Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

new to mysteries

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 11:18:18 AM PST
Bill says:
Hello all.

I am new to the mystery genre and admittedly know very little about it. I usually read classic fiction, fantasy, or "literary" fiction, but am looking to put together a mystery reading list. I do not have the stamina to start with a long series but want standalone or short series (no more than 3 books). Also, I do not know what types of novels are included in this genre but I do know that cozy mysteries might not be a good fit. All that to say please recommend a good starting point.

Thanks, Bill

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:51:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:53:14 AM PST
Cluny says:
My current favorite read of recent months (if you don 't mind some graphic scenes) and like police procedual investigation type books was The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)
Other book of quality which takes place in pre Wwii Berlin that I liked immensely was March Violets: A Bernie Gunther Novel .Also excellent "Ghosts of Belfast " Collusion/Ghosts of Belfast Bundle (Detective Jack Lennon) (best buy as bundle) . John Connolly (high body count ---- Every Dead Thing ) is another personal favorite. Check out for suggestions on excellent european authors of non cozy mysteries : http://www.amazon.com/forum/mystery/ref=cm_cd_et_jump?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2M2KAK12HD871&cdPage=362&cdThread=Tx2WE2F9PF0N4A6#CustomerDiscussionsLPIT

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:49:15 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 19, 2012 1:33:20 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:14:15 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who . . . 3 brilliant mysteries, a trilogy only because he died before he finished the fourth. Read the 3 and you will adjust to wishing he had written a fourth and fifth. Just about all the really good writing today is in series format. By limiting yourself you are missing out on Carol O'Connell, Dana Stabenow, Robert Crais, and a host of others. If you like lyrical writing, truly poetic at time, then try the David Robicheaux (sp) by James Lee Burke. You can speed read these books but you miss some of the best writing that there is in the mystery genre today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:25:04 PM PST
This is a series but the writing is beyond excellent, Louise penney's Inspector Gamache/Three Pines series. The first book is Still Life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:19:44 PM PST
Holly says:
I have to agree with this recommendation. There are about 7 or 8 books in the series so you aren't looking at a huge number (some series have 30+ books). If you like literary fiction, these might be a very good fit. I absolutely love them. Here is the link to the first one: Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:39:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:22:59 PM PST
Cluny says:
(Deleted mention here of spam /sock puppet book). You can 't go wrong with any of the other suggestions made in addition to those that I initially posted . They are excellent. I will say Steig Larsson series should be read in order as the Louise Penny book series.

EDITTED to delete mention of spammed title

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:18:23 PM PST
Holly says:
I haven't read this, but lots of people I trust have praised it as an outstanding book. It is a stand-alone:

The Judas Child by Carol O'Connell

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:42:13 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
I am back again-to offer a little counseling--I started reading for pleasure, for escape from a fairly dire situation (I hid from a gang that wanted to beat me up--in the library). For the longest time I wouldn't read: Series books. Books written by women (what did they know?) Science Fiction. Biographies. Little by little, and usually from necessity (I read then and now do read, a LOT of books). I promise you that every bias you have about series you will rid yourself of by reading any of the above. Louise Penny is also very lyrical, just as stated above. The anticipation, waiting for her next book, or for the next book by any of the authors listed above, is very similar in adult readers, as the anticipation of opening presents on Christmas Eve is to young children (and old children too!). Just like at Christmas, sometimes you get a gift, say a package of underwear when what you really wanted was a Red Ryder BB gun, sometimes the book isn't everything you hoped for. That will happen with your favorite writer of a series too--and if it happens twice I will quit reading them (well, if I get desperate I will give them a 3rd chance). For me that was David Weber "Honor Harrington" series. Loved the first 7 or 8 or 10, but then Mr. Weber just got too slow, too wordy, too boring for me. That will happen--but hey, I got immense pleasure reading those 7,8 or 10 books--plus some really neat short stories in the series. I am mildly upset, feel a little let down--but I read a LOT of series and am always looking for another good writer to take Mr. Webers place. Give up your bias, there are some excellent books written in series form. As a final recommendation, if you like lots of action, a story that MOOvvves, try Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" novels, and as always, read in order.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:58:17 AM PST
Without knowing more about your tastes it's impossible to make specific recommendtions but here's a terrific list of some of the best mystery writers and books: http://www.amazon.com/The-BEST-Mysteries-2011/lm/R2S7NLE5OLHS84/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrssi0

Start almost anywhere on the list and pick one that sounds interesting to you. You won't be disappointed.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:59:26 AM PST
Bill says:
Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations. I just now had time to check the forum and will go through these books today. I am reconsidering my decision about series especially since y'all say those are the best novels.
Thanks again.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:57:55 AM PST
Bkworm Bren says:
I highly recommend all books by Michael Connelly and Sue Grafton.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions