Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 301-325 of 579 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:07:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 7:08:58 AM PDT
80plus says:
I read everything John Grisham writes, as well as Grafton, Leonard, and Corbin, but the funniest mystery I've read is HOW TO COMMIT MURDER WITHOUT EVEN TRYING. Somebody ought to make a movie out of it.
Your reply to 80plus's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 4:00:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 4:00:37 PM PDT
Here is a list of 20 funny mysteries compiled by the Ann Arbor District Library: http://www.aadl.org/user/lists/20923

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 2:45:11 PM PDT
And then there is Susan Elizaeth Phillips Lady Be Good. Not a true myster but it is there and definitely a "laugh out loud book: in places.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 6:01:20 PM PDT
linda stone says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 5:42:04 AM PDT
Initial post: May 16, 2011 4:46:41 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Monday, May 16th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Reported.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:23:01 PM PDT
Absolutely right about Joan Hess & Maggody! Maggody is hard to beat for laughs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 12:24:21 PM PDT
Has anyone mentioned MC Beaton, esp. the Hamish MacBeth series? Great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 1:47:00 PM PDT
Christy says:
I can't recall if anyone mentioned M.C. Beaton, but I am a big fan of the Hamish series, too.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned David Rosenfelt and his Andy Carpenter series which includes his Golden Retriever, Tara. I thought of it when I realized that he has a new book out, Leader of the Pack (9th in the series). However, you should definitely start with the first book, Open and Shut, which lays the foundation. Good stories, funny stuff, great characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 2:37:11 PM PDT
I love her writing as Marion Chesney and of course her Agatha Raisin series she is a hoot

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 2:38:30 PM PDT
love everything she writes including Agatha Raisin and also Marion Chesney

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:57:13 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Hmm. I was going to mention David Rosenfelt, and suggest that you NOT start at the beginning, if that is the one in which the father starts out still alive. That one may be a bit less funny.

That said, whatever the last one I read was, it seemed like Andy Carpenter was a bit too flip. But I do like the series, and will keep reading them. I love the dogs.

Speaking of loving the dogs--Lee Charles Kelley is an author whom I've been devouring lately. He and his hero are dog trainers. And there is quite a bit of humor in the books--not to mention a lot of dog training advice (not informed by Cesar Millan). More to my taste than the dominance mode.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:59:31 PM PDT
The Southern Sisters series by Anne George are priceless.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:59:31 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
I think I really did cry when I heard that Anne George died.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:26:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 26, 2012 5:32:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:39:11 PM PDT
Robert: please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 5:13:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 26, 2012 5:39:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 5:21:11 PM PDT
Sara Folly says:
If you like parodies than read Fifty Shades of Grayish. Very Funny!Fifty Shades of Grayish: A Parody

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:40:56 PM PDT
Yes! I have them on my keepers shelf to re-read regularly. She was also a poet--I have some of her poetry.
I just got a book that's about a pair of sleuthing sisters that's funny (not AS funny, but has a believable plot, which wasn't Anne George's strongest suit) and they're younger, in their twenties. If you like the Anne George, you'll probably like this. NICE WORK by Denise Weeks.
I know people have mentioned Donna Andrews and her wacky mysteries. And Joan Hess. I like her Claire mysteries. I never could get into the Maggody ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 6:41:20 PM PDT
Yes . . . me, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:51:15 AM PDT
Another author who is dead that had a great gift of comedy was
Charlotte McLeod Her characters were so crazy that you had to hold your sides from laughing out loud

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:07:57 AM PDT
The funniest mystery I've read in this year is Die, Die, Diet by Robert Rosenblum. I was laughing too hard to worry about my failure to take off those extra pounds. Pure, delicious, guilty pleasure!

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:28:22 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 1:50:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 1:51:17 PM PDT
Sherry S. says:
Harlen Coben's Myron Boitar books; Sparkle Hayter's Robin Hudson books; Dorian Yeager's Vic Bowering books; and, I think Sarah Caudwell had three books published prior to her passing away. The first one was Thus Adonis Was Murdered. Can't recall the others.

And, can someone tell me the author of the funny mysteries that were set in England countryside. Wife moved there, seems like it involved an inn or an old house. She married hot guy, stayed. They had twins. Dang....I'm sorry to be so vague, but they were really funny and I lost track of them a few years ago and have been wracking my brain trying to think of her name/name of any of the books.

Thanks for any help recalling....Sherry

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 2:00:16 PM PDT
Are you thinking of the Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton?

Sarah Caudwell wrote 4 books - Thus Was Adonis Murdered, The Shortest Way to Hades, The Sirens Sang of Murder and The Sibyl in Her Grave - all now available for Kindles!

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 10:22:01 PM PDT
Shanter says:
@Sherry Siska,
I believe you are thinking of Dorothy Cannell, whose protagonists Ellie Haskell and her husband (who is a chef) and twins (one boy, one girl) live in a big old house in or near a village. The first one is The Thin Woman. Very good series and sometimes hilariously funny.
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/C_Authors/Cannell_Dorothy.html
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  579
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 52 customers

Search Customer Discussions