Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

What's your favorite all-time favorite mystery book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 508 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 10:08:47 PM PST
NanookMN says:
Amazon tells me I replied with a later post. If I did, I'd have said my absolute favorite is Tey's DAUGHTER OF TIME. Then, I probably tossed in Rebecca which is my absolute favorite movie involving a mystery. I do like Sayers and van Gulik. And why limit the list to one.
I'd love a list of your favorites because I'd probably like them all. One author you didn't mention was James Lee Burke.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 9:17:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2011 3:19:13 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 12:36:01 PM PST
Susie says:
Hi Foxglove,

I've had AN INSTANCE OF THE FINGERPOST on my shelf forever.
Someone else just mentioned this book on another thread, I'll have to get to it sooner than later.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 3:23:06 PM PST
foxglove says:
Susie
I have found that most people really do not like this novel. As I mentioned its one of my all time favorites but the people who agree with me are few and far between. I am interested in what you think about it. If it is not your cup of tea I hope you will share why.

It is very interesting always that while we are all dyed in th wool mystery lovers the same book will strike us very interesting.
That does make the threads very lively and interesting and lively

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:06:56 PM PST
Susie says:
Hi foxglove,

It will be interesting to see if 'FINGERPOST' works for me. I got the impression from R.E.C. it might be wordy, he said he wouldn't change one word though, so we'll see.
I'll let you know if I like it or not.

I've been reading so many great books I don't think I can come up with one favorite anymore.

I think the threads are great too, I love hearing what everybody's read and what they think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:35:43 AM PST
R. E. Conary says:
Susie,

As foxglove says FINGERPOST doesn't appeal to everyone because of its complexity and convolutions, but I found it as equally fascinating as did she. And if memory serves me well, RtS and I talked about it back in one of the Insomniac renditions and it is among RtS's favorites also. Very different from Pears' "Art Fraud" quick-read mysteries.

REC

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:43:12 AM PST
Susie says:
REC,

I once picked up an audio of an IP book, I don't remember the title or if it was the narrator or the story I couldn't get into.
I prefer straight up simple stories but have also enjoyed ones I can't follow too. I'm going to give it a try, IP comes up every once in a while, there must be a good reason why. Maybe I should see if there's an audio for Fingerpost, that might be better for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:46:04 AM PST
I read all the Cadfael books, loved them and they are favorites. They were my first go at medieval mystery and I would like to get some recommendations for another series or so. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:58:02 AM PST
PD James. on another Amazon Thread, "Barb's Books & Chat" Ms James, MURDER ROOM will be the subject of the mystery of the month discussion. We just finished Stuart Woods' CHIEFS. Perhaps you might take a look. I am sure any of those here might also be interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 7:00:49 AM PST
Ross MacDonald - The Galton Case

Thank you for the reminder. I remember with much pleasure my reading the book when it first appeared. I am going back to it.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 7:04:15 AM PST
THE WOMAN IN WHITE . My first,suggested by my wife over 55 years ago just after I had finished reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes. Earlier on this thread (I believe) I suggested that as my favorite. If I didn't (perhaps another site) I do now. My then and current ultimate test: do I keep turning pages and refuse to put down the book?

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 7:04:22 AM PST
Venus says:
I am in love with Monk, the show, the books, the whole thing. But I also like eerie mysteries. Jennifer MacMahon does this well.

Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 12:18:21 PM PDT
BradS says:
The Bible. And the mystery is: Who wrote it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 9:59:44 PM PDT
Good choice. I had forgotten about it. Didn't care for the movie at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:00:16 PM PDT
Winners.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:01:33 PM PDT
DAUGHTERS. Just put a hold on it in our library, Westwood, LA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:03:22 PM PDT
SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD., Yesssssssssss. Just scrapped half way through, OUR KIND OF TRAITOR. Yuch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:08:33 PM PDT
Great book. Maybe his best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:09:26 PM PDT
Willkie Collins. A WOMAN IN WHITE is a must, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:40:41 PM PDT
On-the-money. I think Block is at his best with MATT SCUDDER. Absolutely on the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:42:15 PM PDT
The Far Arena by Richard Ben Sapir....difficult to find but intriguing and impossible to put down.

I am gonna try. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:46:38 PM PDT
"I think the series is an excellent study in alcoholism." He is wonderful on Scudder's alcoholism, but the book I think is best as a demonstration of The Twelve Steps. I forgot the title, but there is one Scudder wherein his, Scudder's "sponsor" is a main figure. That challenge and how it is met is one of the great pieces of writing that I recall. I am not using "great" to trivialize. Scudder's inner turmoil is sharply and painfully drawn, all the moreso as he is in recovery. A true no nonsence book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:50:06 PM PDT
Ambler. I don't intend to start a war, but honestly Furst doesn't belong in the same sentence as Ambler. Furst is a great "photographer," but his story telling is not by any means its equal. Just an opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 10:51:04 PM PDT
Oh, No! The ending disqualifies her. Naughty girl.

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 6:37:25 PM PDT
Donna says:
Shadow of Reality (Book One in the Elizabeth and Richard Mystery Series)

All-time favorite mystery: Ah, you're asking me to choose between P. D. James DEATH IN HOLY ORDERS, Josephine Tey BRAT FERRAR and Dorothy L. Sayers BUSMAN'S HONEYMOON? That's an unfair request!

Donna
www.DonnaFletcherCrow.com
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  266
Total posts:  508
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 59 customers

Search Customer Discussions