Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 576 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2015 12:23:47 PM PDT
TIM says:
What category does Big Trouble belong in? Government corruption, blackmail, hit men and Russian smugglers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2015 11:38:51 AM PDT
babe47 says:
Thanks, I will try it. I like Duffy Brown and Gail Oust.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2015 8:58:34 AM PDT
Shanter says:
While Dave Barry's books are funny, they are not mysteries, and are thus inappropriate for this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2015 8:56:32 AM PDT
Shanter says:
I think Lucky Number Six is a fantasy book. This forum is for funny mysteries.

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:44:45 AM PDT
Leeanne says:
Has any one mentioned Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books? So funny. Love them and there are a lot of them. Lee

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:39:04 AM PDT
Leeanne says:
I just read Lucky Number Six by T. j. Loveless. I giggled through the whole thing, and was smiling at the end.

I love many of the books mentioned above, but if you are feeling blue some of them might be a little difficult to read. Lucky Number Six requires no effort at all. It is just silly.

Note...not all this author's books are funny. Check first.

Lee

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2015 9:11:04 AM PST
Initial post: May 16, 2011 4:46:41 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Reported yet again. Now you're spamming, as well as self-promoting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2015 9:08:56 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 21, 2015 9:35:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2014 9:11:52 PM PST
TIM says:
Yes terrific read and a fun movie.

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 7:28:53 PM PST
Kay A Jarr says:
I would recommend Dave Barrys books. Big Trouble...we laughed so hard we could hardly read the pages

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2014 6:41:16 PM PST
Leeanne says:
"I think I have read this book before only then it was well written."

What a hysterical sentence.

I think it sometimes when I read these awful .99 books I keep buying. All the same except the name and the place.

Lee

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 3:56:52 PM PST
Arual says:
Has anyone mentioned Trace by Warren Murphy yet? I read the first one, and it was pretty funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2014 2:39:41 PM PST
TIM says:
Read the look inside part. Think I've read this story before only then it was well written.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2014 10:48:03 AM PST
Christy says:
Yes, the Kindle prices are way out of line for the Chet & Bernie series, but try your local library. Too much fun to miss!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2014 7:14:19 PM PST
The Chet and Bernie series looks good, but pricey.

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 2:04:55 PM PST
Cluny says:
Jfredlee
Self promotion is only allowed on MOA forums(Meet Our Authors). Please delete from here, otherwise Amazon may do it for you.......

RE: "Warning: Contains some of the most hysterical explicit sex scenes ever written" - quite a prejudiced biased comment by the author to make-----plus if a woman finds such a scene "hysterical"
a man isn't doing it right!

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 12:52:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 2, 2014 1:59:43 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 1:38:13 AM PST
Christy says:
Hello, All - I've posted a number of times on this thread, and sometimes it has just been to try to steer everyone back in the direction of funny mysteries. Since this IS part of the Mystery forum, as you have correctly pointed out, Shanter.

I must say it usually doesn't go along off-topic for such a stretch, but I've found so many funny mystery series through this thread that I am just glad it's here. (Thank you, Carol or Wanda or whoever is responsible for starting it.) Thankfully, more people will come and let us know about more mysteries they have discovered that are laugh-out-loud funny.

Has anyone read the last few Stephanie Plums who has enjoyed them? I gave up after 13, I heard such awful things about 14 & 15. I noticed recently that Evanovich is up through 21. I used to love them.

I don't recall if anyone ever talked about how much fun it is to listen to the Chet and Bernie mysteries (by Spencer Quinn: Dog On It, Paw and Order, etc.). I wanted to say that Paw and Order, the latest, was a return to his original form and I found it really funny. I also found a couple of Kindle shorts with Chet and Bernie, the best of which was "A Cat Was Involved" -- in which we finally learned why Chet flunked out of K-9 school at the very last minute (the shorts are available through Audible.com, too).

For those of you unfamiliar with the series, the books are told from the point of view of Chet, who is a dog and totally acts like one. Apparently there are some people out there that find this objectionable, but I find it really funny, having owned and observed dogs all my life.

So back to funny mysteries!

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 10:09:41 PM PST
Shanter says:
Fine, have it your way. I'm tired of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2014 4:58:25 PM PST
luv2read says:
I'm confused, did you used to post as Wanda Hughes, Carol? I'm not being snarky, this is a real question since it looks like that's the name of the OP.

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 4:41:05 PM PST
TIM says:
Starting with the first post, 454 posts ago, people have been going off the topic you wanted. Maybe if you had said funny mysteries instead of funny books but probably not. People will go in the direction they want to go.

Did anyone remember to mention The Thin Man?

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 1:35:32 PM PST
Shanter says:
I read an enormous number of books of all kinds: fiction, nonfiction, factual, funny, serious, peculiar, science fiction, etc. This discussion is in the Mystery forum. If you want to talk about funny books that are not mysteries, start a discussion for those.

I disagree with the opinion that most "funny" mysteries are gimmicky, and, like Carol, I have found numerous mysteries that are laugh-out-lloud funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor, and some of the books suggested here I would never find funny, just as the ones I think are funny, others might not agree.

I appreciate that Carol started this discussion in the Mystery forum and I believe we should follow her intentions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2014 1:00:34 PM PST
Nevertheless, it is in a Mystery Forum. That is what I started the thread looking for...those who would like to discuss all genres in comedy should probly set up a thread in a more generic section. I have actually read mysteries that were indeed lol funny and have mentioned a few in this thread.

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 12:56:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2014 12:58:09 PM PST
Leeanne says:
Shanter...perhaps most readers read broadly and not just mysteries. We think of something funny and forget the mystery part.

The Lawrence Block, Donald Westlake, Carl Hiassen books are all funny, and ones I have enjoyed a lot for a long time. Evanovich and Peters are funny.

But most so called mysteries which attempt to be funny seem to be not really that funny, because they are relying upon gimmicks, like chocolate, pig suits, organization, animals, sexy girls, naked bodies in your bed, and so on and except for the gimmick have no real humour. Just cosy mysteries.

Books like that I find boring and childish. When for example Hiassen turns 12 turtles in to apostles the humour is such that years later I find myself smiling when I see a turtle. That kind of writing is not found ofton.

I think we must accept the fact that funny or not, really good well written books are rare and we need to really appreciate those we find.

Lee

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 11:28:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2014 11:28:42 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  576
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions