Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 537 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 5:49:34 AM PST
Katsie says:
I second Sarah Strohmeyer, Tamara Myers and would like to add Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody stories. They start with the crocodile on the sandbank and made me laugh so much! Hope you enjoy them too. I also love Janet Evanovich and have read them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 12:57:13 PM PST
Susan says:
This had me rolling on the floor: The Clothes They Stood Up In and The Lady in the Van (Today Show Book Club by Alan Bennett

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 7:53:34 AM PST
M. Colville says:
TRY THESE: JENNIFER CRUSIE= FAV= BET ME, WELCOME 2 TEMPTATION, FAKING IT, ALSO FAST WOMEN, ANYONE BUT YOU
NOT MYSTERIES (EXCEPT FAST WOMEN, SORT OF), BUT LOTS OF FUN!
ALSO:
JOAN HESS'S MAGGODY BOOKS (MYSTERIES), NOTE: WHILE THIS IS A SERIES, YOU CAN START WITH ANYONE OF THEM, YOU DON'T NEED TO SEEK OUT THE FIRST ONE AND READ ON FROM THERE.
DONNA ANDREWS-THE ONES WITH BIRDS IN THE TITLES
NANCY MARTIN- THE BLACKBIRD SISTERS BOOKS
sorry about all caps- keyboard locked- not yelling !
another idea-
Have you read Dick Francis ? I find his world very uplifting. While not funny, his world is refreshing. The people are good people, the bad guys, while often REALLY bad, are the odd-men out. The good guys are the norm here, not noir at all. When I am down, I can enjoy him- while I can't go to Cornwell, Grimes, or George, because they are too dark.
Have fun! much laffin awaits you !

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 4:37:53 PM PST
I agree, Harley Jane Kozak is great. I think she has only written two books for far but I have enjoyed them greatly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 4:46:33 PM PST
I just love Mary Kay Andrews Savannah Blues Series and Hissy Fit. I also enjoyed Jennifer Crusie's Fast Women, Bite me, Taking it, and crazy for you. Someone has also mentioned the Donna Andrews Murder w/ books. They are a real quick read and don't tax your mind much. She also has a hilarious web site that I enjoyed reading as much as her books. Lawrence Block writes a murder series called The Burglar who...which is very witty and enjoyable. I haven't like his other series. Lisa Scottoline's Courting Trouble is one of my favorite books I also liked her Killer Smile. Some of the others she has written are a little darker so you just have to look at each one of them. Susan Elizabeth Phillips has some great laugh out loud books that you feel good at the end. The Vicki Bliss series by Elizabeth Peters...hard to find as they were written before the Peabody series...are great fun and remind me a lot of Evanovich. Good luck and I hope you feel happier soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 5:00:20 PM PST
I have forgotten about Dorothy, but the first in this series is call "THE THIN WOMAN" and it is great book many of us not so thin women get a good laugh and a great mystery out of...not good sentence structure here...but the thought counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 5:01:14 PM PST
My father's personal favorites!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 5:56:45 PM PST
Linda Rose says:
I love Evanovich's Stephanie Plum for a laugh. Just finished Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day: A Novel by Toni McGee Causey which was almost as good. Looking forward to more by Causey.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 7:13:31 PM PST
Twinsmom says:
bubbles books by sarah strohmeyer
and all the maggody books by joan hess including characters named duracell buchanan!!
also the claire malloy series by joan hess

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 10:07:58 AM PST
JB says:
FYI, Wanda, Bill Bryson is a funny and exceptional writer but not a mystery writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 11:54:49 AM PST
RedBecca says:
There are a lot of great suggestions here. In the humorous mystery category I recommend the following series:

1. the "In High Heels" series by Gemma Halliday
2. McAfee Twins series by Jennifer Colt
3. Blackbird Sisters series by Nancy Martin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 12:36:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2008 7:28:32 PM PST
Did I already mention the Dover series by Joyce Porter? The Unkindest Cut of All, Dover Goes to Pott, several others. Detective chief inspector Dover of Scotland Yard is lazy, mean and stupid, and is given cases that will take him as far from London as his co-workers can possibly get him. He's fortunate to be assisted by bright young Sgt. MacGregor who does most of the heavy lifting on the cases while Dover hogs the credit. These were written in the late 60s and early 70s as campy tonics to Christie's brilliant, eccentric sleuths.

But laugh out loud funny? I'm sure I've read some that were but I can't think of what they were. Right now I'm reading a book that is laugh out loud funny but it's not really a mystery in the strictest sense though there are lots of mysterious elements. It's `John Dies at the End' by David Wong. If you liked Ghostbusters and Scooby-Doo you'll love it. OK, I've got it- imagine Jim Thompson writing the book for Ghostbusters III and you've got it. Only cooler and nobody falls in love with their mother.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 6:12:06 PM PST
Hi. Great post. I got several good leads off this topic.

For years, I've loved quirky funny books of all sorts.

Perhaps the funniest authors I've seen listed here are Christopher Moore- Lamb, The Stupidest Angel, Fluke, actually anything he's written.
Hiassen is outstanding, because he truly tortures the wicked. Sue Grafton, Linda Barnes, and Robert B Parker is pretty tongue-in-cheek.
But I'd like to add a few names to the pot.
Tim Dorsey, Bill Fitzhugh, and lastly, an amazing book which isn't a mystery, but makes me snort out loud- "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole, which also won a Pulitzer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 9:49:32 AM PST
Gail West says:
I just finished reading a book called "On the Ropes" by Tom Schreck... I bought it because of the basset hound on the cover and it was a hoot! Definately made me laugh out loud. There are some great bar conversations and the author certainly nailed the personality of the basset hound.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 12:29:04 PM PST
Donna Andrews and Joan Hess for fun mysteries.
Jennifer Crusie for funny chick lit.
Terry Pratchett for funny fantasy. They're laugh out loud hysterical. In _Hogfather_ Santa's gone missing, and the need for a stand-in is SO great, Death steps in to fill his sleigh. And he's a little shaky on how to do jolly.
Maskerade is a fun read for fans of _Phantom of the Opera._
And for anyone who remembers the Smurfs, try Pratchett's trilogy about Tiffany Aching and her dealing with the pictsies(led by Rob Anybody) are a riot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 7:09:14 PM PST
S. Stephens says:
Hi Wanda. I also LOVE Janet Evanovich's books. I haven't found anyone as funny as she is but I have found some really good ones. Carl Hiaasen is very funny (Skin Tight is hilarious). Meg Cabot (author of The Princess Diaries) has a line of adult books out which are fun. Size 12 Isn't Fat and Queen of Babble are two series that she has which are enjoyable. Maddy Hunter has a line of books out which are cute (Alpine for You, Top 'O the Mournin, etc). Victoria Laurie is also a fun read. If you liked the Undead books you will like her books too. I'm sure there are others but I read so much that I don't remember everything. Anyway, this was a great post. I will definitely check out some of the authors mentioned by other people who posted here. I hope life goes better for you in this new year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 1:00:00 AM PST
Try T.R. Pearson - A Short History of a Small Place (find it used)

It's like sitting on the front porch of a small southern town and listening to all the funniest old relatives gossip as the neighbors pass by. Here's an excerpt: Aside from being naturally soft and mealy, Daddy said Sheriff Burton was probably a little too much encumbered with the implements of law enforcement to have the chance of being nimble. He couldn't take half a step with the leather creaking and the metal jingling, and when he tried to run, Daddy said he was extremely musical and put himself in some peril what with all his free-swigning attachments threatening to beat him senseless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 4:44:06 PM PST
Smart girl says:
I highly reccomend Maddy Hunter's series. Some of her titles are G'day to Die, Pasta Imperfect...there are about four in the series and they are probably right after Evanovich in funny books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 5:31:28 PM PST
Bonner '62 says:
Terry Pratchett is great. I would go with Guards! Guards! which is kind of a police procedural if one on a flat planet being carried through the universe on the back of a giant turtle counts as procedure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 8:04:09 PM PST
Wanda Hughes says:
thanks all and happy new year

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 6:24:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2008 8:29:53 PM PST
It's probably unseemly to say my own book's really good . . . but what the heck, I never read that it's poor form to tell people you're funny, especially since that's part of why people pay me to write stuff.

If you'd like, check out Scene of the Grime, the first book in the Grimesolvers mystery series from Signet. I co-wrote it with my wife Suzanne under our shared pseudonym Suzanne Price. We tried to make it humorous but real and I think we succeeded. Basically, we wanted to have fun and write the sort of book Suzanne especially likes to read at bedtime . . . and those tend to be mysteries that make her laugh.

FYI we test cleaning tips on our clothes and furniture before sticking 'em in the book. Yes, we will chance destroying house and wardrobe alike for our readers.

I'll shamelessly tip you that the second book in our series, Dirty Deeds, is coming out in June or July '08. I believe that one tops the first, as we'd grown more comfortable with the characters and setting.

Hope you don't want to kill me for plugging our series here. But we're very proud of it.

FYI, we love reader feedback and try to respond to everyone who writes (serial killers and stalkers excluded, thank you). So if you have comments about the book or anything else, email us for now at preisler@jeromepreisler.com. We're on target to have a better, full-featured website up by the spring, hopefully with neat cleaning tips, cat stories, photos of the real-life inspirations for our fictional town of Pigeon Cove, and other stuff related to the Grimesolvers series.

Jerome Preisler

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 8:28:14 AM PST
L. Balodis says:
Joanne Fluke is great- the Hannah Swenson Mysteries, Or the Southeren Sisters Myteries by Anne George are a riot!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 5:58:46 PM PST
JR says:
There are three Sam The Cat: Detective books out. They are a takeoff on the Humphrey Bogart The Maltese Falcon. They are very, very LOL funny and good mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 11:00:50 AM PST
Rosamoline says:
I know that when I hear chuckles & snorts of laughter coming from the other side of the bed, it's my husband chortling his way through another Donald Westlake novel. I myself think Simon Brett's Charles Parris series is hilarious (Parris is a mediocre actor & as one reads the series, one also gets a sharply satiric look at various stages of the British entertainment industry). I don't like Brett's Pargeter & Fethering books nearly so much as these earlier ones. Also, many mysteries by the prolific Robert Barnard are very snarky and very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 5:43:37 PM PST
Craig Johnson's Cold Dish is a great tongue and cheek aging contemporary Wyoming Sheriff and his Cheyenne Indian side kick who are solving crime in a small western town.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  251
Total posts:  537
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 52 customers

Search Customer Discussions