Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Recommendations for "clean" mysteries?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 940 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 11:41:59 PM PDT
M. Johnson says:
The late Sarah Caudwell wrote very, very British mysteries, solved by a prim law professor. The characters themselves may not be clean, but the prose is hilariously so!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 12:29:26 AM PDT
Ellery Queen is a good read as far as Mysteries go. The older ones at least don't go into a lot of detail about forensics and such (it's done off camera) and since they were written back in the 30's - 40's (if I remember right) there isn't a lot of explicit content either.

And who can forget Sherlock Holmes? While most of the mysteries are short stories there are 4 novel length stories as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2008 2:05:02 PM PDT
avid reader says:
"I love the elegance and wit of the British authors like Christie, as well as the humor and style of Peters. And, I get really bummed when I get half-way through a book and run into graphic sex/violence."
Then CHRISTMAS IS MURDER by C.S. Challinor would be your cup of tea, and as you say you read Christian mystery, try IN THE DEAD OF WINTER by Nancy Mehl. The plot is easy to follow. CHRISTMAS IS MURDER is more Agatha Christie and has a lot of British charm and wit.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 3:55:37 PM PDT
I didn't filter through all the responses, but in my fast scan I didn't see Bill Crider and his Sheriff Dan Rhodes mysteries mentioned. A retired dean from Alvin Community College in South Texas, he also has a couple of series based on university life. Dan Rhodes is NOT your sterotype Texas sheriff - no big hat, boots, etc. Just small Texas town. I also really like Joan Hess and her Magoody books, but I did seem them mentioned at least once. I also really like the Mrs. Jeffries mysteries set in England.
Best of luck on your search. CLM

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 4:09:29 PM PDT
K. McBride says:
I would recommend Tom Morrisey's Wind River and the O'Malley series written by Dee Henderson. While there is a inspirational theme with both authors, none are too preachy and both write a seriously good plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 6:37:20 PM PDT
Try the mysteries of authors Steven Havell and Bill Crider. Both are excellent, have sympathetic characters, and they are clean. Both of them are still writing so you might be able to try one or more from your local library before buying.

What abour Aaron Elkins anthropologist "bone" detective? Then there is also Rhys Bowen's "Evan Evans" who is a small town Welsh police constible.

What about Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn novels? They are tribal policemen for the Navaho nation.

Have you tried any of Josaphine Tey's novels.

Robert Hans Van Gulik wrote 17 novels about a Tang dynasty magistrate named Judge Dee. I loved them.

If you can find them at used book dealers Arthur Upfield's mysteries about an aboriginal Australian detective, named Napoleon Bonaparte, are good. (NB was adopted). Death of a Lake is the best.

Good Reading,

Richard Young

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 8:16:33 PM PDT
Meg Miller says:
Have you read Mary Stewart's books?? I find myself rereading Elizabeth Peters books and hers as well!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 3:25:49 AM PDT
I really like Sarah Graves! You need to read them in the order they were written tho. HAH! my initials are AH too! Annette Hall

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 12:18:11 PM PDT
Laura says:
If you search "Cozy Mystery" on Amazon you'll get dozens of entertaining, clean reads. Definitely try either of the Laura Childs series.

For a meatier read, Stephen White's, Dr. Ala Gregory series, is very entertaining. He's a psychologist married to an Assistant DA. They have a young daughter, two dogs and a house in the mountains of Boulder Colorado.

The two J.A. Jance series (J.P Beaumont and Joanna Brady) are also very supenseful and enjoyable reads.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 6:06:52 PM PDT
Evan Lewis says:
Plenty of good clean fun in Ann Littlewood's first "zoo-dunnit" mystery, Night Kill. Who needs sex when you have smart, fresh humor, real-as-next-door characters and deadly doings behind the scenes at the zoo. Night Kill leaps out of the cage in September. Order now and be among the first to catch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 6:46:33 PM PDT
Elizabeth Peters is great with that, as you mention - you KNOW that Amelia and Emerson have a GREAT sex life, and she never needs to go into deal.

I have to agree with you about the graphic scenes and people jumping in the sack when they barely know each other (and with no protection, too), but I particularly hate it when, as happens over and over again, authors have cops getting involved with suspects, lawyers with clients, cops with lawyers - all of which would be considered highly unethical in the real world.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 6:54:53 PM PDT
I just saw that you mentioned Agatha Christie - I've just read some (I think there are four out so far under the Felony & Mayhem imprint, but others may be available in older editions used) by a woman named Elizabeth Daly, about a gentleman detective named Henry Gamadge, set in 1940s NYC. A wee bit dated, but still very enjoyable, and the reason I was reminded was that she's touted (at least in the cover blurbs) as "Agatha Christie's favorite writer." There generally (in 3 of 4 books, at least) appears to be a supernatural angle, which of course is disproved at the end.

The one's I've read are: Murders in Volume 2, Evidence of Things Seen, and The House Without the Door. The other one is Nothing Can Rescue Me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 6:56:02 PM PDT
Tara L. Bell says:
Have you tried Alexander Smith's books?...He has a series in Africa (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series) and another series with completely different characters set in Scotland.---- Adventuresome, no patronizing, clever plots, wonderful characters.

Also try the author (since you like Christie) Nagio Marsh. She is a great mystery writer, peers with Christie, setting in England or New Zealand and perhaps others, I haven't read them all...but probably will before it's all said and done.

You might like Penelope Lively too, not a mystery writer though...still perhaps...try her latest novel.

Enjoy your reading! TLB

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 7:08:07 PM PDT
Pamela -
I know exactly what you mean, though I've never read that particular series. I hate it when I'm racing through a mystery and all of a sudden the plot comes to a screeching halt, and I just get the feeling the editor penciled in "insert obligatory graphic sex scene here," or maybe someone told the author before they sent the book it that they had to have it. They distract (and detract) from the main plotline, almost never provide any insight into any characters, and are completely unnecessary and in my case, unwanted.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 8:34:31 PM PDT
Question.. did you start from the beginning on the CAT WHO books or jump in mid-series? I really like action packed Dean Koontz mystery thrillers but still very much love Lilian Jackson Braun's tales. However I could see if one did not start at the beginning how they could be felt to be snoozers. Really, her work almost fits your 'requirements' to a tee! And they are very intelligently written. I won't fawn over them like I could, I will just suggest reading the first three or four books if you have not before labeling them as ambien replacements. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2008 9:28:35 PM PDT
John Harrod says:
I'm going to toot my own horn. My book titled For The Future meets all the standards your looking for. The mystery is what keeps your attention without using violence or sex scenes. Just search Amazon under John Calvin Harrod.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 8:33:51 AM PDT
mystery novel .... Fathers of Myth by Richard Wyatt
paperback or Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 9:16:42 AM PDT
critters says:
I could 3rd or 4th a lot of the previous posters, but I'd like to 2nd the vote for Nero Wolfe. If you read them, you'll see why the idea of sex in the books is laughable. :D I'd also like to add John Lamb's Teddy Bear mysteries to the list; they're GREAT fun and technically accurate (John is a retired investigator), but there's no graphic violence or sex.

My mom dislikes Janet Evanovich for the reasons you mention, but she likes Sue Grafton.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 12:07:49 PM PDT
Mocha's Mom says:
I like Louise Penny's books - Still life, The Cruelest Month, and A Fatal Grace. The books are like Simenon's or Christie's. Chief Inspector Gamache is sensitive and kind. They are a sort of frozen "cozy" set in Three Pines.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 12:38:14 PM PDT
Thanks Mocha's Mom, just reserved all 3 at the library!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 12:38:34 PM PDT
I agree with your tastes.
Here are some of my favorites.

Valerie Wolzien - Susan Henshaw series and Josie Pigeon series
Jill Churchill - Jane Jeffreys series and "Grace and Favor" series
Carolyn Hart - "Murder on Demand" series and Henrie O. series
Kathrine Hall Page - Faith Fairchild series
Mary Dahaim - "Bed and Breakfast" series and "Alpine Advocate" series
Joanna Fluke - Hannah Swensen series
Diana Mott Davidson - Goldy Bear series
Mary Stewart
Joanna Carl - "Chocoholic Mysteries" series
Dorothy Gilman - Mrs. Pollifax series
Monica Ferris - Needlework series

That should keep you busy for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2008 8:44:26 PM PDT
Butterfly says:
Have you read Sherlock Holmes Vol 1& 2? You can't get better than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 6:03:17 AM PDT
Laura Lippman for sure! "Baltimore Blues" and the next couple of books are a little on the cozy side, but the later novels in the series really evolve into amazing stories. My hands down favorite author.

I also love Carol Goodman- not your traditional mysteries, but if you like Barbara Michaels I think you would really like her.

Also, did anyone suggest Margaret Maron yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 8:47:09 AM PDT
Hi!

Might I suggest Searchable Whereabouts by Tinisha Nicole Johnson and Once Is Never Enough by Margie Gosa Shivers? Both are available here on Amazon.

Linda R. Herman, Author of Consequences When Love Is Blind
www.lindarherman.com

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 9:17:26 AM PDT
Jane Wood says:
New author J J Lumsden has combined mystery with the paranormal in his debut novel The Hidden Whisper. It's a great read with no graphic descriptions or sex scenes. The story centers on Dr. Luke Jackson, a parapsychologist, who is called to investigate strange happenings in a "well-to-do" house in the Arizona desert. The main body of the book is given to the well-written mystery, however there's an added treat at the back - a set of end notes that expand on the science behind the parapsychology threads that emerge throughout the text. I throughly enjoed it, and hope you do too.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  417
Total posts:  940
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 56 customers

Search Customer Discussions