Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Recommendations for "clean" mysteries?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 876-900 of 940 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:57:29 PM PST
Ditto

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:46:33 PM PST
There is a fairly unknown mystery writer whose work I read and reviewed a couple of times, as I really enjoy her work. Her name is Sandra Carey Cody and she writes the Jenny Connor mysteries. I can't remember where they're set, but they're clean mysteries. The family atmosphere in her books was really appealing. I read Put out the Light and Consider the Lilly. She's written more since then, but I haven't read them yet. So many authors to get through!

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:58:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 17, 2012 5:24:13 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012 11:30:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2012 9:27:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012 11:04:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 17, 2012 10:34:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 11:41:53 AM PDT
Rick Terr says:
Millennium mysterium. Ben lux

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 9:58:19 AM PDT
Question: What exactly do you mean by clean? I'm a published author working on a murder mystery in which a bit of gore happens off stage and the romantic thread is mostly hugging, kissing, a little fondling, and promises of more after the door is closed. Would you say that qualifies as a "clean mystery?" I will take a look at some of these very helpful reommendations. Thanks, folks.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 10:17:59 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Patricia McCord--That sounds like it would be OK.

Bear in mind that if you come here later and say--I did it--wrote what you wanted!!!! you will be DELETED BY AMAZON for self-promotion.

Male authors only sometimes go into the sex a la Evanovich routines--but when they do, I tend to stop reading.

One man whose books I am in love with are those by Lee Charles Kelley. He is (or was, the books make frequent reference to some fool dog trainer in NYC who may have traded that life for writing stupid mysteries) a NYC dog trainer whose books are set up in Maine. Our hero's girl friend is a pathologist and frequently acts as the local medical examiner. They are adults, but blessedly we don't hear what was supposed to have happened had there not, say, been a phone call for her to go check out an unattended death.

Flap Tucker the dog loves his methods. The look on her cute face when she realized what I really wanted her to do was WONDERFUL! She was exactly what she was supposed to be--excited and happy!

Flap Tucker the detective (one of two series by Philip dePoy--both clean and generally good) is MALE! Somebody didn't stop to think about checking on sex when she named the puppy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 7:52:10 PM PDT
I have been reading P.B. Ryan's Gilded Mysteries series with Nell Sweeny. They are set in Boston during the 1800's, so there is a large degree of propriety in the way sex is portrayed. I am not a prude, but I don't want to read graphic gutter language and gratuitous sex scenes page after page. I'm sure you get the idea. Thanks for your note.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:15:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 4, 2012 9:11:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 5:39:07 AM PDT
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
This includes family members.

Initial post: May 16, 2011 4:46:41 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Reported. Again.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 2:41:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 5, 2012 2:52:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 2:44:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 2:44:42 PM PDT
Did you even bother to look at the post directly above yours?

Initial post: May 16, 2011 4:46:41 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Reported.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:43:30 PM PDT
I found this very helpful, I've found a few authors that I now want to read. Thanks. My first encounter with mystery books was Dorothy Simpson. I was hooked after that. My favorites are: Marcia Muller, Anthony Elgin, Louise Penny, P.D. James, Elizabeth George, Jacqueline Winspear, Alexander McCall Smith, Alan Bradley. I did not like Janet Evanovich at all. I don't particularly like Sue Grafton, Anne Perry, or James Patterson. Joann Fluke's are just ok, a little too light and simple. (Although the two James Patterson novels I kind of liked were: Sail and Now You See Her).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:23:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:39:54 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:48:34 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Reported

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:29:31 AM PST
Since I have had two "suspense" novels published how do I contact the "Meet Our Authors" community? PB LaSALLE

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:34:21 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
For Pete's sake, the link to that forum is IN the post to which you replied!

DL

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:02:58 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:07:16 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
< I was concerned as to whether it was correct to mention the contents of my books here without being chastised>

What part of "With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. " did you not understand when you read the post to which you originally responded?

So yes, I did and do consider it "imperative" to remark on your apparent refusal to read the posts to which you reply.

DL

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:58:09 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:03:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 1:03:26 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Love the fact that this is a public forum and that there is no such thing as "contacting" each other.

Are you, perhaps, tracking this thread via email notices? Those come from Amazon and do NOT come from individual posters. It could also explain why you don't seem to realize to which post you are replying and the fact that there are other earlier posts on this thread that render your entries incomprehensible.

Sad for your sake as well,

DL

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:16:01 PM PST
I was relieved when Amazon put a stop to author self promotion outside of the one community. I purchase and read a great deal, but I do make it a point to NOT purchase books where the author doesn't honor Amazon's policies against self promotion. It's a simple courtesy and very clear. You might want to re-think the number of readers you offend when you appear to believe these rules only apply to others. Up to you, of course, but I'll have to stand with Dog Lover here, though my cat will be unhappy if he finds out. Must remember to pre-check shoes for hair balls for a bit. Best wishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:18:04 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
LOL!

Not to worry. I have TWO cats (both almost 20 years old and thriving.)

We practice all-animal-inclusion in our household!

Love to da kitties

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:26:26 PM PST
Oh good - I'll let Jeb know we're cool. Almost 20 y/o cats are amazing. He's younger, but about 20 lbs, so I do hate to offend him. We used to raise Siberian Huskies but that was before his time. He is fairly sure he's king of the roost...and he's right. Best wishes from North Pole, Alaska. And for any little ones - yes, Santa does live here. He and Mrs. Claus have a lovely house a mile or two away across some woods. The reindeer are in good shape and ready to fly. Merry Christmas all!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
1 Mar 14, 2015
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 6375 8 hours ago
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1147 21 hours ago
Mysteries without graphic violence and sex - but that aren't silly 50 1 day ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 235 1 day ago
Amusing British Mysteries 920 8 days ago
Help me find a book?! M/T where the MC is trying to find the man who framed her father for murder 0 11 days ago
Mystery/Suspense with Conman and scam artists 2 12 days ago
Mystery goals? 5 17 days ago
Elderly lady solving crimes? 72 21 days ago
READER-to-READER MYSTERY REVIEWS: Share the customer reviews you've written 112 21 days ago
murder mysteries with isolated mansion...etc. 12 23 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  417
Total posts:  940
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions