Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Im in need of some new authors to read Please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2008 7:14:49 PM PDT
I don't frequent these forums too often, but I saw a couple of my favorite authors mentioned. Yes i love Janet Evanovich. her plum series is tops. Also for new authors. I have also read Bill Clem. His books are super fast fun reads as the other readers have indicated. The chapters are short and snappy and have lots of cliffhangers. Also I like Grisham. Patterson, and Tess Gerristen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2008 7:25:33 PM PDT
A Listener says:
Lighthearted Mysteries:
1. "Them Bones," - Carolyn Haines. Funny, interesting, different story, and appealing protagonist. Gives a sympathetic view of upper middle class Mississippi Delta life.
2. Peter Bowen's books, such as "Coyote Wind," featuring Gabriel Du Pre, a Montana brand inspector; a fiddle playing, part Metis Indian who solves crimes while trying to cope with the women in his life. Good stories with a different, interesting, well-drawn detective, which are funny while seriously attending to business.
3. Lawrence Sanders' books featuring Archie McNally, such as "McNally's Caper." They are set in Palm Beach, with shades of the Breakers and Worth Avenue. They are lighthearted detective stories about n'er-do-wells amid the Palm Beach upper crust. It is hard to believe that Sanders wrote them. He appears to have been inspired by P.G. Wodehouse. (In fact, after Sanders expired, the latest books in the series were written by another.)
4. "Hardscrabble Road," - Jane Haddam. Not Evanovich style, but with some humor in the potshots the author takes at sacred cows and stuffed shirts, from academia to politics to religion, while having her detective solve the murder of a radio talk show host.
5. "Tourist Season,"- Carl Hiaasen. Hiaasen is a very funny, very angry author. His anger at the desecration of Florida by greedy politicians, developers, and "progress' is a second line to the main stories in his books, but even that is often stated in a funny way, showing his talent as a writer and storyteller. All of his books are recommended.
6. The "Spenser" novels by Robert B. Parker, recommended above. They are usually witty, with well drawn stories. Some have too much psycho-babble between Spenser and his psychologist girl friend for my taste, and a few aren't that good period, but the average is high. Start with the first, "The Godwulf Manuscript." Avoid "Hundred Dollar Baby."
7. Someone above recommended Michael Connelly's books. His Harry Bosch novels are far from lighthearted. If you want the darker side, try James Lee Burke's novels featuring Dave Robicheaux, set in New Orleans. Burke's writing is better than that in a lot of what passes for serious literature. "A Morning For Flamingoes" has more substance than most detective stories. There are, however, some funny one-liners between Robicheaux and his friend, Clete.
8. If you are willing to branch out, try John P. Marquand's books featuring Mr. Moto, a Japanese intelligence agent. The books were written , and are set, in the mid-to-late 1930's, and always have an American young man and young woman becoming entangled in international intrigue in Asia, aided and abetted by the enigmatic, crafty, and dangerous Mr. Moto. The stories are entertaining time windows on that period with portents of storms and disasters ahead when war involving Japan and Korea, Manchuria and China was already in progress, and clearly coming in Europe. These stories let you press your nose against the window pane and peer in at engaging young people getting sucked into the gears, and then escaping, on the basis of their own pluck, coming through in the clutch, and help from Mr. Moto. Marquand was a serious novelist, who wrote these lightweight entertainments for whatever reason, most likely money. A number of movies were made of Mr. Moto stories, starring Peter Lorre.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2008 8:48:30 PM PDT
I would also recommend Robert Crais' "Elvis Cole" series, about a super-cool (but nice guy at heart) private detective working in and around Los Angeles, CA. Great plots: I find the books nearly un-put-downable, and they are fun, fast reads (a bit suspenseful in places, to near-scary, but only in a good way).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 8:08:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2008 8:09:58 AM PDT
May I suggest my novel, The Poetry of Murder? It is a murder mystery about aspiring poet, Geneva Anderson. After her aunt, Victoria Franklin, the director of the International House of Chicago, is murdered, Geneva's life is unraveled by a mysterious inheritance and a murder charge.

Set against the backdrop of a university campus in Chicago where cultural exchange, scholarship and the arts are celebrated, The Poetry of Murder, takes readers through a labyrinth of revenge, deceit, and blackmail.

To learn more, visit http://www.bernadettesteele.net

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 2:39:15 PM PDT
A light hearted mystery is In the Arms of the Enemy by by Patricia Guthrey.
(I am the author of Kingmaker, an espionage thriller)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 3:34:02 PM PDT
J. K. Barnes says:
Kimberly,

I think you would enjoy reading my book The Adventures of Mom: A Natalie Quill mystery if you like the Stephanie Plum series. It is definitely light-hearted and was reviewed as "laugh-out-loud funny!"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 10:47:45 AM PDT
Deborah V says:
You might like the Nancy Martin Blackbird Sisters series. They are a little heavier than Evanovich, contain humor, some romance and of course mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 9:38:50 PM PDT
Hi Kimberly,
Evanovich is funny. I discovered a new author: Michael P. Naughton and the book is called Deathryde: Rebel Without a Corpse. He reminds me of Tim Cockey ( also recommend ).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 10:09:54 AM PDT
You might try "Murder By Prosxy" by Robert L. Hecker. It recently won the EPPIE for best mystery/thriller. Good characters. Lots of sharp dialogue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 5:21:32 PM PDT
Patricia Sprinkle - Who Invited the Dead Man? etc
Carola Dunn - Death at Wentwater Court etc
Tamar Meyer - anything she writes
Dorothy Cannell - everything
Arlene Sachitano - Quilt As Desired (OK, this one is mine)
Arlene

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 5:27:57 PM PDT
Try Robert Parker his first series (and still going) is Spenser, he also started two other series but the Spensers are the best. Nice easy read.
You could also try Dick Francis, his novels are set in England and all have to do with horses in some way. I usually do not read English stuff but he is very easy to read and more American than English.
Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 10:21:06 PM PDT
C. Ryan says:
if i may suggest -
try this website for Mystery Lovers . . .
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

It has several great indexes . . . . Know the character but not the author? They have a character index. Want a "read-alike"? They have it. Read everything an author writes and want to make a list? They've got titles, publishing dates even when the next in a series will be out.

Try it -- you will definitely bookmark this site and return again and again.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 1:48:28 AM PDT
E. Sunyak says:
try some Carla Cassidy
ann

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 6:36:27 AM PDT
Frank Nappi, Paula Uruburu, Ron Ross are all excellent new authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 2:59:51 PM PDT
A Listener says:
Try "Murder At The Cheatin' Heart Motel", by Art Bourgeau. Pretty neat, and what's not to like about a main character named Snake Garlin?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 5:47:21 PM PDT
I also liked JA Konrath--some kinda brutal but really like the characters. Also, I recently read Michelle Perry "Paint it Black" and really liked it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 5:49:49 PM PDT
My favorite!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 2:20:09 PM PDT
GeeJay says:
Kimberly
I can only say this is my list too! I think you'll find some winners in this group.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 7:40:44 PM PDT
S. McLuggage says:
Kimberly -- If you like lighthearted mystery books, try this: Perfectly Healthy Man Drops Dead, by Bruce Hartman. It's funny and noir at the same time, along the lines of Lawrence Block.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 8:24:20 PM PDT
M. Bland says:
Dorothy Gilman - Mrs. Polifax series. About a 60ish woman that wants to become a spy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 5:19:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008 5:20:12 PM PDT
anna klein says:
hello foxglove, thank you so much for recommending van de wetering. i am devouring his de gier and grijpstra series. i adore the goodness in these detectives. they are fun and funny also. i have found this goodness, in the series written by peter turnbull, featuring chief inspector george hennessey and detective sergeant yellich.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 5:35:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008 5:38:32 PM PDT
RENO says:
Thought I would throw my hat in the ring. RUN by Reno Ford, is out for a few much needed updates at this point in time but will be back on the market soon. It actually sells for $14.99 if you are interested but some really strange people are trying to sell it for $131 and up. Go figure! Reno

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 6:09:51 PM PDT
foxglove says:
Anna

I was delighted to get your post. I am so glad that you like van de wetering. I love all of the same things that you do in his mysteries but that ends now.

I am really excited about the Turnbull and am going to Get some ASAP. I have never heard of him before.

It really is kind of you to let me know. I think that I just found another author that is right up our alley. I just finished a book called"The Coroner's Lunch" The author is Colin Cotterill. There are four books out already with a fifth coming out in August. The detective is a doctor who is 72 years of age and he is impressed into becoming the Coroner of the entire country of Laos after the Communists take over in the 1970s. The book is not really possible to describe because every time you try you will realize that it isn't really what happens at all.

Far from being bleak,there is warmth and kindness,as well as integrity. Almost all of the characters are treated with dignity, including the dead. The book is extremely funny. There are other elements that I can't translate into words.

This book has simply stolen my heart, I have just purchased the next one and am waiting for it to arrive

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 4:07:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2008 4:11:03 AM PDT
foxglove says:
Reno's post refers to something that I can't figure out . That is, why strange people put items in Amazon for $131 when a brand new book new book by Reno sells for 14.99. Now, there must be even stranger people who do want to buy the books for the crazy prices.

Is there anybody out there that know what this is all about?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 7:49:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2010 7:24:09 AM PST
ANN SELF says:
Hi Dinah! Somewhere on these posts I got a tip on a great detective/thriller series set in the Lake Tahoe area. TAHOE DEATHFALL by Todd Borg was an incredible find, I am now buying all the rest in the Owen McKenna series. Mckenna has a sidekick, a Great Dane named "Spot" who is hilarious. The action is non-stop, and Borg makes great use of the spectacular setting. I also have a mystery series starting with Something Most Deadly and SOMETHING VERY GHOSTLY and SOMETHING MOST EVIL out in 2011. Theses are spooky mysteries set on a lavish, nineteenth-century estate in New England, with a light, gentle romance weaving through all three books. Something Very Ghostly
Tahoe Deathfall (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  727
Total posts:  1243
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 65 customers

Search Customer Discussions