Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 576 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2007 9:18:24 AM PDT
Wanda Hughes says:
looking for books that are funny, laugh out loud. Lifes sort of ruff right now I need a good pick me up when I read . I love Janet Evoivich ,and all the undead and unwed books ,laughed till I cryed while reading them,loved the thought of a funny kluzsy vampair

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 10:01:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 6, 2012 9:35:56 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 10:30:39 AM PDT
Wanda,
May I recommend a series of books called "the Southern Sisters Mysteries" by Anne George? I just started reading them, and I have so totally enjoyed them, can't believe I missed them when they first came out. Anne George died a few years ago, extinguishing a real talent, but she did write 8 very funny mysteries, laugh-out-loud books that are light reading when you need something to make you laugh and engage your mind. I believe these are probably as close to Janet Evanovich as one can get, and they are truly funny. Aslo, there is a series of books by Janet Ledbetter, starting out with "Halfway to Halfway" which are also mysteries, have some really hilarious characters, and a little romance, too. Great reading for those days when you need a laugh!
Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 11:05:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2007 11:08:14 AM PDT
S. Randby says:
I have discovered Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar novels and it's driving my dear husband crazy. As he's reading Issacson's Einstein, I'm laughing out loud reading Myron's descriptions of people or events. The story lines are excellent as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 11:22:58 AM PDT
Wanda-
Have you ever read any Jennifer Weiner books? One of her books (which I have not actually read) called Goodnight Nobody is a mystery. I have read many of her other books which are not mysteries: Good in Bed, Little Earthquakes and In her Shoes, and I must say that I have laughed out loud reading those three than I have ever reading any other book. They're addictive!! A great girl read too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 3:08:44 PM PDT
Try Laurie Notaro.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 3:08:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 13, 2007 3:10:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 3:09:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 13, 2007 3:10:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 4:14:43 PM PDT
Karen Zemek says:
Have you tried the Zack File series by Greenburg? They are hilariously funny and short, quick reads because they are aimed at children. However, I tutored third graders in reading and that's where I discovered these. I suggest starting with the first one--Great-grandpa is in the Litter Box.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 4:25:00 PM PDT
S. Roberts says:
Janet Evanovich is your GO-TO gal!!! I was looking for some fun and levity to be added to my thrillers, free from the graphic gore that, when set aside for the evening, won't set the stage for horrible nightmares. I started with Eleven On Top based on a review I'd read. . . . hoping it wouldn't be a dud. What a TREAT! I laughed out loud and couldn't put the book down. Since that time six months ago, I've devoured every single Stephanie Plum book, from One for the Money all the way through Lean Mean Thirteen. I anxiously await number 14 in her series. I'm actually suffering from withdrawal! I feel like I know the characters so well and can't wait to hear what happens to "Lula," "Ranger," "Morelli," or "Grandma Mazur" next. It is just so much fun to let go and enjoy the ride for a change. . . . no deep lessons, merely a joyful reading experience. Janet Evanovich is worth every penny!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 7:58:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 3, 2012 12:34:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 8:18:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2012 7:35:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 8:21:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2012 7:35:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 8:23:26 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 8:25:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 22, 2012 7:20:26 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2007 11:45:37 AM PDT
Michael says:
Sue Grafton's "alphabet" mysteries have a lot of humor (especially the earlier books in the series) and Harley Jane Kozak's series has an Evanovich-style of humor as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 9:47:07 AM PDT
Joe Phelps says:
Check out Buzzkill by rob fox. New author. Very funny. Hollywood murder mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 10:20:09 AM PDT
Christopher Moore is hysterical. Try "You suck" or "A Dirty Job".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 11:47:20 AM PDT
reviewer says:
Hi, Wanda. Have you tried Carl Hiaasen, William Lashner, Sue Grafton, Linda Barnes, or Chris Grabenstein? Definitely laugh-out-loud. Please excuse the bsp, but my Bodyguard series has been compared by professional reviewers to Evanovich (The Bodyguard, The Bodyguard and the Show Dog). Like you, I like a humorous book when things get rough.It's great to escape into another, funnier world.

Christy
www.christyfrench.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 1:05:44 PM PDT
NY Bookster says:
One of Janet Evanovich's favorite authors is Robert Crais. His early books of the Elvis Cole series are great page turners and laugh out loud funny. You might also like Jen Lancaster's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 2:19:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 3, 2012 12:35:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 3:27:34 PM PDT
Read The Citrus Baron. It will make you laugh. It will make you cry.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 8:41:26 PM PDT
catcamus says:
Two ideas for you:

Linda Barnes' Carlotta Carlyle series -- she's a bit more Sue Grafton-like than Evanovich, but there are definitely some laughs along the way.

Donna Andrews' "Murder with..." series. A bit slower paced on the hard-core action than Evonovich, but Meg is a great funny character and her family is utterly nutso. I find her very entertaining (I'm only on the second book in the series so far)

Hope life treats you better soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 12:39:42 PM PDT
Someone wrote about Buzzkill by Rob Fox, I just read it and loved it. I'm a big fan of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaassen and this was in the same vein. It reminded me of Get Shorty. Laugh out loud funny with great characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2007 1:53:26 AM PDT
Grace says:
I would recommend Denise Swanson's "Scumble River Mysteries" series.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  576
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  May 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions