *******
**** We can disagree without arguing or getting ugly****

Authors Please REMOVE your book title from your signature.
We have seen authors posting 5 times a day with their book
title under their profile name as a way of advertising. If you
are an interesting poster other members will look up your
profile and then see that you are an author.

Barbara Lane
Moderator of Barb's Books & chat

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:47:11 PM PDT
Last and first.

Well, first after Barb anyway. What an honor.

Do I win something?

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:56:50 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Anna

Re Do you win something for being first? Free accomodation at Barb's house in Sydney Australia when you visit!!!

Everyone

Thank you to all who participated in Barb's Books & Chat (I)
This is our second thread with the same members and a few newbies (new members)
joining in. We love hearing what is in your TBR (to be read pile) and or what you are reading right now. No it doesn't have to be a mystery It can be about anything!!!

What I like new members to do is to email me asap when they arrive I love to have everyone email address as there is lots of behind the scenes stuff also. Your email address will not be given out to anyone else. But e.g. some members talk about their dogs and then send me a photo of their dog which I then forward on to the other members so we can see what the cute little bundle looks like.

I am listening to
MAELSTROM by Michael MacConnell

Barb down Under

Amanda Peck we are still waiting for a photo of your dog pack. Love hearing about them.

New carpet laid in my two good rooms this morning looks great. The room looks so large without furniture in it. (Thanks mum for the birthday present. See mums can be really handy some times!!!)

Barb down under

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:08:36 PM PDT
Oh, boy. Oh, boy. I've always wanted to visit Australia. When I retire I'm coming out! And I want to see Skippy. :)

Here's my newest guess on your big secret. Funny: You're adopting Hugh Jackman. I'll come and visit even sooner.

Serious: You're expanding your business.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:09:53 PM PDT
Barb,

You'll have to tell us what the new carpet looks like. What color is it? Does it have a pattern or is it plain? Is it wool, nylon, or what?

Linda Marie

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:10:54 PM PDT
Rhiannon says:
woo hoo! we are on our second thread, and I am the second one tracking the discussion. Oh Barb I am going to have you change the email address you use for me, since the one you have is getting chocked full of junk and having some other issues.

I am finishing up ANGELS FLIGHT (for the second time) right now, downloaded the "Mickey Haller Trilogy" for audio as my paper copy of LINCOLN LAWYER is a first ed and getting signed by Michael Connelly one of these days. I am reading on my Kindle THE BONE GARDEN by Kate Ellis, a wonderful English police procedural with elements of archeology tied in. Ellis' series is wonderful and I am glad I discovered it and bought many of them before the kindle price went up a couple dollars (I got them at 6.66, they are now mostly 8.XX).

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:14:25 PM PDT
Rhiannon says:
Oh my serious guess to Barbs big secret (BBS) I think she is coming to the US and meeting us at BoucherCon. I hope she brings some of her favorite beauty products to share with those of us who need serious help with our skin.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:12:30 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
REVIEW
LITTLE FUZZY by H Beam Piper

On the planet Zarathustra, Jack Holloway, a freelance sunstone prospector, finds his front door open. Inside he finds a cute, tiny creature approximately two feet tall standing in his shower stall. Jack is fascinated with him and decides to let the fury little fellow stay around.

"Little Fuzzy" as Jack ends up calling him seems to be extremely bright and doesn't need to be shown things twice. Little Fuzzy then brings the rest of his family to move into the house. The happy family, including Jack, cohabitate really well together.

The company's bad guys want to take the Fuzzy family away to investigate them. Of course, Jack is worried that they will be harmed or even killed. The company will loose its right to this planet if there is found to be any natives living there.

This story would be suitable for any teenager or adult who just loves fury little animals.

This book was originally published in 1962, but is every bit as good today as it was back then. The story starts out a bit slow, but then it improves and speeds up and carries you along happily.

Barb down Under

Rhiannon
re secret (count down maybe 5th Sept I should know officially the outcome)(20 days to go)

No I am not comming to Bouchercon. With me flying to Hong kong every 4 to 6 weeks from now and for the next 2.5 years doubt whether I will be flying over to the USA as well. Seeing I am still working flat out in my beauty salon business. All my clients are understanding and will make their appointment around my trips away. Most trips will be 5 days up to 11 days each time depending.

Rhiannon I have noted your new email address and the old one eleted!!! thank you for emailing.

Linda Marie
re carpet colour will take a photo in the next few days and send it over
its not chocolate , capaccino no maybe capaccino with a hint of grey in it.
all one colour. I'll take a photo of Harry (my ecleutus parrot) in front of it and I'll send that over (remind me!!!)

Barb down Under

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:49:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 7:51:09 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
BdU, Linda S[M] (Sorry), A24K and Rhiannon,

Congrats and a big hug from your first man on board.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:13:28 PM PDT
Mr. B.,

I guess we can call this Round 2 of BBC--not in the boxing sense, of course.

Congrats to Barb and all the rest of us for this wonderful year (minus a month and ten days).

May the force be with us.

Linda Marie

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 8:27:42 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
Linda M.,

I came over from Insomniacs . . . on Barb's invitation. Never looked back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:29:39 PM PDT
mysterywoman says:
Hi Barb,
And they claimed we'd never last!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well we showed them!!!!!!!!!!!

One small hiccup-the second BBC needs a way to distinguish it from the first BBC since both will be on the index for some time.

Maureen

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:31:37 PM PDT
Mr. B.,

Alas, that was before my time, but I'm glad to be here now.

Linda Marie

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:56:37 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
Maureen,

doesn't make a diff as you can't do anything but read the posts. Can't post over 1000.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:58:40 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
Linda M.,

In fact, I think I was the sole male for upteen yantos. No. Maybe my Chitown author was here with me or just before.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 11:20:07 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
mystery women

re I really should have put Barb's books & chats (II) but hey within one day the old BBC will vanish into the world of hidden old posts unless someone has a link. but the current BBC will be great full of great friends and great book suggestions.

I have a lot of credits to use up on Audible now. within 6 weeks when they run out. I can't help myself at the audible sales. I just keep on buying and paying the cheap sale prices and not using my credits. At least with the sale it brings books to my attention that I normally wouldn't have considered looking at.

Linda Marie
re May the force be with us.

he he he hey we know we are great group and very bonded. Don't forget if someone says anything that someelse might take offense at DON'T email me privately and we will talk about it.

I was going to say "don't get your knickers in a knot" and I thought
oh that is a very common Australian saying.
What is the USA version
don't get your nose bent??
don't taken offense you goose??
what would you all say???

EVERYONE ROLL CALL

What are you reading at the moment?

What is in your TBR (To be read pile)

I am listening to
MAELSTROM by Michael macconnell &
IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT BY John Saul.

My TBR pile has in it

LAST KNOWN VICTIM by Erica Spindler
THE RUINS by Scott smith
PRICE OF FIRE by Daniel Silva

Barb down Under
Kangaroo Country

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:35:33 AM PDT
Hi, Barb Down Under and all,

We're in the big time, going into second edition of the BBC. Good on us.

I've been helping moderate the Sydney Sea Eagle Cam, streaming live a white-bellied sea eagle nest in a preserve area of Sydney Olympic Park. The eggs are hatched, and there are two adorable white fluff balls with big eyes and beaks to get to watch, the seaglets known as s1 and s2. I haven't been doing much reading except for information on white-bellied sea eagles, beautiful, majestic birds.

I'm finishing up on Stella Gibson's NIGHTINGALE WOOD, a beautifully written Cinderella tale just before the outbreak of WWII. I've already bought the three novels for our fall reading, and there are way too many DTB in the stacks of TBR to enumerate. I also splurged the other day and downloaded bunches of the Georgette Heyer Regency novels onto 'my precious' while the books are $1.99 each; all the mysteries and historicals are reduced also, in honor of the 100th anniversary of her birth.

Some of the books in the stacks include:
Robert Richardson, THE HAND OF STRANGE CHILDREN
Stuart Pawson, A VERY PRIVATE MURDER
Stuart Palmer, HILDEGARDE WINTERS: UNCOLLECTED RIDDLES
Ellis Peters, THE TRINITY CAT AND OTHER MYSTERIES
Leigh Russell, CUT SHORT
Jonathan King, THE BLUE EDGE OF MIDNIGHT
Scott Mackay, OLD SCORES and many more.

The Southern terms for "don't get your knickers in a twist" are "don't get your panties in a wad" and "don't get in an uproar."

We are excited for you and Jurgen over his new citizenship. Way to go!

Linda S.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 5:10:39 AM PDT
I use "Don't get your knickers in a twist" and everyone understands me. Some say, "panties in a bunch". "Don't get all bent" or "...all bent out of shape." Then there's "in a dither".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 5:51:12 AM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
BDU, LINDA S, PATRICK

Don't have a hizzy,

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 6:27:01 AM PDT
Rhiannon says:
"Don't get your panties in a twist"

its especially effective on males because here "panties" is a distinctly female term for underwear.

Started A PERFECT EVIL by Alex Kava.
The actual crime part of the story addressed in the prolog was interesting, then chapter one starts and we begin with some mildly explicit foreplay between the man I assume is the "hero" and some random woman he is pondering his disinterest in. Throwing it in at some point is fine with me, but starting your book with it is a little trashy. I am drumming my fingers going "yea yea lets get to the story already".

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 6:44:35 AM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
Rhiannon,

I would just skip over that. Hmm. Maybe not.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 10:13:01 AM PDT
Hi, Barb - congratulations on BBC2! I told you in my e-mail how busy we've been - well I got in to work this morning and the other person who does my job (the third is on vacation) was being carted off by the paramedics. Hope he's OK, but he may end up on disability, at least, if it's something serious.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 11:21:50 AM PDT
Hi, Barb Down Under and everyone,

Finished NIGHTINGALE WOOD this morning. I'm impressed by how Stella Gibbons took a Cinderella story and made it into social commentary.

Stella Gibbons's NIGHTINGALE WOOD is much less humorous than her better-known first novel, COLD COMFORT FARM, with its repeated mantras of "there have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm" and "I saw something nasty in the woodshed." It is a Cinderella story in which everyone lives happily ever after, but not without many dark places before that happiness is achieved.

Set in the country near Chesterbourne just before the outbreak of World War II, NIGHTINGALE WOOD is the story of two women of different social classes. Viola Thompson, a young shop-girl (working class) married "up" to Theodore Wither, much older and much put-down son of middle class parents whose father is a patriarchal ogre; Teddy promptly dies, leaving Viola broke, alone in the world except for his family who, out of duty, ask her to live with them. Teddy's younger sister, Tina Wither, is 35 years old, trying to live her life by modern psychology, frustrated with a meaningless life, trapped by middle-class mores. Both fall in love with unsuitable men, Viola with Victor Spring, young demi-god with good looks, pleasant personality, and money galore, and Tina with the Withers' much younger, handsome, ambitious chauffeur Saxon Caker. All obstacles are eventually overcome; "Jack shall have Jill, naught will go ill."

The most interesting feature of NIGHTINGALE WOOD is the restricted life available to middle-class women in England in the period between the Wars. A career was not a possibility; unmarried women lived with their parents, received "pocket money," and did as they were told; the only socially acceptable escape was marriage to a middle-class man, where the role would continue, except with a husband and probably children. Women of intelligence and ambition must have felt stifled. Exceptions to this life-style were few, far between, and regarded with general suspicion as being "unwomanly."

An interesting read. 4.25/5 stars (A-)

Don't know yet what I'll read next. Some of the short stories might be good for reading around my stints of moderating for the sea eagles.

Linda S.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 11:44:51 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Barb & All:

Kept trying to post on the other thread--said the discussion was locked out and they were working on getting it up and running....finally figured out it was a closed discussion. Geez! Math never was a strong point for moi.

Okay, first post is a book review of BLACK DIAMOND which Linda S. reviewed much better and in more detail on the previous BBC thread. I loved this third in the series but I'm a Francophile (and Anglophile) and I like intelligent authors which Martin Walker obviously is, plus I'm a wee smitten with Bruno himself so I'm in the tank for these books from the get-go. If you liked BRUNO THE DETECTIVE, you should like BLACK DIAMOND.

Here's the review I posted:

It's ironic that one of the best French mystery series today is being penned by an Englishman who lives part-time in Washington D.C. as well as the Perigord region of France. By embracing opposites--a cozy French hamlet and the grit of contemporary crime--author Martin Walker is creating a hybrid niche mystery for intelligent readers.

Walker's background as a prize-winning journalist for THE GUARDIAN, editor-in-chief of UPI, senior scholar of the Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars in D.C., and currently senior director of a global business think-tank on international economics infuses his storytelling with a complexity and richness not found in many detective novels. You are educated while entertained. His sophisticated plot lines are steeped in the intertwining of the history and politics of France while served up with a dollop of whimsy. The series offers brilliance and novelty. It has the uncanny ability, as really good books do, to convince the reader you are witnessing the events unfold in real time, and not reading a book. Characters are multi-dimensional and believable. I love their droll comments on life and love from the French perspective.

BLACK DIAMOND is a brothy stew of mushrooms, murder and malevolence. I enjoyed the flirtation with the possible new love interest, the chemistry teacher and single mother in this book. I'm smitten with Bruno myself, so hope he stays a bachelor for awhile being mystified by the mystery and gloriousness of his several women. BLACK DIAMOND equals the quality of its predecessors in the series and is becoming one of my favorite international mystery series.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 4:23:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 4:29:21 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Keefer
re ....finally figured out it was a closed discussion. Geez! Math never was a strong point for moi.

oh i laughed!!!!! I had been counting down to the 10,000 post this is when they close every thread and then a new thread has to start. We have never wanted to race through the posts want quality posts not quantity. Prefer not one line posts either.

Thank you for the review on BLACK DIAMOND

Leslie J

Re your work collegue taken away from ambulance.

Now that is scary. Someone working next to you getting sick.
Hope he will be ok. Did you mean he had a stroke?? when you said he may be now on disability??

Patrick
re Panties is a twist.

Now I have never heard of that one.
" "in a dither". Hmmmm I could imagine we would say here
"stop getting in a dither." Nah I still think we would say
"Stop getting your knickers in a knot."

Funny how from country to country we all vary in saying!!!

LINDA MARIE, ROSEMARY LARKIN, KOKOPELLI CASMYS, CONDORENA, MYSTERY WOMAN,

I did a phamplet drop for my business recently and the phone sometimes is running hot. But like all new clients about 20% don't turn up. even though i have their phone number they either change their mind and thosse type of clients I don't want anyway. Just had my first one today not turn up. Rang the number and its her work number and its her day off. damn wish i had her mobilbe in case she was having trouble finding me. Oh well.

My flyer is pink with
FASTEST WAX IN THE WEST
BARBARA LANE
WAXING, FACIALS & ELECTROLYSIS SINCE 1990

business name and address and ph number
then the specials which are not really specials as i am so cheap i don't want my opposition to think they are my normal prices.
I would rather work longer hours to make money than put my prices up. so many woman have trouble affording to come in anyway and I enjoy their company anyway. Always ready for a good chat.

I am booked out 80% of today until 7.45pm tonight. So i can't really complain.

I did my charity case yesterday always have one going at a time someone who I do all her work totally for free. this one a single mum with 3 kids. I do 2 hour sessions of electrolysis on her. She is broke and really needs it but she is so funny and is so entertaining. I love her coming in and I sure don't need money to work on her.

just started
IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT by John Saul
I have read a few by him before. the stories are just fine but I can imagine a teen would really love them. Always a haunted house and a family moving in and there is always a cat in the story. (who ends up dead always) so its a 3.75 at the moment.

Barb down Under
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions