Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 576 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:13:03 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
I just went to a fundraiser where C. Hiassen was signing books and talking about Star Island. He is such a cool guy. If you ever get a chance to go to a book signing or hear him speak, I think you'd really enjoy it. I keep thinking he only writes mysteries, but Star Island isn't a mystery, or did I miss something? Also, if you're into quirky, funny writing, (not a mystery) I loved Everybody into the Pool by Beth Lisick. She's got some other books out as well and they're good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:16:07 PM PDT
I just ordered your two books on my iphone Kindle love to read when I am in restaurants sometimes the newspaper in Las Vegas sucks I will let you know how I like your books

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:20:28 PM PDT
I would love to hear Carl Hiaasen speak I also think he is a cutie patootie. Reading a really cute series by Lisa Lutz who writes the Spellman Files and etc. I feel I grew up in a dysfunctional family so reading books with controlling family members has me enjoying every page

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:22:44 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
Nancy, that is so nice of you to get my books and I hope you like them. I'm wondering how you knew I am an author? I don't think I mentioned it in this discussion. (I'm always very grateful when someone else recommends my books, but I don't want to use another author's forum to advertise myself. :) Anyway, that said, thank you SO much!

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:25:22 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
OMG he is SO cute! and really nice, and when he signs your book he really makes you feel like he's happy to talk to you. I haven't read the Lisa Lutz series but I hear really good things about it. When I'm writing I don't read books in the same genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:29:27 PM PDT
One of my pet hobbies is reading great books If I truly enoy the books I try to get authors to autograph copies which I deliver to the Nevada Cancer Institute here in Las Vegas. I find reading to be one of the best escapes there is when faced with medical problems such as undergoing treatment for cancer. I love keeping contact with writers and enjoying everything they write. I will let you know in a few weeks what I think of your Tea books I truly love this forum and have found more wonderful writers this way Take care

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:32:16 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
LOL! Nancy, thank you very much for supporting authors. However, you've mixed me up with another author who has posted on this forum. Please let me know how the TEA books are. They sounded good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:34:17 PM PDT
Keep in touch I love reading I get really panicky when I only have 5 books left to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 9:34:52 PM PDT
babe47 says:
Do the TEA books only come in KINDLE? I'm resisting getting a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 11:25:44 PM PDT
If you have an iPhone or iPad you get the Kindle app

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 11:27:10 PM PDT
If you have an iPhone or iPad you get the Kindle app

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 8:53:51 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Surely they aren't 'Comic Books' but 'Graphic Novels.'

Supposed to be a completely different kettle of fish. That probably take a fair amount of experience before we "get it" and start reading them for their own selves, with different rules and conventions from the print books, and from things like the old "Silver Surfer."

Can't prove this by me, mind you. I've tried two, and didn't love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 12:42:11 PM PDT
Shona Mann says:
I like the Spellman files. She has about 4 of them, each one gets better. By the third, you will laugh out loud.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 2:55:35 PM PDT
Condorena says:
You can also get the kindle app for a Mac if you have a a Mac computer

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 3:07:51 PM PDT
Karen Dotson says:
If you like to travel try...... "Neither Here Nor There" by Bill Bryson. I laughed so hard I cried. Bill Bryson is hilarious!

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 3:11:28 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
For anyone with a 3rd-middle schooler, the Sammy Keyes Mysteries are terrific!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 5:23:32 PM PDT
jrv says:
I would consider reading them if they weren't priced at $9.99 on kindle for a book published in 2005

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 5:34:56 PM PDT
I read a book with a golden retriever and I need the author's name. Apparently he as written quite a few books with dogs - they ar quite entertaining and light reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 5:35:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2010 5:39:22 PM PDT
Sheila says:
Yes, The Tea Series only comes on a Kindle, but you can load the Kindle software on any PC, Mac or smart phone. =)

Hot Tea (The Tea Series)
Sweet Tea (The Tea Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 5:41:16 PM PDT
I know how you feel I have paid more for a book that was out of print several times . My suggestion you might see if a used bookstore in you town has the book. It just seems like everything costs more than it should. I love reading and when I find an author I love I will search for all of their books. It does get pretty expensive sometimes. I have spent several years trying to get a Jerrilyn Farmer book Searching for Sushi.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 5:47:12 PM PDT
I too love mysteries with dogs in them. There are the Kendra Ballantine series, Holly Winter, Nina Wright, Beanie & Cruiser, Evelyn David. Crazy how I can think of books but cannot think of titles or authors I do not know which one has a Golden Retriever Hope my suggestions help

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 9:17:55 PM PDT
Conor says:
Whit-by Iain Banks
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series and also the Dirk gently books by Douglas Adams.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 7:14:02 AM PDT
There is one mystery series (unfortunately only three books) featuring dog trainer Raine Stockton and her golden retriever, Cisco, by Donna Ball. They are "Smoky Mountain Tracks", "Rapid Fire" and "Gun Shy". They are very good and light reading...don't know why she never wrote more in this series.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 1:28:49 PM PDT
Christy says:
Hello, Shelly -- Yes, the other author is Sheila Horgan (the Tea books). I did a little clicking and found that you are Shelly Fredman, who has written the "No Such Thing As" Brandy Alexander mystery series, which takes place in Philadelphia, my home town. I am intrigued and plan to get your first book and try it out. I will let you know how I like it!

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 7:09:58 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
Hi Christy,
Thanks very much for checking out my series! What part of Philly are you from? I grew up at 2nd and Cheltenham but my heart is pure South Philly. I also absolutely love Center City...jeez, I just love the whole city!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
6 Jul 12, 2015
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1860 3 hours ago
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 7366 5 hours ago
seeking Louise Penny-esque semi-cozies w/ depth 41 2 days ago
2015 novel:new trial for prisoner who turns out to be killer 1 24 days ago
Henning Mankell died on Oct. 5 2015 4 27 days ago
looking for a fun new female sleuth mystery novel 327 Oct 27, 2015
Looking for novels set in Florida 253 Oct 27, 2015
Any British mystery books that male protagonist? 0 Oct 26, 2015
Looking for authors/books with no sex or foul language... 130 Oct 16, 2015
Surprise/ Twist Ending Book to wow Bored Reader 209 Oct 13, 2015
british detectives and mysteries 193 Oct 6, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  576
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  May 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions