Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Gary Goodhew Mysteries by Alison Bruce

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 1:36:08 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
http://www.shelfari.com/series/Gary-Goodhew-Mysteries

Familiar with these books?

Just finished the first in the series, Cambridge Blue: A DC Gary Goodhew Mystery Set in Cambridge, England. Gotta say, the first chapter really caught me off guard. That almost never happens to me.

The rest of the book was very interesting but, frankly, what made me give it some leeway was the understanding that this was the author's first book. It was well-done both as a mystery and as a character introduction. There were just a few things that made me never really step into the story: 1) This is supposed to be a British Police (almost) procedural. It seemed vaguely American in speech patterns though. I wonder if this has been "Americanized" as some authors have complained about. The author is British. Not a big deal but it read almost as if an American (won't name names) wrote it without really knowing the patois or habits. 2) The really interesting part of this for me was Goodhew, himself. I **think** that he can become a very unique character. I **think** that his work-mates can become an interesting set as well. I'm not too certain, though, if this book gives that growth as a hint or if Bruce intended for everything to be all "done." Can't really tell.

I am strangely afflicted by this. Want to write a review but can't quite get down in print what I want to say about it.

I did order the next two in the series but the 4th (and, so far, the last) is a little too expensive for me while I am in this unsettled state concerning this series. It was only published this past October so maybe when the paperback is released the prices will be more acceptable to me.

By then I'll know how the other two books move the characters along as well.

Have you read this series or any entries in it? I can't even remember where I came across the first one. I'm gonna have to start putting notes on my Shelfari entries telling me how I found a title and why I bought it!

DL

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 5:11:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 12, 2013 5:12:03 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions