Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Crime/Mystery Novels that are in between Cozy and Super Graphic

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2012 7:07:14 PM PDT
Jamison says:
I'm looking for any recommendations to a book or book series that would be classified somewhere in between a cozy mystery and that of a super graphic mystery that contains a never ending series of explicit torture and sex. I by no means am against books that contain SOME of this to a medium degree, but am tired of books that go into immense detail of these things. But at the same time, I find some cozy mysteries just plain boring. I guess I want something in the middle of the road. Not too much and not too little

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:18:19 AM PDT
Can you tell us a little bit about authors whose books you like so that we can get a better idea of what you might enjoy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:12:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 12:18:22 PM PDT
Annie M. says:
Jamison, Have you tried Reginald Hill's series featuring Dalziel and Pascoe? They are police procedurals set in Yorkshire England. Mr Hill recently passed away, a great loss! But he left behind a great series, I believe there are about 20 or more books with D&P, and are best when read in order.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:01:34 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Have you tried Louise Penny Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel is the first in the series. Not graphic but not cozy either and very well written.
I also like John Sandford a lot Eyes of Prey. More graphic than Louise Penny. 20+ books in the series so lots to read if you like him.
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child co-write several books. They have some stand alones and a series with Agent Pendergast as the main character. A little spookier in feel. Relic is the first Pendergast book.
If you prefer female protaganists Nevada Barr has a strong female lead in her Anna Pidgeon series. Track of the Cat (An Anna Pigeon Novel) starts this series.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:48:20 AM PST
Yes Nevada Barr is a favorite. Marcia Mueller's Sharon Mc Cone series are great too. And the Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron. Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clare Ferguson series. I could go on forever.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:04:28 AM PST
Yes Nevada Barr is a favorite. Marcia Mueller's Sharon Mc Cone series are great too. And the Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron. Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clare Ferguson series. I could go on forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:27:32 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Jamison
I'm bored with cosies, too. I prefer my crime, especially when it's homicide, to be investigated by the professionals.

You may know all these already, as they've all been turned into TV series. As a rule, the books get changed so much in translation to screen, they are worthwhile reading because they will seem different even if you've seen the shows:

The Midsomer County books by Caroline Graham
(A Killing at Badger's Drift is the first)
---
the novels of Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse)
The Last Bus to Woodstock starts the series. There are 13 in all.
---
The Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George
---
I have recently watched the "George Gently" series, and those are from a series of novels by Alan Hunter. A bit hard to obtain Stateside; your library may have them, or if you have a Kindle they have recently been released in Kindle editions.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:41:10 AM PST
Susan Solin says:
When I was reading Nevada Barr I stumbled onto Jessica Speart's Rachel Porter series. Rachel is a female fish & wildlife agent. They were pretty good. The first one is Gator Aide (Rachel Porter Mysteries). This is kind of an undiscovered series.

Also, better known is Dana Stabenow's Kate Sugak series. I read Breakup (Kate Shugak #7) first and REALLY liked it so I went back and read #1 A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak #1) (which appears to be free right now) which I didn't like as much but I still throw one of these into the mix every once and a while.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:39:29 AM PST
Bkworm Bren says:
Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, beginning with "A" is for Alibi (The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries). I love them and have read many of them 2 or 3 times!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:49:34 PM PST
CA reviews says:
Made in Acapulco This starts off an intriguing series set in Mexico, featuring Emilia Cruz the first and only female detective on the Acapulco police force. It's a .99 novella so easy to get a taste for the coming series. Not a cozy but not graphic, but suspense and great characters. Author website says first full-length book in series is CLIFF DIVER and will be out soon.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:47:58 AM PST
Try Dick Francis: http://www.amazon.com/Dick-Francis/e/B000AP9M36/ref=pd_sim_kstore_bl_3#/ref=la_B000AP9M36_rf_p_n_feature_browse-b_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_82%3AB000AP9M36%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&ie=UTF8&qid=1353332544&rnid=618072011

He's one of my favorite mystery writers and his books fit your criteria to a tee, except for explicit sex. All have some degree of torture.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:07:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 19, 2012 1:31:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:28:00 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
spam - reported

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:11:47 PM PST
A. Walker says:
Hi Hikari. So you're really interested in seeing the uniformed guys hunt and take down the killers? If you're interested, I might be able to recommend something to you along those lines. Let me know first. Don't want to sound like a spammer.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:25:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 10:31:03 AM PST
Found new author, Steve Robinson, who writes mysteries using genealogy. He's only written two books and the third is coming out in early December. The best books for genealogy, as well as history, and what else, mystery. Great reads that kept me up into the wee hours of the morning.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:21:18 PM PST
Not too cozy, but fun: Kaye C. Hill.

For more of just general mysteries: Virginia Lanier (awesome, awesome. They have thriller qualities, lots of heart, but aren't too gory.)
I read Elizabeth Cosin when they were out in paperback--they are finally out in ebook. Really good--along the lines of Grafton's better stuff.

You might also like Linda Fairstein and Carol O'Connell. There's a couple of...not so great ones in either of those series, but they aren't all thriller/graphic. They're a little darker than the above in some ways, but still very good mysteries with some good characters.

I also like some of the Joe Pike novels...Robert Crais is the author. They're kind of tough guy (bit over the top in that regard) mysteries but very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:07:04 PM PST
BlueReadArt says:
I feel like I am becoming this books lone cheerleader but give this novel a try. Its (IMO) breathtaking. The author isnt known so I dont think you would have heard of them but just read this. I wrote a glowing review already for it.

Sacred Monsters

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:24:41 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
reported

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 8:37:05 AM PDT
Pete Morin says:
Try Crashed (Junior Bender #1) (Junior Bender Mystery) and the rest of the series.

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 9:17:44 AM PDT
MontclairMD says:
I think you'd probably enjoy anything by Michael Connelly. Also another terrific LA noir I picked up, Good Morning, Darkness.

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 7:07:34 AM PDT
B. A. Dimich says:
September 26-28 FREE Kindle download. Treat yourself to 5-star crime fiction that guarantees a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence Her August 12, 2013
By Jane
Silence Her was my first Dimich novel, and it sure won't be my last! Get ready to step into the modern police squad room for a cat and mouse yarn that will keep you guessing to the end. Dimich's detail allows the readers to suspend their own reality and live in the story. Her background knowledge of real police work makes this story authentic.

Kate Kidcaid's skill as a Police Detective is second to none...except her own ability to keep a secret! The tension in the novel is intense and makes it difficult to put down! I can't wait for the continuing episodes!

Silence Her by Barb Dimich
Conflict is plentiful between Homicide Detective Kate Kincaid and Special Agent Nate Quinn. The FBI computer techy has never investigated a murder and the steely-nerved detective has never worked undercover much less in a strip joint. In a frantic race to catch a killer, Kate plunges into her assignment and the dark side of a haunting past while Quinn, wary of Kate's game plan, learns she never existed until sixteen years ago.

From the despairing city streets to sleazy nightclubs, Kate and Quinn follow the twisted trail of greed, murder, and corruption breaking the law to enforce the law. But now powerless to outrun the secret that stalks her, Kate must reveal her past to gain Quinn's trust. And as the case heats up in a chain reaction of explosive events, the fugitives are one heart-pounding step ahead of the cops and the killers with an unquenchable thirst to expose the truth.

Come on over and like https://www.facebook.com/BarbDimichAuthor

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013 7:19:42 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
reported

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 9:27:25 AM PDT
John Toon says:
Have you looked at a couple of older hardboiled/noir novels by Cathie John? "Little Mexico" Little Mexico: An Original Sin City Novel received very good reviews from Booklist and Publishers Weekly. She also did some not so cozy mysteries.

Posted on Oct 1, 2013 5:27:10 AM PDT
My recommendation is Jessie Crockett's new book "Drizzled with Death"; a wildly entertaining mystery from her new "Sugar Grove Mystery" series.
Enjoy,
Hannah
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

ARRAY(0x981a7060)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions