Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Southern Detective with bulldog

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 4:04:19 PM PST
K. Potter says:
I am looking for the author and/or titles of a series of three books about a southern detective who happens to own a bulldog. These were recommended, but unfortunately the author's name escaped the person recommending them. Can anyone help?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:45:33 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh boy. Hope you find this! How could I not like them? (remember my posting name! LOL!)

I did a quick search using keywords "bulldog" and "southern" but found nothing that seems to fit.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:51:36 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Not the book the OP is looking for, but have you read the "Chet and Bernie" series? The first one, Dog on It (Chet and Bernie Mysteries), was on sale (briefly) for $.99 and I picked it up on my kindle. Very clever and entertaining, especially for those of us who are 'dog people'!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:58:48 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
LOL! I, too, picked that up on sale AND I bought one of the DTBs. Didn't grab me in the first few pages so I put it aside.

We almost always like the same things so I will pick it back up again soon.

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Chet-and-Bernie-Mystery

DL

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:08:16 PM PST
L. Burns says:
I found this series by author Evelyn David that features a female "sleuth" with a bulldog named "Leon". Takes place in Oklahoma - Summer Lightning in Lottawatah (Brianna Sullivan Mysteries). There appear to be more than three books though. ( I haven't read these )

@ DL: 'Dog on It' felt a little juvenile to me when I first started it, but once I got used to Chet's narrative I really enjoyed it. Most of the fun comes from Chet's canine observations; the mystery itself wasn't anything special. I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll read the rest of the books in the series, but just in case (lol!) I grabbed the novella lenth prequel - A Cat Was Involved.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:33:53 PM PST
luv2read says:
While I didn't find any Southern mystery series with a bulldog, here are a few that meet at least part of the criteria mentioned:

Ellery Adams (J.B. Stanley)
* Olivia Limoges: restaurant owner returning with Captain Haviland, a black standard poodle, to her old home town, Oyster Bay, North Carolina

Ann Campbell
* Annie O'Hara (3 books): owner of an antique shop, and Claudius, "the Hound from Hell"

Tom Lowe
* Sean O'Brien (3 books): recently widowed former Miami homicide detective, now living with his dachshund Max on the St. John's River, in Florida

Peggy Webb
* Elvis Presley: reincarnated as a basset hound, Callie Valentine Jones, a hairdresser at her Uncle Charlie's mortuary, and Lovie, a caterer, near Tupelo, Mississippi, in the Southern Cousins mysteries

Descriptions from stopyourekillingme.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:47:56 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Oh sheesh - stop you really ARE killing me! LOL!

How on earth am I gonna ever finish my TBR pile if you folks keep alerting me to such (possibly) great stuff with dogs!

Gotta read the one with the homicide detective and the dachshund! Elvis as a basset hound? LOL!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:51:21 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
That Brianna Sullivan series all seems to be more like short stories - very small page counts. I won't pay money for short stories. Why don't the authors publish these as singles, do you think?

I agree about the juvenile "feel" to that book. Well put. I was seduced into that title by some of the "names" that provided cover comments. I'll give it another try later on.

DL

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:03:45 PM PST
fleaBe says:
For DL - :)

Donna Ball's Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries (golden retriever)
Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:11:46 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Well, Chet is not sophisticated but turns out to be pretty astute when it comes to human behavior. Made me wonder what my dogs would say about me if they could talk, lol.

I didn't look too closely at the Brianna Sullivan books. I seldom read short stories, though my 'series OCD' compels me to read them if they're part of a series. I was a little annoyed with myself for paying $2.99 for Rhys Bowen's short story that's a prequel to her Lady Georgie mysteries. It was something like 45 pages - it didn't even last through my morning cup of coffee!

I read the Peggy Webb book with Elvis the basset hound. Probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're in the mood for a really over-the-top silly read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:30:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:36:39 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Here are the series -

<Ellery Adams (J.B. Stanley)
* Olivia Limoges: restaurant owner returning with Captain Haviland, a black standard poodle, to her old home town, Oyster Bay, North Carolina>

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Books-by-the-Bay-Mysteries

<Ann Campbell
* Annie O'Hara (3 books): owner of an antique shop, and Claudius, "the Hound from Hell" >
http://www.shelfari.com/series/Annie-O%27Hara-and-Claudius-Mysteries

<Tom Lowe
* Sean O'Brien (3 books): recently widowed former Miami homicide detective, now living with his dachshund Max on the St. John's River, in Florida >
http://www.shelfari.com/series/Sean-O%27Brien

<Peggy Webb
* Elvis Presley: reincarnated as a basset hound, Callie Valentine Jones, a hairdresser at her Uncle Charlie's mortuary, and Lovie, a caterer, near Tupelo, Mississippi, in the Southern Cousins mysteries >
http://www.shelfari.com/series/Southern-Cousins-Mysteries

EtA: ARRGGGHHH!

<Donna Ball's Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries (golden retriever)>

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Raine-Stockton-Dog-Mystery

<Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series>

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Bloodhound

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:59:56 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Sorry K. Potter!

We wrapping ourselves around the whole AKC breed list but the only bulldog (so far) is http://www.shelfari.com/series/Brianna-Sullivan-Mysteries

DL

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:33:12 PM PST
K. Potter says:
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. It sounds like I have been given (maybe) misinformation by the recommender, if no one can find a detective with a bulldog. I don't believe the short stories qualify. So either the individual with the recommendation misremembered the dog breed, or my husband (who relayed the information) misremembered! It sounds like the books by Sean O'Brien will be my best bet. I will have to give them a try.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:54:26 AM PST
Cluny says:
Other books with dogs are by Spencer Quinn, Susan Conant, and someone with a name like Lee Kelly (not sure on this one)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:06:16 AM PST
Cluny says:
Not southern but female and bulldog
Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog: A Mystery (Sister Pelagia Mystery)

http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/mystery-89.html

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:40:52 AM PST
Cluny says:
Totally Decked (A Miller Sisters Mystery)

Do 't know if this is southern but there are females and bulldog

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:01:54 AM PST
L. Burns says:
K. Potter - Something just dawned on me. I read a book last year about a Texas private investigator (male) who had a bulldog. It was the first in a 3 book series (Romance/Mystery) by Christie Craig: Only in Texas (Hotter in Texas) - it was originally titled "Don't Mess With Texas". I had pretty much forgotten about it (not a huge fan of that author), but it got a lot of positive reviews here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:25:16 AM PST
luv2read says:
"How on earth am I gonna ever finish my TBR pile if you folks keep alerting me to such (possibly) great stuff with dogs!"

Hey, I got my own problems! In addition to my eyes being bigger than my stomach, my eyes are bigger than my Kindle.

BTW, for all the animal and mystery lovers, you can find book combinations on the genre list at www.stopyourekillingme.com and cozies by theme at www.cozy-mystery.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:27:35 AM PST
luv2read says:
"I seldom read short stories, though my 'series OCD' compels me to read them if they're part of a series."

Same here. Sometimes you can get them free when the author/publisher has a promotion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:52:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:53:24 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Sigh. I really don't usually care for Christie Craig. If written by anyone else, that book description would make me pounce right onto it. If the K version is ever offered for free (or $0.99 or something) I may try it anyway.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:36:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 8:39:57 AM PST
Annie M. says:
Hi, Jonathan Kellerman has a series of books, I have no idea if they are southern. But they feature Dr. Alex Delaware, a child psychologist and police consultant, who has a French bulldog.

There are a lot of books in the series and I have read and enjoyed many of them. They are not "cozies". The bulldog does not play a very big part in the stories, except that he is very well-loved and underfoot a lot.

The site stopyourekillingme.com has a listing of all Kellerman's books in order.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:18:59 AM PST
L. Burns says:
@luv2read: Isn't it awful? I have such a hard time giving up on a series, even ones that have grown stale. I swear I'm not going to buy some over-priced novella just because it takes place between books 2 & 3 of a series...then I go ahead and do it anyway. Sigh. Author/publishers know us so well, don't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:21:21 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I wouldn't really recommend it, even for the bulldog (who has a flatulence issue, btw). $.99 sounds about right. I didn't like it enough to read the next book in the series - and that's saying alot!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:37:40 AM PST
K. Potter says:
More information on the book. It was written in the 1980's, so not a recent book. Definitely a male detective with a bulldog and set in the south east somewhere. I don't know if this helps or rings any bells for anyone. But again, thank you for all the information so far. I now have several new authors to try! Always a plus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:40:12 AM PST
luv2read says:
Yes, they sure do. Guess we aren't the only OCD series readers.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions