Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Quirky Protaganists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:50:03 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
What? Are you going for a record in spam-reported posts?

Reported for the FOURTH time!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:55:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:52:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:54:58 AM PST
luv2read says:
Was that (William) Tecumseh (Sherman) Fox, a detective in New York:
Double for Death (1939)
Bad for Business (1940)
The Broken Vase (1941)

It's the only other Rex Stout series listed on www.stopyourekillingme.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:56:15 PM PST
Ann Ketter says:
Rex Stout had another even more oddball series that I wish I could remember about a guy that helped people and had an odd assortment of people in his house.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:51:44 PM PST
Ann Ketter says:
One of my all time favorites. You hit it on the nail

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:48:33 AM PST
Meow says:
Abigail Padgett,Bo Bradley mystery books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:10:15 AM PST
He often went to Rusterman's, his favorite restaurant, he attended various shows and dinners relating to orchids, and he and Archie traveled to his home country of Montenegro.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:15:44 AM PST
Charlie Fox says:
how about Odd Thomas...he's one of my favorites

The Odd Thomas Series 4-Book Bundle: Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Brother Odd, Odd Hours

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:10:58 AM PST
foxglove says:
Cluny
Nero Wolfe did leave his brownstone in numerous books. He did not wish to leave his apartment but he did not stay in it because of intense anxiety as someone with the diagnosis of Agoraphobia would have.

The Rex Stout novels are masterfully written and Nero and Archie have to be about the best crime solving partnership ever. I enjoy them very much also.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:10:44 PM PST
Cluny says:
Nero Wolfe is (if I 'm thinking of the right detective) was one of the original quirky character's. He solved crimes letting his assistant Archie to do all the legwork, never leaving his home (might today be considered agoraphobic)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:27:11 PM PST
booklass says:
Peter May's Lewis trilogy has kind of a loner. I am waiting for the third in that series. I think his Enzo series is supposed to have a rather odd person. Charlotte MacLeod has a whole ship of fools in her series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:34:12 PM PST
Ann Ketter says:
Same problem. I remember a series I enjoyed with a lesbian, bi-polar social worker who loved flannel sheets. Now that's quirky! Just wish I could remember the author or a title name.

The power just came on - Sunday night to Sunday night. The 275 books I had dl and my kindle light are all that have kept me sane. Thanks for the recommendation so I can dl yet more.

Thanks, Ann

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:09:04 PM PST
Susan Solin says:
Another series I liked that was a little quirky was the Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde. The first in the series is The Big Over Easy: A Nursery Crime

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:30:37 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
The problem with having such a large personal library and being TSTL with buying almost any Kindle book that sounds remotely interesting isn't "finding" a book in your library. It is REMEMBERING that you have that book anyway.

Thanks for your Peculiar Crimes posting. I bought the first a long time ago thinking I would get right to it. HAH! Last night and today, I've been wanting something to read and the 3 titles I started just didn't do it for me.

I think this one might be the one!

Here is the whole series - http://www.shelfari.com/series/Peculiar-Crimes-Unit-Mysteries

Thanks again,

DL

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:31:42 PM PST
foxglove says:
Ann,
There are no more oddballs that Arthur Bryant and John May, lead Detectives for The Peculiar Crimes Unit in London England. Christopher Fowler has just published the tenth book in the series. Bryant and May are elderly and brilliant. They are not amusing ,lovable elderly people but they have struggled in life. There is a very well developed supporting case that make up the rest of their unit

These are actually fine traditional mysteries however they are madcap, somewhat bizarre and unpredictable. They are definitely not cozies but they keep me in stitches. I think this is one of the all time best mystery series.

I hope that perhaps someone who can talk about this series more articulately than I have might be able to post with a better description

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:02:43 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Agent Pendergast in Preston/Child books is quirky Relic is the first in the series.

Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 2:45:51 PM PDT
Ann Ketter says:
Any suggestions for mysteries with protaginists that are the odd balls, profilers, those with savant autism, etc.? Mallory of course. Any other ideas?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions