Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Murder Takes a Holiday: Group Read of Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice, Beginning December 15

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 31, 2012 9:55:55 PM PST
Pink Kitty says:
Frosty Pink Snowflakes? ;)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:22:07 AM PST
Pink Christmas Angel, what will you change your profile name to now?

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 9:32:19 AM PST
Pink Kitty says:
I'm so glad everyone enjoyed this book. I read it when it came out & a few times after that. If you do want to keep reading Maine Colonial suggested some great reads. She has many short stories that are placed near or around Spain they are fun reads, too.

Happy New Year & thanks for letting me join.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:36:06 PM PST
Susie says:
Hi Ginger,

I always enjoy hearing about the changes you've been through and how you always find something positive from one experience to the next.

I think one of the benefits of getting older and slowing down a bit is realizing some things aren't as important as we thought they were.

Shopping with your grandson reminds me of the shopping trips Lucy took with Oscar or Sam. Sounds like you and your grandson enjoyed a relaxing time together that otherwise could have been a pain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:22:55 PM PST
Susie says:
Hi Maine,

When I finished WS I assumed it was a series, I was so bummed, it took me a minute to recover. I was bummed again when I couldn't find Shell Seekers or September on Kindle. I wound up ordering Shell Seekers, I didn't notice Coming Home. I was surprised Pilcher wrote so many books.

Do you think Shell Seekers holds up to WS?

I remember you mentioning MISS BUNCLE'S BOOK, I hope it's on Kindle.

I was especially thrilled my brother got into City of Thieves from the start. He's got more time to himself now and started reading, it's been nice sharing thoughts about books with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:04:30 PM PST
Susie says:
Hi Cluny,

Thanks for your suggestions, Karon and Adler are new names to me, I'll check them out.

After fumbling around for a day or two I decided to give Unbroken a chance. My brother's been trying to get me to read it since he finished it. The fact that it's a true story with torture turned me off, I have a high tolerance for fiction, very little for non-fiction but since he's been so insistent I'm pushing myself. I'm not sure how far I'll get.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:56:33 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Mich.,

I've never heard of 'The House on the Strand' but will check it out.

I really did enjoy the British flavor Pilcher did so beautifully. As big a fan as I am of the Nordic's I've always been a sucker for British cozies, I love teatime, fairy cakes, old houses, villages and beautiful gardens.

If there's one thing I'd like to do before I die, it's to take a family trip to England.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:11:59 AM PST
Thanks Maine, I ordered Miss Buncle's Book. Ginger I cooked and planned and had a wonderful Christmas, a simple one and today I want to just lie down and be warm and keep my swollen ankles up. I seem to put out energy for a few days and then there is time to let go and do nothing. So lucky I can do that. Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:58:21 AM PST
Susie, I have no idea what I read after WINTER SOLSTICE the first time I read it, it was so long ago. BUT, I do have an idea of something for you to read that is charming and fun---AND it happens to be on a special Kindle sale today for $2.99:

Miss Buncle's Book

I think I've probably mentioned it before; D. E. Stevenson's MISS BUNCLE'S BOOK. I think you would enjoy it very much. Another short and charming book would be Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Of course, you could always try another Rosamunde Pilcher. My favorites of hers are The Shell Seekers, Coming Home and September

I'm having a hard time settling down to a new read. It might be just as well, since I REALLY need to be cleaning house. It's quite a disaster area around here. So I should throw on some music and get to work.

I'm excited you got your mother and brother to listen to CITY OF THIEVES and they're into it. Now there's another one where you can't get into anything else for awhile after reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:04:16 AM PST
Thanks Cluny. I took a look at 'The Lantern' and it sounds like just my cup of tea. Perhaps I can make this my "L" book.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:51:57 AM PST
Cluny says:
Mich.Reader
Have you read The Lantern . If you liked Du Maurier's REBECCA, you will like this book. Read it over the summer, it was an enjoyably good afternoon or two read.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:48:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:42:39 AM PST
Cluny says:
Susie
More Elizabeth Adler's that took me away were HOUSE IN AMALFI, LAST TIME I SAW PARIS .

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:39:59 AM PST
Cluny says:
Susie
Maybe the Jan Karon Father Tim series? I know, I am having a problem reading my usual stuff at the moment and am looking for something completely different. Just finished listening to The End of Your Life Book Club . Loved it and think that it is a must read/listen to for all bibliophiles. Or try some Elizabeth Adler (but not the Sunny and Mac series which are some of her latest books). Elizabeth Adler in some of her books takes you to the Riviera and you actually feel that you are sitting in sunny Italy or France sipping wine.Invitation to Provence

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:24:12 AM PST
Hi Susie.
Reading 'Winter Solstice' reminded me that it might be interesting to re-visit some other old friends so I just finished Daphne DuMaurier's 'The House on the Strand'. It is a very different type of story from WS and not one where everything necessarily turns out well but also very British in flavor and evocative of another time and place. I enjoyed it as much this time as I did the first.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:47:26 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi All,

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Maine,

Do you remember what you read after you finished Winter Solstice the first time?

I have several samples loaded on my Kindle, read through at least ten and not one appealed to me.

I've gotten lost in books before but never like this. WS is a perfect escape from the anxieties & realities of daily life, it was as close to a vacation I've ever been without leaving my house.

Is there another book with characters as charming and life only gets better? I never read a book that made me feel I was actually in another country, that was an experience in itself.

For those who read WS before, do you remember what you read after it?
Those who read it for the first time, what are you reading now?

BTW, I've been trying to get my mother and brother to listen to City of Thieves for I don't know how long. We had time to listen to the first two cd's yesterday.

My mother's eyes were closed, I thought she was sleeping. She wasn't at all, every few minutes she was reminded of a story her grandfather told her when she was growing up. It was great to see her so animated and interested in something besides Law & Order for a change.

I wasn't sure how my brother would take to it and was anxious for the grandfather to start his story. I didn't need to worry, he took to it immediately and I was glad to see him react to parts like I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:46:53 AM PST
Jacquie, I am with you about wanting to live in England or Scotland in a cottage. I always dive into the English dvd's I watch. But in 1997 we went to England when Pat was working on Mortal Kombat Annihilation and had an apartment. Oh my, it was cold. I used to get into bed to be warm. The lamps were dim, the tub was great, but the shower was just a hand thing that Pat used on his knees in the tub. The water closet was there and no pressure. Our washer took all day to do one load.
I fear it would have been like that in the cottages too, but who knows. It was so damp and I had so many aches and pains. I remember sitting on a wall to recover on a walk one time. So perhaps it is best to remain in my imagination. But on the other side, I bet enough fireplaces could keep it very warm. Merry Christmas. Love Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:41:58 AM PST
Susie, I am understanding Elfrida's life. She keeps it simple and doesn't make problems for herself.
She just goes with what life hands her and has a wonderful time. I am realizing how that works. Yesterday
I went grocery shopping with my grandson. Hard to believe but it was so easy, not too crowded and he helped me find things, brought the groceries in and then even
put the cold things in the fridge. As we were driving home I realized how I used to be addicted to creating problems so I could have an adrenaline rush and then have the energy to accomplish what ever needed to be done. Now at my age, and probably at Elfrida's age, there is no need for that. We can find the energy and go with the situations as they come up. So much better. And then at the end of the day, last night, when I had made French onion soup for the four of us here, I was really tired. And once again I realized at 78 and a half I should be tired. This funny thing inside doesn't recognize the years that have passed and thinks I should be able to keep up with the younger crowd Not necessary, I have to remind myself. So I hope everyone here can keep a simple peaceful pace through the holidays filled with love and fun and laughter. Love Ginger

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:05:45 AM PST
Cluny says:
Susie
The British Isles are a must....however do not over glamourize......lived there and other places in Europe while sowing some wild oats in my early twenties.....central heating wasn't always available or that great, just as in Spain, central air isn't always found despite the summer heat.
To Pilcher, love and acceptance are fundamental. We do not choose who we love, even when it is not the wisest choice, people often head toward the clift.

Merry Xmas Eve to all.....off to first eat Polish food, then later in the night for Mexican food with hopefully a doggie bag of homemade tamales for breakfast tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:27:29 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Kathy,

I found Elfrida's goodness perfectly believable. Her life is pretty simple when she's introduced, and by nature she's a fun loving person.

I think it's hard when we're attached to family and have so many depending on us for one thing or another, taking on another person's troubles does seem unbelievable.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:24:59 AM PST
Hi Susie and Jacquie, and Merry Christmas (Eve),

This book is so domestic, with its descriptions of houses, furniture, building fires, shopping for groceries and Christmas presents, and even making toast! You know they say that women like mysteries because things are (usually, at least) put to rights in the book. Not sure if that's really correct, but I do think there's something comforting about the domesticity in Winter Solstice. It makes you feel that you can have a warmth and happiness without needing a lot of material things---but just enough to enjoy the shopping and putting everything in just the right spot or having it perfectly fill a need.

I just looked and Christmas Day in Creagan will be showery with a high of 44 degrees. Sunrise 8:56am and sunset 3:47pm. Hmm. No matter how great Rosamunde Pilcher makes Creagan sound, I think I'd prefer not to visit in the winter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:23:59 AM PST
Susie says:
Ginger,

So true about Elfrida and Oscar being kindred souls from the time they met.

Pilcher made that obvious in such a sweet way, one was their time spent walking through the garden when they first met, another was when she spotted a painting she was sure Oscar would appreciate but knew the gesture would be scorned by Gloria.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:20:49 AM PST
Susie says:
Nancy, Maine,

About Oscar and Elfrida sleeping together, meaning having sex, was something I was curious about.

It's good to know people want to be close after experiencing many ups and downs we push through over the years.

I never thought of myself as being prudish, but my interests have changed over the years. I'll just leave it at that, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:16:13 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Mich.,

'I agree that the book is a celebration of simplicity. The lack of materialism as a virtue is a running theme throughout. The characters that one can truly care about are holding on to only that which is useful or truly beautiful to them and letting go of all else. Also one thing they all cherish is their relationship to eachother and that holds especially true to their relationships with children. The children are presented as important, fully rounded characters and not passed lightly over.'

Those are my thoughts too but never could have put them into words as well as you did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:12:47 AM PST
Susie says:
Maine,

'Well, what did everybody think of the book?'

I never would have chosen to read Winter Solstice on my own or would have considered picking it up because someone recommended it.

I've always enjoyed your opinions about books and always wondered what it would be like to be in on your book discussions.

'Another thing that always strikes me about the book is that Rosamunde Pilcher seems to have a very different attitude toward marriage from her attitude toward children. She doesn't condemn people for unfaithfulness or failed marriages, but it's a very big sin to be a bad parent.'

You didn't disappoint. I wondered what could possibly be said about a book seemingly so simple.

The British have always struck me as being so proper and stuffy (with the exception of knowing Joana).

Pilcher passes no judgement on Carrie's relationship with a married man or Elfrida and Oscar's relationship. Before Gloria died Elfrida did have passing thoughts about Oscar but that's as far as it went.

I thought their being together was the most natural thing to happen. I like how easily they became intimate with each other, that Elfrida put her friendship above all else that there wasn't a second thought to sharing a bed with each other.

Lucy is a most intuitive and mature 14 year old girl. I like that she doesn't follow in her mother's or grandmother's shallow footsteps, that she's so filled and content with 'real' people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:47:16 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Susie and all

I felt like Susie in that I really felt like I was "present" in this story. Pilcher has a wonderful way of doing that in all of her books. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I would like to live in a little house in a small town in England or Scotland. One of those cozy little homes with low ceilings and lots of nooks and crannies and a fire in the fireplace and books everywhere.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions