Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

New Mystery Series/Author Needed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 369 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2008 4:52:47 PM PST
K. McGovern says:
I also need a new mystery series to read. I have read everything by my favorite authors - John Sandford, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, Lee Child, Sara Paretsky, Sue Grafton, T. Jefferson Parker, Michael Connelly, Carol O'Connell, Linda Fairstein, James Patterson. I prefer American characters, current period, urban environment, any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 5:23:59 PM PST
Mike the K says:
I've not read any of yours, but have heasrd of most.

Try David Baldacci, Robert Parker ( spenser), Nelson DeMille, Daniel silva, Brad Thor, and my favorite Vince Flynn.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 9:47:28 AM PST
Try my new mystery "The Attic Above". You might like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 12:16:22 PM PST
A. Phillips says:
Try Janet Evanovich

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 12:25:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 12:25:33 PM PST
maude says:
What about Patricia Cornwell?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 12:56:23 PM PST
LL Pdx says:
Laurie R. King is great - The Kate Martinelli series is set in current day San Francisco.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 1:05:54 PM PST
Try Elizabeth George. She is fantastic. I just read "What Came Before He Shot Her."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 1:21:25 PM PST
B. Dorman says:
Strongly suggest Susan Wittig Albert, who is the author of China Bayles mystery series. While not in an urban environment, but Texas Hill Country, characters are strong, and plots well written. Would also agree on Balducci, esp. Camel Club Series. B. Dorman

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 3:42:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 3:43:12 PM PST
Terry Quinn says:
If you want a really great new mystery series to read try the cork o connor series by William Kent Krueger. Start at the beginning with Iron Lake.

Another suggestion would be the Paul Whelan series by Michael Raleigh, some of the best P.I. detective novels ever written.

George Pelecanos series featuring Derek Strange start at the beggining with Right as Rain

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 6:30:08 PM PST
Lee Sant says:
No question about it. Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder Novels. Gritty New York.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 7:58:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 8:00:01 PM PST
Oh, I have the PERFECT author for you!
Try Todd Borg and his Owen McKenna Mysteries!! He is simply the BEST! I am a huge fan of Kellerman and his Alex Delaware books and Cornwell and Grafton as well and Todd Borg's books are just fantastic!! Current period, Set in Tahoe, Male PI, former cop, doesn't have a gun, has a Great Dane named Spot..etc. So real, so GREAT! Ya gotta give 'em a read, I believe you will truly like his books!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 8:49:36 AM PST
Blue Goddess says:
In regard to Robert Parker, he also has the Sunny Randall series, which I really love. I will be checking out some of the authors listed here, as it sounds like we all have the same tastes! Thanks for the ideas!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 11:44:07 AM PST
S. Couse says:
I really urge you to broaden your horizons by sampling the works of Donna Leon, whose books are set in contemporary Venice. Another very good series by Magdalen Nabb is set in contmporary Florence. You get compelling plots, psychologically complex characters, and a little insight into another culture all at the same time.

Ditto for another favorite of mine, the series of "Number One Ladies Detective Agency" books by Alexander McCall Smith, set in modern-day Botswana.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 5:17:54 PM PST
G. Goding says:
Try Kathy Reichs, Robert B. Parker (3 protagonists - Spenser, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall), James Lee Burke, Jan Burke.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 9:21:36 AM PST
Try Jeffrey Deavers book esp. the "Lincoln Ryme novels"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 10:31:52 AM PST
Try Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver, Dennis Lehane, Kathy Reichs, P.J. Tracy, Karin Slaughter, Tess Gerritsen, David Baldacci, Keith Ablow and Robert Crais. I am a huge fan of Kellerman, Connelly, Fairstein and Patterson and I love these other authors as well! Hope you find something you like :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 11:36:08 AM PST
Patricia Ann says:
Try david Rosenfelt, William Tapply and Philip Craig.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 1:38:47 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 1:55:27 PM PST
Kasey Klover says:
Try J A Jance...J D Robb series

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 2:14:35 PM PST
You many want to try J.A. Konrath. He's got a mix of humor, mystery, and intense bad guys. And an evil cat.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 2:33:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2008 2:35:13 PM PST
Becky says:
Faye Kellerman- Peter Decker Series
Linda Lael Miller- Look Book Series

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 5:37:16 PM PST
Just thought of another great author that gives me shivers: Tami Hoag. Also has all your req: American, current period, urban.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 5:46:43 PM PST
kw says:
Kate Pepper's books are fantastic I have read all of hers and loved them all! Also Wendy Corsi Staub writes a great mystery. Now for a slightly more violent but wonderful read, try Cody McFayden's Shadow Man and Faces of Death.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 6:40:37 PM PST
Of course, you can read the new novel by Life on the Line, by K. Surant. Set in a Detroit manufacturing factory, I found it to be a real page turner : )

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 8:46:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2008 8:47:46 PM PST
phhht says:
I've read or sampled most of the recommendations here; if you want to try more off the best-sold track, I like S.J. Rozan. She writes about two protagonists, a Chinese-American woman and her partner in detection, Bill Smith. Try Stone Quarry.

Then there are the police procedurals by Michael McGarrity, set in and around Santa Fe. Strongly realistic, with very likable characters and verisimilitude out the wazoo.

If you're willing to branch out more, nobody can beat the Swedish police procedurals by Sjöval-Wahlöö. If you read French, don't miss Fred Vargas.

All these books share one more tremendous and undeniable advantage: I didn't write a single one of them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  258
Total posts:  369
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions