Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Original 'Mystery' or 'Sensational' Novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 10:17:12 PM PST
Would anyone be interested in starting a 'thread' about authors of what were known as 'sensational' novels. These authors' works are the prototypes to modern mystery novels. A few authors to mention are: Wilkie Collins; Anna Katherine Green; Mary Roberts Rinehart; Mary Elizabeth Braddon; and, of course, Sherlock Holmes -all of whom wrote during the 'Victorian' period; yet, whose works are amazingly easy to read. All, or most, of the works of these authors are available 'free' to download on 'Kindle.' If anyone enjoys reading these mysteries, I would love to discuss them with you.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 11:45:54 AM PDT
Miss M says:
Hi Stacie,

I saw your post a while back, sorry no one has picked up on the topic.
It's been many years since I read any of these (except Rinehart's Circular Staircase which I recently finished & thought interesting but don't think I could read much of her work in succession) so I really wouldn't have much to discuss. I did download a lot of the classic versions when I first got the kindle but as with so many, they're still in the unread stack...

Just wanted to mention, if you haven't already discovered, there are a lot of people uploading (Victorian) classics at mobilereads.com - seems like a labor of love to many, maybe they would be interested in discussion?
In particular, this thread for R. Austin Freeman's Dr Thorndyke's novels has me intrigued - just don't know when I'll get to it.
Maybe you can find some discussion there or at librarything.com where there are also interesting discussion groups.

Anyway, great topic - sorry to ramble, sorry can't contribute more, maybe this "bump" will help find an audience...

Dr Thorndyke thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75389

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 9:33:14 PM PDT
insanity! says:
Hi Stacie!

I just finished Rineharts The Circular Staircase. This is the first book from her that I read and thought it was brilliant. It flowed so easily for me and kept me guessing for a better part of the book. I downloaded a complete list of her works and decided to read them in order of publication. Right now I'm reading The Man in Lower Ten.

I have tried so many times to read Sherlock Holmes and never get very far. I'm probably in the minority, but I just can't seem to keep an interest in them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions