Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Nordic/British/Irish/Euro mysteries (NBIE V1)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 5:42:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:18:16 AM PST
Susie says:
All,

Welcome to the 6th Nordic, British, Irish euro crime fiction thread.

You'll find excellent recommendations for translated euro crime fiction, a variety of books from other genres, related blogs and a warm reception. Off topic conversation is frequent between books, if you're not interested, just scroll past them.

Please share your opinion on books mentioned, tell us about your favorite books and not so favorite.

We hope you'll join us.

Susie

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 6:47:54 PM PST
Aha, found you! Bookmarking now.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:12:14 PM PST
Glad we are back Susie. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:19:50 AM PST
There you are! Glad to see you!
Kathy

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:43:30 AM PST
Cluny says:
Couldn't respond yesterday as VI wasn't yet up.........Susie, Thanks for prompt attention to resurrection of (N /B /I /E) by bringing up VI!

James
Book for LIKE WATER....ELEPHANTS was better but at least the movie wasn't butchered and awful as many book to movies morph.

Ginger....the bionic hairdresser to the stars
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:08:53 AM PST
Hi, Jacquie,

Gotta love those Pats!!!!!!

I don't usually watch any games except for Pats games, but I did watch a couple of others with my son this weekend. The Denver-Ravens game was especially exciting, and I was cheering for the Seahawks because one of the kids in our office is from that part of the country and that is his team. Great comeback by the Seahawks, sad ending.

Now we have to be nervous for one more weekend. My son Mike says the Ravens will be tough, but he doesn't not having Gronk will make a big difference. I would agree. Hopefully, after this season, the Pats powers-that-be figure out that they should pay and keep Wes Welker. IMO he's earned it.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:15:40 AM PST
LAURIE KING
GARMENT OF SHADOWS

Some of you may recall that I swore off the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series awhile back because I really didn't like the past few books. I think the first book of the series - THE BEEKEEPER's APPRENTICE -- is one of the two or three very best mysteries I had ever read. Sadly, by the time I got to numbers 9, 10, 11 in the series, I thought the books were getting stale and contrived. Then, recently I read that GARMENT OF SHADOWS was set in Morocco, where I happened to spend a good amount of time when my son Mike was a little guy, and I was still married to my ex-husband, who is originally from Casablanca. I wanted to see if King had the local color correct, and indeed she did. Morocco is one of those places that, when I smell a certain odor, taste a certain spice, hear a certain sound, comes back to my mind in total. Smells, particularly, take me back there often. King really gets it. And the story is believable and much more like the earlier Russell/Holmes books. We meet up with a couple of old friends from O JERSALEM, too. So if you are one of those who used to like this series and then got bored with it, this one is worth a look.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:19:22 AM PST
SEBASTIAN BERGMAN

Hi, Jacquie and Susie (and others reading SB),

Downloaded and started reading SEBASTIAN BERGMAN immediately after I finished LAURIE KING's GARMENT OF SHADOWS. I'm about half-way through and really enjoying it. Sebastian is a cool character; it's funny how much he thinks like I think a serial killer thinks, but he's one of the good guys (I think). This book makes me almost as excited as when I read my first Wallander -- almost but not quite, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:19:29 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Kathy,

Happy to see you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:20:26 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Cluny,

Do you around what time we hit 10,000?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:37:04 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Dolores,

Thanks so much for telling us about King's new book, GARMENT OF SHADOWS.

I was so taken with the first few in the series, then like you, I gave up.

GOS & Anne Perry's new one is on my TBR list.

I started SHATTER by Michael Robotham, I really like him, his writing is so easy to fall in step with. I have to say I liked the background of the story told from the victim's perspective in Say You're Sorry than I do from the 'creep's' perspective in Shatter. I'm not crazy about the bad guy in Shatter, not because he's a bad guy, it's more about how he's drawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:40:34 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Dolores,

I think Sebastian is a cool character too. It's another book where the writing is easy to fall into.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:40:07 AM PST
Hi Susie, I am loving the Drawyer 4 in the Morgue, or what ever it is. Told from a very strange point of view in a very different way. Ginger

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:14:56 AM PST
Brijoeire says:
Hi Ginger,

I wish you a speedy recovery. I know your positive outlook will help you back to us in no time at all. In the meantime, enjoy some good books and rest up!

Bridget

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:41:05 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Dolores & Pats fans\

Hooray! My ginger ale and popcorn worked again. Dolores, I agree with your son about Gronk, although I would feel a little better if he were there. I wonder if they really should have let him play.... he was really in pain after that hit.

Wes -- Yes. I can't understand why they won't give him a great contract. They overpay so many and then get stingy with him. It makes no sense to me.

I will be very nervous next Sunday at 6:30. The Ravens can be very good and I always worry they will hurt Tom. We simply can't allow anyone to hurt Tom.

Wasn't that Seahawks-Atlanta game incredible. I, too, was rooting for the Seahawks. I don't think too much of Atlanta. I guess they deserved to win this time though and it will be good for their franchise.

Honestly, I think we have the best team, but that doesn't always lead to a win. Finger and toes crossed here.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:43:28 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Ginger

Best of luck to you in your surgery. You are our very own bionic reader!

Did you see the latest on Natalie? What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:44:56 AM PST
Jacquie, what did you see about Natalie. Thanks for the wish. I'm off to see the surgeon and pre registar at the hospital. I have to be there at 5:30 AM on Thurs. BRrr. Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:47:53 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Susie

Answering your question to Cluny. Pat Hester was the 9,999th poster at 11:09 am PST on January 13, 2013. I wonder why they use Pacific time? Does anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 12:04:13 PM PST
Jacquie, Susie,

Hate to correct you, Jacquie, but Pat did make the 10,000th post at 11:09; hers was the 25th post on the last page that started with #9976. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 12:07:14 PM PST
<<I wonder why they use Pacific time? Does anyone know?>>

I think it might be because their head office is on the West Coast -- Washington, Oregon?

I know that when I pre-order a book, it gets delivered to my Kindle at 3:00AM, because Amazon sends it at midnight their time, making it 3AM on the East Coast. Don't ask me why I know this factoid, LOL, but I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 12:35:04 PM PST
Nancy says:
Hi Ginger,
Best of luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery!
I'll be thinking of you Thursday and sending positive thoughts your way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:11:07 PM PST
Dolores, thanks so much for the report on GARMENT OF SHADOWS. I felt exactly the same way about the series as you did. PIRATE KING was so awful I decided to quit reading the series, but you're tempting me. Here's one thing I wonder. It's seemed to me that Laurie R. King has been writing more and more with Holmes and Russell apart and doing different things in the series, maybe as a preparation for someday getting rid of Holmes, who knows. At any rate, I think that having them work separately is one of the things that has made the recent books not nearly as good. So my question is: do Holmes and Russell work together much in GARMENT OF SHADOWS or are they mostly apart?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:10:35 PM PST
Jacquie says:
Patricia and Dolores

For some reason I thought Amazon stopped at 9,999, but you are absolutely right. I don't know why I thought that either. Oh well.

If Amazon headquarters are on the west coast then the Pacific Time makes perfect sense too. I never bothered to check to see where the headquarters were located.

Anyway, I can't believe that we are on NBIEVI. Susie this was a wonderful idea and no end in sight either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:00:16 PM PST
Tracey Ivy says:
Yay, I found you all! Reading The Night Ferry by Michael Robotham and have Shatter on my night table. He is as good as I remember from his first two books, Lost and The Suspect. So glad you all reminded me of him.

Ginger, hope I haven't already missed you - hope the surgery goes well and will look forward to hearing from you again soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:03:11 AM PST
<<do Holmes and Russell work together much in GARMENT OF SHADOWS or are they mostly apart? >>

Hi, Maine,

Yes, very much together. At the very beginning Russell is alone, but they are soon reunited. I don't want to say too much more because it might spoil it, if you decide to read the book.

I highly recommend this book, and I never thought I would say that again about a Russell/Holmes book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  74
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions