Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

NYC detective in mid1980s solved serial murders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2012 4:26:14 PM PDT
i read some great books in the mid 80s about a nyc detective who solved serial killer murders but i cant remember the author. the detective was described as "lumbering". there may have been a movie made from one of the novesl. i know this isnt much info but if anyone has any ideas please let me know!! Thanks

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 4:56:38 PM PDT
Chantell says:
The first person that came to mind is Ed McBain who wrote the 87th Precinct Series.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 5:05:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 5:06:08 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Perhaps the "deadly sin" series - about Edward X. Delaney by Lawrence Sanders?

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Edward-X-Delaney

Note: Avoid the 1st one, IMO. Although it sets up the character, it is in no way representative of the "sin" books.

Loved this series.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:05:28 AM PDT
thats it!!! i loved these books when i was younger even though they gave me nightmares:) thanks so much!! sara

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:09:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 7:10:05 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
You're very welcome. The only problem is that, now, I wish to re-read them and I already have a huge TBR pile!

DL

EtA: As I said (somewhere - a review maybe?) these books are dangerous because I ALWAYS have to try those sandwiches! LOL! My stomach is growling now just thinkin' about it.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:10:14 PM PDT
Flaminga77 says:
Yeah, I really loved those books and the character.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:21:56 PM PDT
AMS says:
I liked them very much as well. I was sorry when no more were forthcoming.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:01:36 AM PST
L. Burns says:
<<there may have been a movie made from one of the novesl.>>

There was, and the star was Frank Sinatra. That is NOT who I pictured as Delaney! I don't remember if I even saw the whole movie (too long ago), so I don't know if it was any good or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:42:59 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh gag! FS??

Sheesh.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:00:42 AM PST
L. Burns says:
Oh, I can see you're anxious to buy this so here it is .... The First Deadly Sin. Aside from everything else, Ol' Blue Eyes was the complete physical opposite of Delaney (IIRC).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:57:25 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
LOL - Sinatra never "lumbered" in his life! Oh Double Gag! Faye Dunaway???

I don't even remember a female character being "active" in this book - certainly not one to match that movie cover. If this is where he meets his later wife (the one through most of the books) that was mostly an "oh, I wish .." relationship (to overstate the case) and I don't remember Delaney taking her out or anything. It certainly wasn't the focus of the book.

I love both of these actors as actors but simply can NOT get my head around them for this book. (Sorta like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher)

Oh well. Thanks SO much <snark> Now I guess I'm gonna go watch that movie AND dig out my box of Sanders' books (I have almost all he wrote). I will compare and contrast and generally feel vastly superior to the average video watcher!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:03:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:05:31 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Addendum: However, what a STELLAR supporting cast though. Frankly, except for height, I think James Whitmore would be a fairly decent Delaney.

OK - off to watch the movie (LOVE the Prime Free benefit!)

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:16:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:18:01 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Well gee thank you so much for starting this thread. Between you and L. Burns, my TBR list is history!

Last night decided to read 1st Deadly Sin so that I could be prepared to eviscerate the movie BUT had my eyes (optic neuritis) checked and new glasses made yesterday so.. I could read the book ok but can't sit in front of the computer (long) to watch the movie. So, what did I do you ask? Why, of course, I started re-reading ALL the Deadly Sins series!

Sheesh.

DL

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:37:57 AM PST
L. Burns says:
<<Well gee thank you so much for starting this thread. Between you and L. Burns, my TBR list is history!>>

I never make any headway on my TBR list because I tend to go off on reading tangents. Someone on a discussion thread mentions an author or book and I end up buying the whole series.

@DL: I remember catching parts of the movie when it was on television (years and year ago), and it took me a few minutes to realize that it was based on the book. I can't really remember the quality of the movie, I think the casting left me a little dazed, lol. Is Faye Dunaway supposed to be Delaney's wife? IIRC, she was very ill at the start of the series and didn't play a huge role. Then again, it's been about 25(!) years since I read the books...Holy Cow, I am getting O-L-D!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:22:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:24:49 AM PST
Annie M. says:
There was a movie starring Frank Sinatra, it was called "The Detective" and was based on a 1966 novel of the same name written by Roderick Thorp. I can faintly remember reading the book. I don't think I saw the movie.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:40:14 AM PST
I was a fan of the first few books in the series but got tired of them after that. I actually enjoyed the movie as well although I think Sinatra was miscast in the title role. The film didn't really follow the book very well but I think it would have been confusing had I not read it first
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions