Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 576 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 9:44:20 AM PDT
How can you not include the early Charley Moon series with his auntie Daisy. Love them all

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 9:49:30 AM PDT
Susan P. says:
Try Linwood Barclay's mysteries. They are really great!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 5:31:49 PM PDT
aloha mama says:
donald westlake, carl Hiaasen, Jeff Shelby, Agatha Christe (great descriptions of people)

Posted on Feb 13, 2010 10:50:35 AM PST
The Big Grabowski
Hilarious mystery! It's kind of like the Tv show "Pickett fences" but is set on the Oregon coast.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 7:25:47 PM PDT
I have to recommend Jennifer Crusie for her sharp wit alone, and Stephanie Bond is shortly later in the list. Kyra Davis also does a great sassy mystery series about (believe it or not) a mystery author.

Admittedly, I want to plug my own novel - it's called DO NO EVIL and it's by myself and my sister, Kymberly Goltermann. It's funny, realistically romantic (none of these dreamy sighs...well, maybe *one*) and tough women who hurdle over life's issues to become private investigators. The women are tough (one was formerly a book publisher, the other was a top LA defense attorney) and there's a grandmother who takes pole dancing classes...what's not to love?

Even better, people who've read it don't know who dunnit - until the very end. ;)

All right, that's my plug. :) Hope you at least look at it. It's out on KINDLE now and will be out in paperback this summer through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Thanks for your time!

-Ashley

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 8:59:57 PM PDT
elleoco says:
Generally I wouldn't think of Dana Stabenow's mysteries that feature Kate Shugak as laugh out loud funny (although all of them have humor in them). However, her "Breakup" does qualify IMO, and it's a bit of a different kind of funny than a lot of the books recommended in this thread. I definitely second, third, fourth, whatever the count would be the recommendation of Ann George's books.

Ellen O'Connell
Rottweiler Rescue: a mystery for dog lovers
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2010 10:12:00 PM PDT
Goodman B says:
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Loved it. Laughed out loud. Read about it in January Magazine. It was picked as one of the top 12 Crime/Mystery novels of the year.

Also the Yiddish Detectives Union...very funny

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 6:28:46 AM PDT
I would strongly recommend Bad Vibrations by Dan Anderson. It is one of the funniest mysteries I have ever read. It has a great plot, fascinating characters and a literate dialog. It is an original for the genre and I hope the author continues to write. The humor is unique and is liberally scatltered among great writing. Oh, and I am mot the author. Check out the reviews on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 6:29:30 AM PDT
I would strongly recommend Bad Vibrations by Dan Anderson. It is one of the funniest mysteries I have ever read. It has a great plot, fascinating characters and a literate dialog. It is an original for the genre and I hope the author continues to write. The humor is unique and is liberally scatltered among great writing. Oh, and I am mot the author. Check out the reviews on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 8:27:08 AM PDT
Christy says:
Hi, Wanda -- Hope life has improved for you since your original 2007 post, but I always like to know where I can find a laugh-out-loud mystery...

So after reading several pages of posts and seeing Donald Westlake mentioned only once, I had to recommend the Dortmunder series by Westlake. The first one is The Hot Rock, which I have read twice and listened to on audio. Westlake wrote other series, but the Dortmunder books are the laugh-out-loud ridiculously funny ones. Great characters and crazy situations. Dortmunder, the protagonist, is kind of a sad sack, down-on-his-luck thief, which leads to many twists and turns.

And speaking of thieves, Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series is another one with great laughs. The Burglar Who... is the beginning of all of the book names. I think "The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams" is my favorite.

Thanks for starting this discussion 3 years ago -- some great ideas!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 9:36:46 AM PDT
Try LIVING WITH YOUR KIDS IS MURDER by Mike Befeler. I have never laughed out loud while reading any book like I did for this one. Norma Tadlock Johnson

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 9:39:54 AM PDT
The book was made into a movie starring Robert Redford as Dortmunder and George Segal as his sidekick very funny movie rent it and laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:21:28 PM PDT
Christy says:
Hi, Nancy -- I think The Hot Rock was the only Dortmunder film that came anywhere near being as good as the books. There were several movies made. I don't think they are nearly as funny or have the characterizations that the books do. Westlake usually sold the rights and didn't have anything to do with the film development.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:42:13 PM PDT
Hi Christy
I think there was another Westlake book made into a movie it was What's the worst that can happen. I don't remember the black actor that played the role. but it was cute. I love the Dortmunder series, Westlake did other funny books but I always loved the Dortmunder ones the best

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:44:51 PM PDT
I love Grandma Mazur and Lula they are such hoots

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:45:45 PM PDT
The latest Grafton book U is for undertow was a huge disappointment

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:48:20 PM PDT
I liked the movie of Where's Poppa but when I got the book years later I did not like the ending of Gordy screwing his mother

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:49:37 PM PDT
So was Native Girl by Hiaassen

Posted on May 15, 2010 6:08:08 PM PDT
Hey It really is not a mystery but a wonderful book I Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith. The story is hilarious about 4 sisters that have to spend a summer under the same roof in order to collect their inheritance. From the first chapter you know all the characters and can actually visualize them. Author Haywood Smith was kind enough to autograph several copies for me and I donated 3 of them to the Nevada Cancer Institute for the patients. Every patient who reads the book gets cast votes who they think should play the various roles. It makes me happy to think that these books are being used a a great escape from the tortue they are enduring in their treatments. A sugestion to readers who like me live in a very cluttered house donate your old books to hospitals and nursing homes you will feel good knowing that others are enjoying the books. A great way to put a smile on someones face

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 8:34:20 PM PDT
I love Janet Evanovich also. I just finished Anne George's Souther Sister's Mystery's and I laughed just as hard as I did when reading about Stephanie's adventures. I hate it that there will not be more books. Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 10:27:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2010 10:44:36 PM PDT
Cecil TSSSS says:
Five pages of posts and finally somone mentions the master of the caper novel, Westlake. I know this is the second, but I wanted to respond to Morgan's comment about the movies. Unfortunately, most films made from his books are pretty bad. Which is odd considering that he has written screenplays himself. Even with an appropriate cast like "Bankshot" (George C. Scott as Dortmundfer) the movie was pretty bad. On the other hand, if you are looking for mindless farce, try "Cops and Robbers" or the much earlier "The Busy Body".

Oh, by the way, if you are looking for light and humorous, read the jacket carefully. Some of his titles get pretty dark.

All of this is IMHO, of course.

MB

By the way, this is in response to Morgan St. James' post of 1/1/2008

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:05:27 AM PDT
I mentioned that not all of Westlake's books are funny some are pretty gory

Posted on May 16, 2010 10:24:09 AM PDT
I haven't read the entire thread, but if no one has mentioned Mark Schweizer's Liturgical Mysteries, let me be the first. Do not be misled by the reference to liturgy. These books are definitely not religious, or spiritual, in nature. Our "hero" is chief of police, and also happens to be the musical director of the church. He also thinks of himself as a writer of noir mysteries. Other opinions about that vary.

Think Monty Python meets Lake Woebegon. I can only read these books in very small doses, because I find myself weeping with laughter. The first of the series is The Alto Wore Tweed: A Liturgical Mystery. They are also available for Kindles.

Posted on May 19, 2010 10:25:48 PM PDT
H. Bae says:
Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series. Anything from future culture (TV show, Church, Food, Names of Saints...etc etc) is just crazy funny.

Fluke is very funny too - great summertime reading. Amelia Earhart is alive and well.

Posted on May 21, 2010 8:43:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 21, 2010 8:43:51 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
6 Jul 12, 2015
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1627 5 hours ago
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 7068 12 hours ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 248 10 days ago
The Richard Jury Books by Martha Grimes 84 12 days ago
Mysteries without graphic violence and sex - but that aren't silly 53 Aug 4, 2015
Cozy search: British setting, younger lead, humor a plus 6 Aug 4, 2015
Books similar to J.D. Robb's "In Death" series? 18 Jul 30, 2015
Stopping Time. Is it Possible? 1 Jul 10, 2015
Please, Are There No Adult Mysteries That Do Not Feature MURDER? 221 Jul 9, 2015
Anyone read this new book? 0 Jun 24, 2015
Mystery wrapped in romance without the discriptive sex. 7 Jun 19, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  576
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  May 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions