Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 537 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 5:51:57 AM PDT
booklass says:
M. Francis, I am afraid I cannot find Thus Was Adonis Murdered on Kindle. Was it in some sort of collection?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:25:05 AM PDT
Oh absolutely Charlotte McLeod...if you can still find "The Curse of the Giant Hogweed", you'll enjoy one of the funniest books ever written. At times I laughed so hard I could hardly continue reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:49:03 AM PDT
Yes! Dorothy Cannell's Ellie Haskell! I remember just loving those books. Will have to go back and figure out where I left off! Thanks!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:51:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 8:51:48 AM PDT
Re - Thus Was Adonis... by Sarah Caudwell: It looks like it is only available in book form.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 9:28:42 AM PDT
My favorite Charlotte McLeod was Family Vault loved all her books

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 9:35:37 AM PDT
great characters love the maid Roxy what a hoot

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 2:30:20 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:48:52 PM PDT
Do you know what a sock puppet is? We do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 3:55:04 PM PDT
BethW says:
I see 2 in the series available but not that one.

The Sirens Sang of Murder

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:38:52 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Tarquit Hall's Vish Puri series.

I don't often say this--Best started at the beginning (THE MAN WHO DIED LAUGHING), so that later when Handbrake appears you know that he is Vish Puri's driver and sometime detective. Parts of these are so played for laughs that one can easily forget that there are real stories involved.

It might also be better if you get that first one in audio form, especially if your Indian Subcontinent accent is not particularly good (or if it has been honed only on the worst of the alleged customer service places).

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:16:23 PM PDT
I just read the new book in the Vish Puri series, The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken: A Vish Puri Mystery (Vish Puri Mysteries), and it was very funny, but also a terrific mystery and a real insight into both modern Delhi and the 1947 history of the partition of India and Pakistan. This was my first book read in the series and I didn't feel disadvantaged by not having read the first two books in the series---though I will definitely go back and read them now.

When I say "read," I should really say "listened to." The audiobook had an excellent narrator.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 4:00:27 PM PST
Susi says:
A few months ago, I read Weekend in Weighton and found it to be laugh out loud funny. I saw where it's on sale this week for 99 cents. I highly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:09:47 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:53:46 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:48:12 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Reported AGAIN!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:29:52 PM PST
Two series I've read recently that I enjoyed:

Samantha Rialto Mysteries - Evan Katy
Death by Chocolate series - Sally Berneathy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:52:59 PM PST
Irene says:
The Curse of the Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy Mysteries)@ Carol J. Ramirez,

I'm so glad I stopped by this thread today! I have never read (I'm almost afraid to admit) Charlotte McLeod, but when I read your rec. of The Curse of the Giant Hogweed, I went right to the Kindle store and bought it. It looks to be right up my weird alley!

Thanks,

Irene

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:02:15 PM PST
Hope you enjoy it...I thought it was hilarious!!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:39:41 PM PST
booklass says:
I'm reading MacLeod's other series, but I bought some of the Shandy series, too. Love her books so much. She just has a way with witty dialogue and wonderful eccentric characters. (Had a way....sadly, we no longer can look forward to new books by her)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:10:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:10:45 PM PST
Dorothy says:
Try the new comic crime novel Bullwhacked. You don't have to know or care about rodeoing.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:41:18 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:12:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:12:44 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Must be laundry day - the dirty socks are piling up.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:27:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 12:53:31 PM PST
Kamali says:
As Linda J. Manson says, Anne George. Hope that helps cheer you up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:42:10 PM PST
Holly says:
Well -- this thread appears to be totally hi-jacked by folks promoting books versus readers sharing books. I am not at all happy with the last 3 posts (not including yours, DL). No way am I going to read any of these books.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:45:57 PM PST
I'm with you, Holly. This Bob Rosenblum guy seems to have a whole squadron of spammers. Garbage posts for his book have been appearing for weeks now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:48:12 PM PST
Holly says:
It's just sad because this type of activity is just a thread/forum killer. No point in even looking at any posts if we get taken over by these promos (and it's pretty obvious that is what they are).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  251
Total posts:  537
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  21 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 52 customers

Search Customer Discussions