Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery of the Month for 1st Sept 2012. STILL LIFE by Louise Penny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 175 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 17, 2012 11:59:11 AM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Proudly presents this months selection. Group discussion starting from 1st SEPT 2012

The Co Hosts for this month are Condorena & Reed.

Anyone is welcome to join in. So rush out to the library and borrow it, or buy it from Amazon, or down load the audio version from Audible.

Our last Group book Discussion was very successful and we had a lot of fun. So come and join in!!!!!

Authors are welcome to join in the condition they do not talk at all about their own book.

We are here to talk about STILL LIFE only.

No promotion of another thread or blogg is welcome. We are a branch of Barb's Books & Chat. We are here to discuss the agreed book, any other chat should move to Barb's Books & Chat (as long as it follows the guidelines)

Barb Down Under

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 12:21:38 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Just finished it a week or so ago. Loved it! Bought the whole series based on that book.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 7:43:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2012 7:52:43 PM PDT
I just finished 'Still Life' 2 days ago and am dying to dig into the rest.

I'm already on pins and needles, just waiting to get my hands on the 8th book, soon to be released this month; and to think, I haven't even finished book 2 let alone the next 4 novels. Louise Penny's mystery novels are really a cut above the norm. I'm so happy I was introduced to this.

Currently listening to the audio rendition by Ralph Cosham. It's spectacular!

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:18:38 AM PDT
Reed says:
Can someone help me with a visual definition of "village"?
The Kindle English and American English Oxford Dictionaries define a village as a group of houses and buildings larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town --not much help.
The story takes place in an out-of-the-way village not far from Montreal. The words "hamlet" and "village" are not that common in American usage and as a life-long city girl I would like to get a better picture of the scene.
Any description of the feel of "hamlet" and "village" would be appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 9:03:57 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Just think "small town."

DL

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 3:46:56 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Reed, Dog Lover, and tomi,
Great to see you here.
Book discussion starting 1st Sept looking forward to it starting then. If anyone else is reading the book please post just to register in but we won't start discussing until
1st Sept.
Barb down Under

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:47:49 PM PDT
L. Burns says:
I read it a few months ago and loved it. Will reread it before the 1st to refresh my memory. Looking forward to discussing it!

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 12:59:15 AM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
L Burns
Welcome
I just looked up your profile.
Ha loved this sentence there under the photo of the german shepherd
"German Shepherds are like potato chips - you can't have just one"
barb down Under

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:37:02 AM PDT
L. Burns says:
Lol, three is my absolute limit (and that's a stretch!). Two seems to be the magic number for our household. If you catch me on a bad day I might say that one is one too many - but I won't REALLY mean it ;)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 8:39:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 8:41:15 AM PDT
Shanter says:
Love the Louise Penny books and like Tomi said above, I listened to the audio versions narrated by Ralph Cosham. I highly recommend them - they are superb.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 3:43:55 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
I'd love to join in. I'll re-read the book this week. This series is just wonderful and I too am looking foward to the next book coming out next week!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:29:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 2:03:24 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Suffering from annoyance. As I said earlier, I loved Still Life so much, I ordered the whole series. All of them from the used list. I've received all but #2!!! Being OCD about reading a series in order, I've been sittin' here waitin' for that book since 8/10!

Similar thing happened last night. I ordered the finale season of The Closer DVDs in October 2011. Have waited (somewhat) patiently for the DVDs to be FINALLY released and shipped. They came in on Tuesday and I started the marathon of watching that entire season. So... what happened? The LAST disk in the set was defective!!! I went completely out of control! However, Amazon came to the rescue. They not only are shipping a replacement set but they gave me a gift certificate kind of promotion to allow me to watch the final 4 episodes by streaming them to my computer. So I actually got to watch the whole last set last night.

Amazon did win though. As I was "searching" on Amazon to find those streamable videos, I found several other sets I wanted. Ending up buying a few more TV series.

Unfortunately, there is nothing Amazon or the seller can do to make Gamache #2 arrive at my house any sooner. My sister is also waiting as her Kindle is on my account and she read and loved Still Life as well. (She will borrow the DTB versions as soon as I finish'em.)

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 3:41:54 PM PDT
JOANNE says:
What is the book "Still Life" about and who is the author. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 4:46:12 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Check it out:

Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

Shelfari provides a little more info - http://www.shelfari.com/books/1331428/Still-Life

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 7:22:52 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
JoAnne - It's about a murder in a small Canadian village. The characters are wonderful... The first time I read it I wanted to move to Three Pines!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 5:46:55 AM PDT
JOANNE says:
Dear Susan, thanks for responding so quickly to my inquiries regarding your suggestion. I' really excited to start reading this book now! I love to read and am always looking for new authors. Thanks so much. I really enjoy mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 5:51:23 AM PDT
JOANNE says:
Thanks for your information. Lots of people have liked this book. I have not read anything by this author yet, but I am now.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 7:13:04 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
@JoAnne - hope you enjoy it! I just finished it (for the 2nd time) today and am all ready to pack my bags and move to Three Pines. It will be fun to see what other people think of the characters...a couple who I just want to slap and a couple that I would love to have dinner with! Enjoy the book!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 5:19:59 AM PDT
Condorena says:
Dog Lover,

I know exactly what you mean!. I began reading the Aaron Elkins Gideon Oliver Series and I have most of the early ones but have been waiting for #2 for ages. You have reminded me to check out the where abouts of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 9:02:07 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Annoyin' isn't it? LOL!

My book finally arrived and now I am on Book #4. Cruisin' along nicely.

DL

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 9:46:10 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Excellent choice of book. I just love the Three Pines series. Best series currently being written, IMO.

Not sure I want to actually move there (the death rate is a bit disturbing), but I definitely want a meal at Gabri's B&B. :=)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 11:15:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 11:18:02 AM PDT
JOANNE says:
I haven't read book yet, but I will as soon as possible. It's really getting great reviews.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:22:02 AM PDT
JOANNE says:
I like your name "Tealady". I love to read books about England & teashops & little English villages. I have never been to England, but I woild to go sometime.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:58:16 PM PDT
Wow,

It's great to see so many new names looking forward to the discussion of STILL LIFE by Louise Penny. This is the dedicated thread, but if you'd like to discuss other mysteries or genres, you're more than welcome to join us on Barb's Books and Chat, aka the BBC. We are a widely diverse group and discuss film and television as well as books. Y'all come on over, y'hear?

Linda S.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 6:58:26 PM PDT
Hey, everyone,

I'm sure I read STILL LIFE years ago, but I am enjoying re-reading and taking notes in preparation for the discussion starting this weekend. I'm impressed by the quality of the characterization and the wonderful sense of place Penny establishes in the first three chapters.

Question to be thinking about ahead of time--what fictional detectives do you think Gamache perhaps similar to?

Linda S.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
1 Mar 14, 2015
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 6336 1 minute ago
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1138 13 hours ago
Mysteries without graphic violence and sex - but that aren't silly 49 6 days ago
Amusing British Mysteries 920 6 days ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 233 9 days ago
Help me find a book?! M/T where the MC is trying to find the man who framed her father for murder 0 9 days ago
Mystery/Suspense with Conman and scam artists 2 9 days ago
Mystery goals? 5 15 days ago
Elderly lady solving crimes? 72 18 days ago
READER-to-READER MYSTERY REVIEWS: Share the customer reviews you've written 112 19 days ago
murder mysteries with isolated mansion...etc. 12 20 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  175
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions