Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Barb's Books & Chat (III)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:09:21 PM PST
L. M. Keefer says:
All~

Just watched ELEMENTARY--loved the algorithm clue for code for the safe. Love the complexity of the plots.

Mr. B--is JUSTIFIED good?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:14:54 PM PST
I haven't had time to check when it was released. I've been too busy signing autographs. ;)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:18:46 PM PST
Mike,

One of the good memories of my childhood was going up the hill from my grandparents' home to Uncle Sam's farm. He was my grandfather's youngest brother, and he lived with two maiden sisters, Aunt Susie and Aunt Myrtle. Aunt Myrtle always had baked sweet potatoes in the warming box on the wood-burning stove, and one with butter (cow butter, not margarine) was my treat for visiting.

I'm reading Rhys Bowen's THE TWELVE CLUES OF CHRISTMAS, set during the Depression and featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch, sister of the Duke of Rannoch and 35th in line to the throne of England. She's broke, so she's working as the token lady aristocrat at an "Old English Christmas" houseparty that's actually composed of paying guests. Only there have been three deaths, possibly accidental, as well as three convicts recently escaped from Dartmoor on the loose. Sounds like it may be an exciting time. So far, pretty good. More anon.

Linda S.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:23:22 PM PST
Mike,
I, too, am fond of sweet potatoes, baked in the skin. However, I don't add butter. Unlike a white potato that NEEDS butter, I think the sweet potato is moist enough.
Hadn't thought to put it in a stew. I think I'll give that a try!
Kathy

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:26:22 PM PST
Best thing I've cooked recently: Sweet potato fries, seasoned with Creole seasonings, and baked on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam...

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:32:36 PM PST
Libby,
Did you cut them from whole potatoes or purchase frozen, already cut? I LOVE sweet potato fries.
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:12:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 9:19:20 PM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Libby,

I wouldn't have used the creole seasoning.

I get mine frozen from TJ's

[In fact, at times I've used a mandolin to slice sweet potato into chips, and than I put them on a pan, sprayed w/Pam and baked them.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:16:06 AM PST
Linda,
We live because of memories like that. And if you look on the label for butter it says, "pure cream." Look on the label for margarine and see if it's something you want to put in your mouth. We use cream, milk and eggs...not the other stuff. I just don't trust it (and it doesn't taste good). The difference is that now I make a two egg omelet for the both of us, and I've learned that a dozen oysters is as good as four dozen. It's the little things.
And, as they would be here, were they called Aint Susie and Aint Myrtle?
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:18:04 AM PST
M,
It was only after buying two food processors and two mandolines that I discovered I really like chopping food, and cutting it up by hand. Want to buy a food processor? I'll give you a great price.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:21:15 AM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Mike,

I tell my grandson that if a product has more than 5 ingredients, most of which one is not able to pronounce, than it is not a food but a chemistry experiment.

How many of us remember, post WWII when margarine entered the market mixing the food coloring into it to make it look like butter (complements of the various dairy associations).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:23:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 10:27:22 AM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Mike,

We love our mandolin! Several weeks ago we put it to good use slicing the onions and tomatoes for a family bagels & lox brunch at my cousin's.

[As I think about it, there is something atavistic about wielding a knife for any task. I hear my wife slicing away in the late afternoon in supper prep. The clunk, clunk clunk of the knife striking the bamboo cutting board is nap inducing.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:34:18 AM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Keefer,

RE: PT coming into home. Roni is a delightful woman in her late 50's. Nancy took to her immediately because Roni gets a good part of Nancy's surplus vegies from her garden plot. 9/10 times, Nancy is home when Roni comes around.

JUSTIFIED is a kinda Western set in present day Harlan Cnty, KY. Olyphant plays a US Marshall who played to fast and free with his gun in Miami, and was transferred back to KY. I think it's based on an Elmore Leonard short story, AND now entering its 4 season Jan. 8

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:50:58 AM PST
M,
We used to get our margarine that way - in a bag with a glob of yellow stuff to squeeze into the milky white stuff so it would look like butter. Of course, I remember ice boxes and sitting around the radio. Starting to feel like Walter Brennan here.
Want a shock? Read the little print on the back of your tooth paste tube. It says that if you accidentally swallow some you should immediately call poison control or get medical attention. Keep away from children under the age of six.
Have a nice day,
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:53:27 AM PST
M,
I'm just the opposite. I find something soothing about cutting meats and vegetables on cutting boards (always glass for meat). Something about creating edible art, maybe....or maybe I just like the smells and colors of peppers and onions. I second the earlier posts about the love of sweet potato fries.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:10:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 12:11:33 PM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Mike,

Didn't know about the toothpaste, however I use a dental product w/stanous flouride which has a similar caution, (i.e., do not swallow) which I have to hold in my mouth post brushing for 1/2 [hour] w/out swallowing.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:01:31 PM PST
What a beautiful sunny day for December 14. Hard to believe the end of the world is just around the corner.
Actually the simple fact is that the Mayans ran out of room for their calendar and had to start a new one for the next 7,000 years.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:20:29 PM PST
M. Bernstein says:
anyone w/a Kindle or Nook,

Bad news. You're no longer on the cutting edge of etechnology. An article read recently noted that the single use readers were being replaced at a very high rate by the multifunctional pads.

I'm putting mine in an helium, oxygen free environment with instructions not to open for 75 years, or so. Overtaken by technology again. Tough.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:09:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:10:25 PM PST
I just bought my first Kindle in June. If I got a tablet, I would be totally distracted. I want a reader, not a mini lap-top.

Kathy: I bought the potatoes whole and sliced them myself.

Mr. B: The creole seasoning adds such zest... try it some time.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:12:34 PM PST
Oh, but, Libby! They are so much fun!
OK, yeah, they are distracting, too...
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:16:05 PM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Libby,

Save that Kindle, as its value slides, so will its, well, value.

Anyway, I have my kindle, and I take it when I don't want to be distracted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:19:30 PM PST
I agree, Libby. I like my Kindle. I just want to read books not play games, surf the internet, email and tweet at the same time. I know some people like their pads. Good for them. I'm not interested.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:23:19 PM PST
Mr. B:

You may be right. Soon the ereader may be a collector's item like the 8-track system. I still miss mine which was in my first car..

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:28:26 PM PST
Libby, Kathy, Mr. B,

Talked to my daughter-in-law this week; she's had one of the high-end Kindle Fires for a couple of weeks now, and she loves it. Likes that she can control color of font and background to make reading easier, adjust the brightness. Only thing she doesn't like is trying to type on the touch screen. I can't make up my mind about moving up to a Fire, but I'm a Luddite when it comes to electronics.

Mike,

In my part of the world, Aunt was spelled correctly but was pronounced Ant Myrtle and Ant Susie, as if they were insects! Remember blending in the food coloring to color margarine well. We bought it at the first "supermarket" in Lebanon, H. G. Hill's, housed on the Square (complete with statue of Confederate General Robert Hatton in the center) in a store roughly the size of the main floor of my current house. We really thought we were up-town. Of course, we used cow butter when we had a cow in milk.

I'm about 60% through with THE TWELVE CLUES OF CHRISTMAS. So far there's been a death or a crime (jewel theft) for each day of the house party, not in the house party itself but in the surrounding villages. There's nothing yet to connect the deaths or to prove any of them were murder. Not much characterization of the victims, and not a whole lot more of the house party guests. I'm not terribly impressed. More anon.

Linda S.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:31:18 PM PST
M. Bernstein says:
Linda S.

We pronounced Aunt as, ant. I was kinda surprised when I heard it pronounce Awnt

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:35:06 PM PST
M,
Here, it's ain't. Like laigs and aigs.
Mike
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions