Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 526 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:04:47 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
The audio of QUITE UGLY ONE MORNING was my introduction to Brookmyre. I would think that it would be a good idea to have the print edition on hand for at least a chapter or two until you get to the accent.

Lately, I've found myself stuck in Irish or Scottish accents.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:13:17 AM PDT
AMom says:
You need to read Shelly Fredman's No Such Thing as.... series
Only bad part, she only had 3 books
I think she does a better job than Evanovich- who has lost some of edge in recent books.

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:51:14 AM PDT
book reader says:
I just started this one, Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. I inserted the Kindle link for the first 5 books, it is how I purchased the first books and I certainly don't regret it.

High Heels Mysteries Boxed Set (Books 1-5)

On the previous page, I recommended this one. It was one of the best books I have read in the last few months.

Murder by the Old Maine Stream

Posted on May 19, 2012 12:13:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 12:14:27 PM PDT
Chloe says:
A recent entry into the laugh-out-loud category is Jenny Lawson's chart-topping book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir). I'm currently listening to the audiobook version and it's perfect. Her Bloggess website and contributions to other venues are hilarious, poignant, and touching too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 3:39:47 PM PDT
Janet Evanovitch ...... Stephanie Plum Series

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:04:26 PM PDT
TEB says:
I'm Texan so I'm partial to Texas authors. You may want to check LAID OUT AND CANDLE LIT, by Ann Everett. I thought the book was laugh out loud funny and I understand it is the first in a series. Her website says something about southern sass and Texas twang and I think that's a good way to describe the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 10:34:58 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
I may have mentioned this before, but I really liked Gemma Halliday's HOLLYWOOD HEADLINES series better than her HIGH HEELS one. Partly because the triple heroines seem smarter than the shoe designer (and besides I have difficult to fit feet--nothing she does would work, even if I did still have a job requiring dressy shoes).

Recent reading includes the pretty bizarre THE HITMAN'S GUIDE TO HOUSECLEANING by Hallgrimur Helgason. Not quite a mystery, it might be a thriller if it were less funny, it's the story a professional hit man as he flees New York for Iceland. When I got it, it was (relatively? or free?--might not be now) on Kindle. Maybe not for those who object to bad language (not near enough to bother me, and I don't think I'm really hardened to it) or sex (ditto).

I can remember seeing Anne George at a book fair when she had us in stitches reading from MURDER ON A GIRL'S NIGHT OUT, even though I expect that most of us in the audience had already read it by that time. Rereading it now, sometimes laughing even more that I did at the time. I may have already recommended this.

A POINTED DEATH by Kath Russell was intened to be a smart woman's antidote to some of the dumb heroines out there. Still pretty funny, and our heroine, while smart and capable, still does some dumb moves. If you follow an author Kathryn Russell, same gal.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 9:33:36 PM PDT
Try Cindy Sample's "Dying For A" series. Dying for a Dance Dying for a Date. These are very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 4:43:46 AM PDT
Check out NO CURE FOR MURDER by Judith Balafre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 7:36:41 AM PDT
Oh, my. Janet E. is a fairly good writer but Jennifer Cruise is tops. Her quirky characters are wonderful. She may have more romance in her books than some would like, but her writing is good and she is definitely a "laugh-out-loud" writer.

Several others who are quite good--- Mary Kay Andrews and Susan Elizabeth Philips. Joanne Fluke is ok but the recipes sometimes get in my way as I usually listen to most of these while I am working around the house or driving.

Having read all of the above, including Janet E's books, and the wonderful Lindsey Davis, Dick Francis and Rober Parker, I am now wondering where to go for a book (best of all series) from a deft storyteller and one that is witty, too boot!.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 10:22:44 AM PDT
I discovered an even better writer check out Jennifer Colt and her McAfee twins I laughed from page to page

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 3:35:57 PM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
I just finished reading Death of a Trophy Wife (Jaine Austen Mysteries) which I found to be quite hilarious! I may have to read some more in this series.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:05:09 PM PDT
I highly reccomend the Jaine Austen series also try Jennifer Colt her McAffee twins had me gasping from laughing so hard

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:51:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 11, 2012 9:59:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 9:46:19 PM PDT
Mary: Self-Promotion is against Amazon's rules, please read the following:

The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 4:56:29 AM PDT
A Dirty Job is the funniest book I've ever read!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:11:31 AM PDT
Chai on Life says:
I have only read the first post so forgive me if I repeat anyone but all of Molly Harper's books are quite funny.
I am also reading J A Konrath's Jack Daniels's series and the books are both violent and at times laugh out loud funny.
Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 7:04:09 PM PDT
Irene says:
Bkworm Bren,

I found All the Jaine Austen bools very entertaining. Hope you like them, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 2:47:39 PM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Irene: Looks like there are a lot of books in the series! I like the way Jaine laughs at herself and the fact that she's not perfect and knows it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 4:40:58 PM PDT
The Southern Sisters books are hilarious...and truly laugh out loud when there's no one else in the room funny. Anne George died way too early!!

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 7:12:16 PM PDT
I agree she was a great writer

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 7:13:48 PM PDT
I love the emails she gets from her parents what a hoot

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 2:01:20 PM PDT
Shanter says:
@Nancy L. Smith:
I've read (listened to) all of the Southern Sisters books and loved them. I don't understand your comment about the "emails she gets from her parents" - who is "she"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 2:09:45 PM PDT
Laura Levine's Jaine Austen series Jaine receives emails from her parents who live near the shopping channel Sorry for confusing you I love reading The Southern Sisters series was great and it is a shame that Anne George died so young. Love Elaine Viets, Carolyn Haines, T Dawn Richard and Jennifer Colt

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 10:55:55 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
I was wondering about those emails too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've been rereading Steven F. Havill's Posadas County mysteries. They do have their laugh out loud moments. The series follows the sheriff's department in the (fictional) Posadas County New Mexico for years and years. Bill Gastner--old-time retired miliary who eventually becomes sheriff, and then retires to become a brand inspector--the original sheriff, a good guy and a good cop, succeeded by a man whose main qualification is that he owns a new car dealership and is a member of the rotary club (eventually Bill decides that the guy isn't bad news), followed by a guy who is a rookie in the first book (prequel, actually) and then the first woman in the department. And yep, I mention these every time I get a chance.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  245
Total posts:  526
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions