Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 570 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 8:18:23 AM PDT
lilredhen says:
hi leanne - have you tried the sofie metropolis series by tori carrington? if you like the stephanie plum books, you will definitely enjoy sofie!!! i agree with you about natalie roberts' books - i have read two of them and am about to start the third - they are really really good! happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 10:34:56 AM PDT
I've read most of the suggestions listed below and agree they are all good...I'll add a less well known one that will do it for you. The author is Marne Davis Kellogg. There are 4 books in the series: Brilliant, Priceless, Perfect, and Friends in High Places. At least Brilliant is out of print, but you can find it used. Kick Keswick is a jewel thief and a character that reminds me of Stephanie Plum if she had gone bad. Everybody I've recommended them to or shared my books with stayed up all night reading...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 10:50:23 AM PDT
I found the Sofie Metropolis books tooo Greek. Not really that funny unless you are greek. The second one I gave up on and just donated to a hospital

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 10:56:25 AM PDT
Can all of you imagine all the orders Amazon is processing from our suggestions? Wish I had stock in the company

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 11:01:08 AM PDT
She has written more books than that but you have to go to the used bookstores to find them I have read Marne Davis Kellogg from the begining , Nina Wright writes a great series with an aphgan hound that is really funny. Speaking of used bookstores check out the early Elaine Viets books They are worth hunting for

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 2:21:43 PM PDT
Try David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenyrt series. My husbad and I laughed out loud at the dedicatiob of the last one

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 2:47:58 PM PDT
andiesenji says:
I have noted several people have recommended Carl Hiaasen and if you like this author, I would recommend Tim Dorsey.
A friend gave me a copy of Florida Roadkill and once I began reading I could not put it down. The protagonist is just a tad extreme, but there have been times when I could relate.
I finished the book at 3 a.m. and was at Waldenbooks when they opened that morning to purchase the next three books. The two next in line were not in stock so I made the 30-minute trek to Barnes & Noble for them. Subsequently, I purchased the books as they were published.
It may seem odd to have a serial killer as a "hero" but the author has given us one of the most sympathetic bad guys I have ever come across and the fact that he is protective of people who are defenseless earns him top marks in my estimation.
I am also a very big Terry Pratchett fan and active on the TP message boards.
My reading speed is fairly rapid and I am always on the lookout for authors of humorous mysteries. I have been thrilled with the publications of the Rue Morgue Press. The stories from the "Golden Age" of detective fiction are gems.
I also recommend the David Handler Berger & Mitry mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 3:59:49 PM PDT
Pauly56 says:
Try Donald E Westlake, the Dortmunder books. Funny and fun.. You should get a kick out of them

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 6:39:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2008 6:40:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 6:49:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2008 7:06:01 PM PDT
I just finished Lois Greiman's series, "Unplugged", "Unscrewed", "Unzipped", and "Unmanned". Similar to the Evanovich series. She is a cocktail waitress turned pschytherapist. Murder, mystery, and lots of laughs.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 8:18:58 PM PDT
Sammy K says:
Do any of these suggested mysteries omit graphic sexual situations, blood and guts, religion, and evil? Have a book
club with a variety of tastes to please. Help is appreciated.
Sam

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 10:52:12 AM PDT
Yes Laura Levine, and Rhonda Pollero have not gory stuff or sex neither does Elaine Viets

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 11:42:10 AM PDT
Better Off Dead: In Paradise is a Page-Turning Tour De Force!

John Paul Carinci's new thriller, Better Off Dead: In Paradise surpasses Robert Ludlum and Robert Parker and does it with a flair for turning a Caribbean phrase that Jimmy Buffet would envy! A rich and realistic description of the Cayman Islands is the back drop for this page-turning tour de force.

In the original Better Off Dead, we meet Frank Granstino. Frank is a colorful, likable and very believable insurance salesman from Brooklyn, New York that becomes ensnared with the mafia. In the end Frank and his girlfriend Alicia become part of the witness protection program and are sent to heaven on Earth, the Cayman Islands.

In this new thriller, their cover is blown to smithereens and their world is turned upside down. The Mob will stop at nothing for vengeance. Readers will feel their gut reactions to the world of violence that is the mafia. Better Off Dead: In Paradise is not for the faint of heart. The violence is realistic and vivid. The reader will feel the terror right along with Frank and Alicia.

The terrorized couple is forced to flee through the islands, take a trip to New York, and then travel back to the Caribbean. All the while the bad guys are killing and blowing things up in their relentless hunt for revenge. It is only through Frank's clever nature with the help of Alicia's FBI experience that they are able to stay a step ahead.

Better Off Dead: In Paradise is so richly described and the characters and their dialogue is so realistic that the author must have lived through similar action himself, that or done painstaking research. The book has enough twists and turns to satisfy the most ardent thriller fan. It also has more than enough action to attract any reader. The audience is left to guess breathlessly at the ending and almost any reader will guess wrong!

Brien Jones,
Author Celebrity Associates

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 6:42:50 PM PDT
They're not mysteries but you MUST try Terry Pratchett. Or Barry Hughart

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2008 8:09:13 PM PDT
babe47 says:
Try Patrick F. McManus Sherriff Bo Tulley Mysteries. The Blight Way and Avalanche.
You will burst out laughing. They are wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 6:42:36 AM PDT
Jess Laury is an author who lives in a city close to my home in Minnesota, so I have a prejudice toward her -- she seems like a neighbor who deserves to do well. She has written a series of books called "Murder by Month." The first one was "May Day" which introduced the character -- a young, single librarian/small town newspaper reporter. The second and third books ("June Bug" and "Knee High by the Fourth of July") are often laugh out loud funny. Easy reading for summer days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 9:42:12 AM PDT
Has everyone picked up their copy of Evanovich's latest Fearless Fourteen. It has to be the funniest of the Stephanie Plum. It is so hot here in Las Vegas that all I want to do is curl up in a cool room and laugh until I almost wet my pants. This is the just what we need in comic relief

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 9:49:33 AM PDT
RedBecca says:
Picked it up and read it yesterday in one sitting. Loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 9:53:29 AM PDT
Wow you really devoured it . I am trying to savor it a little longer but it reallly is a funny book. Any one here ever read any of Monsier Pamplemousse series They are written by the guy who wrote Paddington for kids and they are great mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 7:03:19 PM PDT
Ann Hatch says:
Who writes as Mary Kay Andrews? Charlotte Mcleod? That would be great! Andrews is on my list of authors to read, thanks to this thread, but she'll jump to the top of the list if she's Mcleod!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 7:33:34 PM PDT
Kathy Hogan Trocheck writes as Mary Kay Andrews Her Calihan Garrity series was really great to read great characters

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 7:45:18 PM PDT
mysterywoman says:
Hi Ann,

Mary Kay Andrews also writes as Kathy Hogan Trocheck. I'm sorry to tell you that Charlotte MacLeod died about two years ago.

Mysterywoman

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 11:02:32 PM PDT
My laugh out loud authors are Janet Evanovich & Donna Andrews (as recommended by others), also Joan Hess - especially her Maggody series (takes place in Arkasas).
By the way, my favorite mystery web site is
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com//GenreCats/index.html

They are still working on the "funny mysteries" link but it's a great resource.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 11:22:12 PM PDT
Ann Hatch says:
People, people, people. This is a wondrous thread, and I hope Wanda is feeling better. But I can't believe that a large group of erudite book lovers such as yourselves - and over a period of several months - have failed to mention (and I've read through the whole thread) the grand-daddy and still reigning king of screwball mysteries, the great John Dickson Carr (sometimes writing as Carter Dickson)!
Some people think "The Blind Barber" is his best one, with its shipboard mystery/comedy with repeated assault and battery on the ship's captain by various blundering would-be detectives. This is the blatantly farcical of all his books, with a lot of drunken shenanigans.
But my all-time favorite (I can crack-up just thinking about it) is "The Cavalier's Cup". It is such a great screwball comedy with a great mystery thrown in. It is Woodhousian.
Carr wrote something like 80 books, and they're all good, but not all are laugh out loud funny.

And the 2nd greatest screwball mystery writer has to be Craig Rice. Her madcap murder mysteries that feature Jake and Helene Justus and John J. Malone are terrific fun.

What a wonderful treat you have in store for yourselves if you are really unfamiliar with these two! Much of their work is out of print, but it is well worth hunting for.

I've seen many of my other favorites on this thread-John Mortimer's "RUMPOLE" books, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody stories, Donald Westlake's Dortmunder series, Donna Andrews, Charlotte Mcleod, Elizabeth Peters, although I agree with an earlier post-er that the earlier (maybe first 5-6) Amelia Peabody books are the best. "Die For Love", with Jacqueline Kirby, it very funny.

Selma Eichler, the China Bayles Mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert, M C Beaton (Agatha Raisin series), and Joan Hess all write fun mysteries, though not madcap and screwball (my definition of what makes us laugh out loud).

Some post-ers have included their favorite non-mystery books for comic relief. I thoroughly agree with whoever suggested "Letters from a Nut" by Ted L. Nancy. I keep spare copies on hand to take to friends who are sick. The tongue-in-cheek adventures in Baptists at Our Barbecue by Robert Farrell Smith makes me laugh until I cry-such outlandish yet recognizable characters.

One last thought (and-yes-I know how long this has become) some have pushed their own books on this thread. Perfectly understandable. May I suggest a book by my 2 sons, written between the ages of 12-17? "The Hero Project" published by McGraw Hill is a great read. They wrote 1000s of letters, leading to interviews with 12 people including Desmond Tutu, Lance Armstrong, Jackie Chan, Florence Joyner-Griffith, etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give it a try. It was a Booklist `Editor's Choice 2005 Award' - Best Adult Title for Young Adults.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 7:38:41 AM PDT
Swampdawg says:
The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille - one of the funniest books ever.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
1 Mar 14, 2015
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 6447 12 minutes ago
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1213 1 hour ago
Elderly lady solving crimes? 73 5 hours ago
The Richard Jury Books by Martha Grimes 71 3 days ago
The Dinner by Herman Koch (Spoilers) 55 6 days ago
READER-to-READER MYSTERY REVIEWS: Share the customer reviews you've written 113 6 days ago
Mysteries without graphic violence and sex - but that aren't silly 50 13 days ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 235 13 days ago
Amusing British Mysteries 920 20 days ago
Help me find a book?! M/T where the MC is trying to find the man who framed her father for murder 0 23 days ago
Mystery/Suspense with Conman and scam artists 2 24 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  570
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions