Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Murder Takes a Holiday: Group Read of Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice, Beginning December 15

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 3:30:23 PM PST
A few of the normally bloodthirsty readers in the Mystery Community discovered recently that we share a fondness for Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice, and we decided we would like to do a group read around the winter holidays.

Rosamunde Pilcher is best known for her family saga, The Shell Seekers. Winter Solstice is her last novel, published in 2000, when she retired from her over 50-year-long writing career.

Here is a description of the book:

"Elfrida Phipps, once of London's stage, moved to the English village of Dibton in hopes of making a new life for herself. Gradually, she settled into the comfortable familiarity of village life--shopkeepers knowing her tastes, neighbors calling her by name. Still, she finds herself lonely.

Oscar Blundell gave up his life as a musician to marry Gloria. They have a beautiful daughter, Francesca, and it is only because of their little girl that Oscar views the sacrifice of his career as worthwhile.

Carrie returns from Austria at the end of an ill-fated affair with a married man to find her mother and sister sharing a home and squabbling endlessly. With Christmas approaching, Carrie agrees to look after her sister's awkward and quiet teenage daughter, Lucy, so that her sister might enjoy a romantic fling in America.

Sam Howard is trying to pull his life back together after his wife has left him for another. He is without home and without roots; all he has is his job. Business takes him to northern Scotland, where he falls in love with the lush, craggy landscape and set his sights on a house.

It is the strange rippling effects of a tragedy that will bring these five characters together in a large, neglected estate house near the Scottish fishing town of Creagan.

It is here, on the shortest day of the year, that the lives of five people will come together and be forever changed. Rosamunde Pilcher's long-awaited return to the page will warm the hearts of readers both old and new.Winter Solstice is a novel of love, loyalty and rebirth."

Winter Solstice can be purchased new in mass market paperback, audio and ebook forms. It should be also be available from your local library, and inexpensive used hardcover and paperback copies of the book are widely available.

Please join us, starting on December 15, for a discussion of this story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:04:24 PM PST
Can't wait, just waiting for the book to arrive. I think my other must be buried in the plastic boxes in the garage. My daughter cleans out my shelves from time to time. I save the books for when I forget and can reread them all again without having to buy them. Be with you on the fifteenth. Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:47:20 AM PST
Susie says:
Hi Maine,

It sounds like a beautiful book, I'm looking forward to reading and joining in the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:56:43 PM PST
Nancy says:
I no longer have my copy but will be picking one up at the library Monday.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:30:39 PM PST
It's starting to look like we'll have a good group for the read. I'm really looking forward to it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:41:58 PM PST
Cluny says:
Maine
Read first two pages and fell in love. Her dog other than color sounds alot like my little furman. Look forward to discussing .

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:21:24 PM PST
I'm listening on audio. Mrs Blundell voice is fantastic!
Kathy

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:53:06 PM PST
Pink Kitty says:
It's a great book & after you finish if you still have energy left...
Coming Home was wonderful. Sorry I am a real fan of
Rosamunde. Enjoy you're all in for a real treat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:24:19 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Pink Christmas Angel

It is a great book isn't it? When I discovered Shell Seekers several years ago, I went on and read everything RP had written. I'll have to check Coming Home again. It may be time for a reread of some of her books. I've reread SS and Winter Solstice more than once and even though the story is so familiar to me, reading WS is pure pleasure.

Hope you are going to join our discussion Pink

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:26:28 AM PST
Jacquie says:
Pink

Your kitty is beautiful. I see in your profile you sew complicated items. Kathy who posted above is a quilt expert - books - classes etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:49:14 AM PST
Hi Jacquie, is Pink Christmas Angel a book of PIlchers. I looked it up and couldn't find it. Ginger?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:51:44 PM PST
Cluny says:
Ginger
Pink Christmas Angel is the poster who is Pink something else when it is not Xmas time. She was recommending Coming Home

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:51:35 PM PST
Pink Kitty says:
Sorry I confused you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:53:34 PM PST
Pink Kitty says:
Gabrielle says ty for saying she's pretty. She is a sweet kitty.
Wow I can make basic quilts...you have to have serious talent
to tackle the larger ones. I enjoy making complicated dresses
for special occassions. The planning is what is fun, but the
finished product is fun, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:12:19 PM PST
Oh Cluny, that's so funny. I thought she was a book. I am happy she recommended it. In fact I found my Rosamund Pilcher and I didn't have Coming Home. Or Winter Solstice. So glad I ordered it. Ginger

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:16:12 PM PST
Pink,
I used to sew garments but quit when I could no longer find nice fabric. Where do you shop?
Kathy

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:04:55 AM PST
Hi, Maine and all,

I started my re-read of WS yesterday. It's amazing how this book draws me in, even after having read it twice (or maybe three times?). Wonderful, wonderful characterizations.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:38:22 AM PST
Dolores, I'm so glad you'll be joining us. I was feeling under the weather last night and went to bed early with the book. It was so nice to settle in with those old friends.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:01:30 AM PST
Cluny says:
Maine
Hope you feel better soon....do not know about your part of the country but this crazy weather in Chicago keeps me feeling wonky. Sick for Thanksgiving and today starting to feel a cold or something coming on again. December 3rd and it 's almost seventy in Chicago today. Temps have been all over the place, changing forty degrees in a matter of hours. Feel better soon!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:01:24 PM PST
Thanks, Cluny. I've had two bad colds already this season and it's not even technically winter yet. Very annoying, especially since I don't usually get many colds. This latest one is starting its third week. Sorry to hear you were sick for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, we've been having pretty goofy weather here too. It was really cold last week, but it got to 50 today and is supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. Well, at least my dog Penny is enjoying it. We had a dusting of snow a few days ago and she loves that, but today she was running around like crazy and enjoying lying in the sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:17:52 PM PST
Cluny, Maine and all So sorry you are getting sick. My answer is to take Eucinicia and lots of C every hour when I feel it coming on. But I know this time of year we eat more sweets and junk and so our immune systems suffers. Get some vitamins to build you up. I know here I talk, and I don't go many places so I don't even get in the area of ill people. But none of my family seem to get colds or flu. And when my daughter did think she had the flu, she got some allergy pills and realized it was that, not the flu. I did that too. So here is too good health for you all so you can enjoy. Ginger DA DA DA

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 1:26:26 PM PST
Nancy says:
Hi All,
I now have a copy of Winter Solstice and have begun reading. Looking forward to
our discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 2:02:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 2:03:30 PM PST
Annie M. says:
Hi everyone,
I also got my copy of Winter Solstice and have started it. I think it is going to be a lovely tale. I will be looking forward to all of your opinions.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:10:36 PM PST
Hi everyone!
I just finished the audio of WINTER SOLSTICE. It was read by Lynne Redgrave. Lovely story.
Kathy

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:36:17 AM PST
Still waiting for mine to be delivered, but I will read it quickly when it comes. Wonder why it's taking so long. Darn. Ginger
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions