Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 526 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 9:57:04 PM PST
"Auntie Mame" by Patrick Dennis is as screamingly funny as any book I've read in my 63 years. You've probably seen it on the stage or screen. They didn't capture half of it; the funniest parts wouldn't fit the production code of the time.

Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 10:52:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2008 11:05:48 PM PST
"1601" by Mark Twain is the world's most erudite fart joke. Only a few pages, but as funny as it gets.

http://www.fullbooks.com/1601.html

This speech by Twain, delivered to the Stomach Club, is somewhat in the same vein:

"A Few Thoughts on the Science of Onanism"

http://www.ralphmag.org/onan.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 7:12:53 PM PST
Just finished Agnes & The Hitman. Hilarious. Made me laugh as much as Stephanie Plum, which is saying something. Also love Betsy the Vampire Queen of the Undead series -- Undead and Unwed, Undead and Unemployed, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 2:55:36 PM PST
TopCatLvr says:
Robert B. Parker's Spenser books are funny. Also the Maggody series by Joan Hess. The latter is full of eccentric characters and general wackiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 11:13:51 AM PST
K. M. Glenn says:
Hi - these books are in the young adult section, but I laughed out loud so much with Louise Rennison books - Confessions of Georgia Nicolson - smart aleck teen, but boy are they funny! I read the Janet Evanovich and Undead series too

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008 11:52:12 AM PST
Julie Garwood's Mercy made me laugh out loud.

barbara

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008 11:56:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2008 11:57:19 AM PST
I think Donald Westlake's writing is hysterical. I also like Carl Hiaasen and Lawrence Shames. Unfortunately when they made a movie of Westlake's "What's the Worst Thing That Can Happen", as usual Hollywood didn't get the casting right. I was really disappointed.

My sister and I write the new funny Silver Sisters Mystery series. The audio version of "A Corpse in the Soup" was recently named Best Mystery Audio Book - 2007 by USA Book News. Take identical wisecracking silver-haired Mae West lookalikes, add an eighty year old Jewish mother and uncle who are former vaudeville magicians and love to dress up in costumes to "go undercover", Waldo the Wonder Dog who talks (sort of) and four chefs competing for the Greatest Gourmet Gladiator medal in an over the top TV cook-off, stir well and try to control the chuckles. This whodunit leads the reader on a merry chase through the glitzy world of TV chefs in search of the real killer.

The second book, Seven Deadly Samovars, is nearing completion. I invite you to visit our website for more information and to take a peek at the first three chapters of "A Corpse in the Soup."

MORGAN ST. JAMES
www.silversistersmysteries.com
Best Mystery Audio Book - 2007 - USA Book News
A CORPSE IN THE SOUP
by Morgan St. James and Phylllice Bradner

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 3:00:56 PM PST
Speedster says:
Try Lori Avocato's Pauline Sokol Series. She reminds me a lot of Stephanie Plum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 8:52:41 PM PST
Hi Wanda,

I don't know if you're still in the mood for funny, but I can recommend one author. I'm reading J.A. Konrath right now. I find each book in his series gets funnier because the main character manages to always get herself into the wrong situation. And somehow through it all she's taught her nemisis, Mr. Friskers, to sometimes use the litter box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008 1:32:51 PM PDT
S. McLuggage says:
If you like Robert B Parker, try this. Perfectly Healthy Man Drops Dead, by Bruce Hartman. Great writing, very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008 7:07:23 PM PDT
R. Brewer says:
I think there is only one of this non-series, but I loved the audio version of "Agnes and the Hitman". Very southern, and who cares about the dead bodies piling up . . . they weren't very nice folks anyhow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008 8:57:14 PM PDT
J. McGee says:
I enjoy the Desiree Shapiro Mysteries by Selma Eichler, the China Bayles Mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert, and Dead-end Job Mysteries & Mystery Shopper by Elaine Viets. I have found some wonderful authors (new to me) through this Mystery Discussion Forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 5:13:53 AM PDT
You will love the M C Beaton (Agatha Raisin series), Emily Richard and Pam Broderick books

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 7:51:16 PM PDT
Try Rhonda Pollero. she is just like Evanovich. Her character Finley Anderson Tanner will have you laughing so hard your mascara will run down to your chin. Also Elaine Viets writes wonderful books as does T. Dawn Richard & don't forget Laura Levine These are my absolute favorites when I need comic relief

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 7:52:42 PM PDT
It is just a shame that Anne George passed away. another former author was Charlotte Mcleod

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 8:05:17 PM PDT
She now writes under the name Mary Kay Andrews and she is still great

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 8:13:50 PM PDT
Sue Grafton is great. Jerrilyn Farmer is terrific, the funny thing I have learned things in her books that I have sat up saying Wow! Fannie Flagg writes delightful books that just make you smile. I love Carl Hiaasen, and Dave Barry. Evelyn David is great too. Please don't take my books away I would go stark raving nuts without the comic releif and escape. Glad I am not alone

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 8:21:19 PM PDT
JB says:
I have laughed myself to tears over Carl Hiaasen. Would NOT miss one of his books. Grafton and Flagg and Barry are good too though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 8:32:44 PM PDT
got to be careful with Westlake sometimes he writes really scarey serious stuff. I love Dortmunder

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 10:02:40 PM PDT
Elizabeth Peters, particularly the earlier (maybe first 5-6) Amelia Peabody books. The later ones, not so much - at least not as funny, though they're still enjoyable. She has two other series (Jacqueline Kirby and Vicky Bliss) as well as a bunch of standalone books. _Die For Love_ (Jacqueline Kirby) is a hilarious sendup of the romance novel business, with a body thrown in, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 2:30:54 PM PDT
Cindy V says:
June Shaw,

I went to buy your book Relative Danger and found out that it is not published in Kindle format. I only read books in the kindle format. Could you let me know when it will be available for purchase at the kindle store?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 2:41:20 PM PDT
Cindy V says:
Nancy L. Smith wrote "It is just a shame that Anne George passed away. another former author was Charlotte Mcleod".

These 2 are top on my favorite authors list. So sad to see talent like that gone. I will miss their books. I was wondering why no new books came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 9:13:56 PM PDT
LeAnne Burns says:
I've read all of Janet Evanovich's books and have been looking for something else to tickle my funny bone. I have read the first book by Natalie M. Roberts who writes about a dance teacher/detective. I laughed until I cried! Give her a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 11:26:41 PM PDT
Try Rhonda Pollero, Laura Levine, Elaine Viets, Carolyn Haines Bones series, T Dawn Richard. Carl Hiaasen, Gemma Halliday. Start with Rhonda and trust me your neighbors will be laughing along from hearing you in histerics. I suggest leave eye makeup off unless you want to be mistaken for Nipper the dog (RCA)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 7:58:03 AM PDT
puttenz lang says:
hi wanda, anything by christopher buckley [thank you for smoking] and i agree about the harlan coben bolitar series. beyond hysterical! also a real sleeper by nelson de mille who usually writes about terrerism, but this one is laugh out loud 'the gold coast'
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  245
Total posts:  526
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions