Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

What's your favorite all-time favorite mystery book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 508 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2009 8:44:43 PM PDT
Carl L. says:
Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar is a great favorite of mine. Also, add me to the Daughter of Time fans.
Another favorite is The Burning Court, by John Dickson Carr. It has an impossible murder and twists back and forth between supernatural and natural explanations. John Dickson Carr (who also wrote under the name Carter Dickson) was a Golden Age master of the locked room murder.

Posted on Aug 10, 2009 8:28:47 PM PDT
Do you have to pick one:

The Wench is Dead - Colin Dexter
The entire Lovejoy series - Jonathan Gash
Why Mermaids Sing -C. S. Harris
All of Cadfael - Ellis Peters
Pictures of Perfection & On Beulah Heights - Reginald HIll

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 6:33:57 AM PDT
S. Gallagher says:
Have you tried Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh?

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 8:17:23 AM PDT
I also cannot pick just one, but I most often re-read
- the set of Strong Poison. Have His Carcase & Gaudy Night by Sayers,
- Daughter of Time, Tey
- Proof, Whip Hand, To The Hilt, Francis
and I have a strong affection for Christie's Murder of Roger Ackroyd & Murder on the Orient Express

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 9:40:15 PM PDT
Single favorite? Impossible for me. It all began for me with the complete Sherlock Holmes, (Doubleday) intro by Christopher Morley, the bait. A book-of-the-month selection for one dollar! My wife then handed me Willkie Collins' Woman in White, the hook; I am still sinking.

Michael Connolly's first two books, Black Echo and Black Ice. I don't think he's ever topped them.

Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder series, without peer.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 11:34:18 PM PDT
K. Therese says:
Very hard to choose one book. Below are my 5 favorites

1. Lawrence Block's entire Matt Scudder series - (hard-boiled PI)
especially WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES, and DANCE AT THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE

2. James Ellroy's LA QUARTET (Hard-boiled crime)

3. James Crumley's THE LAST GOOD KISS (Hard-boiled PI)

4. Fredrich Durrenmatt' s THE PLEDGE (sort of an existential narrative) Short and brillant

5. Raymond Chandler's THE LONG GOODBYE - THE BIG SLEEP - FAREWELL, MY LOVELY

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:31:43 AM PDT
T.L. Gray says:
Upon A Crazy Horse I loved it, and it was definately not what I expected.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 3:23:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 3:25:18 PM PDT
Susie says:
Hi K. Therese,

People rave about the Max Scudder series, I'm going to add it my tbr pile.

You might be interested in noirjournal.typepad, it's hosted by Mike and I've gotten some great recommendations there. The blog focuses on Hard-boiled and Noir.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 4:20:14 PM PDT
Haven't heard of this one and I thought I knew them all. Who wrote this and what is it about. I have a Kindle and get it in one minute so let me know what I can enjoy over the weekend. Thanks for writing and good reading.

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 1:32:01 PM PDT
I am amazed no one mentioned Helen MacInnes, her books are divine! I have reread several of them several times but my favorite is Ride A Pale Horse. I also love Trevanian's Eye of the Needle. As a child I devoured all the Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, The Happy Hollisters, The Hardy Boys and anything else I could get my hands on at the library. Of course I read Cherry Ames and Trixie and the others mentioned on here. Another favorite is Lie Down With Lions by Ken Follet. A new favorite is Stieg Larson's trio. Just finishing the 3rd of those. I couldn't possibly name one favorite either!

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 1:42:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:44:22 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010 4:37:03 PM PDT
Pat says:
A Sad Song Singing, by Thomas B. Dewey-hard-boiled detective Mac--a bit dated culturally, but good

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 4:42:48 PM PDT
Lauri says:
Thin dark line... Tami Hoag

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 5:05:36 PM PDT
This is really hard.... I guess I'll go withRest You Merry (Peter Shandy Mysteries).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010 5:40:26 PM PDT
NanookMN says:
Anyone with Rebecca as numero uno must have a list I'd like to have.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010 5:56:55 PM PDT
NanookMN says:
Your list is marvelous. Cannot limit myself to one, either. I just wrote a review of Daughter of Time, hoping people will read it. It's in a class by itself. The oldies remain goodies, but there are some fine modern writers, too. James Lee Burke comes to mind.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 2:19:30 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
I saw a Durrenmatt's The Visit with Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne in San Francisco in l959--the first "big" play I had ever seen. (OK, it's not a massive production--not much in the way of set, with sound substituting for it--but the Lunts were pretty famous, and goodness knows I was impressed. There's a claustrophobic moment at the end that chilled me--still does)

The university theatre did it a few years later, with local actors. Also excellent. I was the sound person. Something like 140 sound cues. Done live, every night. A few things were on tape, more were live, hitting circular saw blades with a drumstick, for instance. The production still affected me, through rehearsals and every performance.

So I did have to order THE PLEDGE.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 3:51:13 PM PDT
Hi. I'm surprised no one has mentioned P.D. James.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 7:13:33 PM PDT
Salamander says:
Too many favorite mysteries to mention. However, I have to thank the Nancy Drew series and Agatha Christie for piquing my interest in the genre as a child. They also helped me develop a love of reading. I would still rather read a good book than watch a movie.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 9:09:35 PM PDT
SandyCB says:
One favorite can't be done, but my favorites include:

1, Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron. I love the whole series, but this first book stands out. It's the To Kill a Mockingbird of mysteries.
2. Sharyn McCrumb's books based on folk songs, with Rosewood Casket one of the best.
3. Deborah Crombie -- my husband refused to let me name our daughter Gemma, but I wanted to.
4. Faye Kellerman's The Ritual Bath. I love books with a sense of place. This one had that, plus a fascinating insight to a new (to me) culture. Her other books are good, too, and I'm also fond of the Alex Delaware books written by her husband. (I find Alex a pain, though, and prefer Milo.)
5. Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books. All but the latest were good to great reads.
6. Robert Crais' series with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. Most of this series is excellent. L.A. Requiem and The Monkey's Raincoat are among the best.
7. S.J. Rozan's series with Bill Smith and Lydia Chin. Great reads, although they make me crave Chinese food.
8. J.A. Jance - I started with her Joanna Brady series. I liked it, and a friend told me her J.P. Beaumont series was even better. She didn't lie. Until Proven Guilty is one of my favorites.
9. I recently discovered Louise Penny's series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. This is the Northern Exposure of mysteries.
10. P.D. James, of course. Her Adam Dalgliesh mysteries are favorites.
11. Elizabeth Peters is great. I like the Amelia Peabody series, but I have a special fondness for her Jaqueline Kirby books. Two favorites are Die for Love and Naked Once More (one of the best titles ever, IMO).

Happy Reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 1:45:16 PM PDT
I think I am the one that started this post and for ages I kept an alphabetized file of everyone's favorite. I offered to send whoever wanted one a copy but no one ever did so I quit keeping it. I, too, love Tami H. but haven't seen anything new from her for awhile. I anxiously awaited her new books after I read all of them. I now really like Karen Slaughter and Kate White and Allison Brennan - among too many others to put in this post. Good luck and God bless.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 2:32:01 PM PDT
F15 Eagle says:
I love anything written by Dame Agatha Christie. Love her, love her, love her!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 2:38:03 PM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Will o' the Wisp,

How are you? I remember you and the awesome list you put together, I took you up on your offer and you sent it to me.

Do you still have it? Have you been updating it?

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 3:38:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2010 3:59:41 PM PDT
penguinnj says:
Great topic- and I have gotten some great ideas. My top 3:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd- Christie. The queen of the genre.
The Thin Man- Hammett. No better Noir and Nick and Nora Charles have been imitated so much, it is fun to see the original pair.
Rebecca- Dumaurier. Classic and still one I read every year or so.

I have read all of the Michaels and Peters books. Favorite Barbara Michaels has to be Houses of Stone- a modern gothic novel in which classic gothic novels are a key plot point. The Elizabeth Peters novels are also excellent- I love all of the Peabody/Kirby/Bliss series books and my favorite non-series is The Love Talker. I also recently read Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher series and I highly recommend for period mysteries- they are set in 1920s Australia and are terrific- the best find I have made in decades.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 1:08:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 29, 2011 10:10:42 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  266
Total posts:  508
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 59 customers

Search Customer Discussions