Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Nordic/British/Irish/Euro mysteries II (NBIE II)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3751-3775 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 2:28:54 AM PDT
Joana,
Well I won the Nouvel Observateur Prize last year for AQBIA and did the speech in French in Paris, and afterwards I said, 'Never again with the French speeches!', but then something like this happens and the Quebecois are very proud and very fierce about their loyalty to French as the first language, and to do anything other than accept something so prestigious in French would have been discourteous and disrespectful, so I practiced harder this time and I was better in Montreal than I was in Paris! Never say 'Never again!'
Roger.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 2:29:25 AM PDT
Susie,
Yes, it was great fun. I posted some pictures of Montreal up there, and will post some more today.
Roger.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 7:35:45 AM PDT
Hello folks...for anyone on facebook who is so inclined: I am Mary Phillips there and I'm on Roger's list of friends. If you would like to friend me put NBIE in the message so I know it's you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 8:27:59 AM PDT
anna klein says:
Hi Mary,

I will put in my friend request now. Last night at a little get together, I was talking about our group here. When people hear that I am reading translated books, they are almost shocked. They think I am like a scholar reading Greek and Latin.

Also, Sydney, I loved THE EMPTY MIRROR. And without sending any spoilers out there, I have to tell you that the waiting list for your book is months long!!! I do not wait anymore for books. Since finding out that I can find them at amazon at very fair prices, I buy them. I always love to ask....what are you reading now?

Posted on May 16, 2010 8:47:28 AM PDT
I would hesitate to recommend THIS BODY OF DEATH to anyone but a serious fan of Elizabeth George's books. The slow start is part of it; the other part is that the book includes a theme that is very disturbing. I'll be interested to see what Jacquie thinks.

Susie, as I mentioned earlier, THE THREE WEISSMANNS is a contemporary re-imagining of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. The title can be taken as a play on words, but the theme of the book is SENSE AND SENSIBILITY-related, not Bible-related.

I'm guessing you're in recovery from finishing THE DEVIL'S STAR. Will you take a break before starting THE REDEEMER or dive right in? You also mentioned THE REDBREAST as being the first NesbÝ. It's the first translated into English and I don't know of any dates for translations of the first two (THE BAT MAN and COCKROACHES) into English. There are references in later books to the events that take place in THE BAT MAN, but I never felt like I was missing too much in the later books because I wasn't able to read the first two. I'm guessing you feel the same; also Jacquie, Arnie and Ellyn, as other devoted readers of NesbÝ's books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:09:01 AM PDT
joana says:
Roger,

re: Winning the Nouvel Observateur Prize last year for AQBIA

I hope the USA gets with the program soon! Here you are, winning various prizes elsewhere, including Canada, and yet it's still not that easy to get your books here (except by getting them from the UK).

Still, once the schedule you told us about for releasing your books here gets going, you should becomes a household word in the US too.

I think you were exactly right to do the speech in French and I'm sure the Quebecois appreciated it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:10:30 AM PDT
joana says:
anna,

<They think I am like a scholar reading Greek and Latin.,>

LMAO! :D

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:24:55 AM PDT
joana says:
Susie,

Nesbo vs Other Nordic writers

<One reason it might be unfair to compare is when they were written.>

If we're talking about Sjowall/Wahloo, I agree with you. And, as I've said before, Mankell praises them highly and says they had an effect on most of the scandis who followed BUT he had the pleasure of reading them in Swedish!

I think, really, that you can only compare writers who write about similar things in similar ways. Comparing Mankell's Wallander with Nesbo's Harry is the old apples and oranges thing. True, they both write about murder and how to catch the killer but then so do MC Beaton and James Ellroy :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:26:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2010 10:32:07 AM PDT
anna klein says:
Hi Joana,

So happy I made you laugh!! Absolutely loving CONSOLATION. I just told Susie, that you sure know me now. I love historical fiction with a kind of time travel element.

Hi Roger,

Very fine picture of you on facebook. Handsome for sure!!, but there is that mysterious aura about you of slight terror. I love the comments made by your friends. They sensed what I did too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 10:31:29 AM PDT
anna klein says:
Hi All,

I just wanted to add, that Jim Thompson also is reading Sjowall and Wahloo. I think he has read most of them and I have read all but one. He really loves those books and has talked to me about how Sjowall and Wahloo were able to comment about the politics of that time through their books. I did find the translations only slightly rough and enjoyed every book. Well worth reading!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 12:38:06 PM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Maine-

Okay about TTW-

I have finished Devil's Star, another rip roaring police procedural, everything you could want and more.
I didn't want to take a break from Nesbo but didn't get The Redeemer yet. :(

Do you know when BATMAN and COCKROACHES will be available?

Since you said the theme of THIS BODY OF DEATH is disturbing, I'll give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 12:40:14 PM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Joana-

Using MC Beaton and James Ellory is an excellent explanation of the point your making, I understand what you mean now.

Posted on May 16, 2010 1:59:21 PM PDT
Susie wrote: "Since you said the theme of THIS BODY OF DEATH is disturbing, I'll give it a try." Ha! I did wonder if that would be the result of my warning.

As I said in my prior post about the NesbÝ books: "I don't know of any dates for translations of the first two (THE BAT MAN and COCKROACHES) into English."

I hope you don't have to wait too long for THE REDEEMER. I would bet big money that you'll love it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 2:40:51 PM PDT
Joana,
Well, I figure on having as much of a battle in the US as I did in the UK, but hell, it isn't a game if there isn't some opposition, eh? But with your support it's getting easier.
Roger.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 2:43:06 PM PDT
Anna,
Yes, I am truly terrifying, of course! Crime writers are the most dangerous people in the world, no question! I had dinner with Michael Connelly once and I'm still not over it...
Roger.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 4:09:51 PM PDT
joana says:
Roger,

<...I figure on having as much of a battle in the US as I did in the UK...>

Well as long as the French (in France and in Canada) love you, you'll be all right :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 4:15:53 PM PDT
joana says:
anna,

<Absolutely loving CONSOLATION. I just told Susie that you sure know me now.>

One of the things that's great about recommending a book to you, anna, is that you are interested in a wide range of books (and subjects).

Posted on May 16, 2010 4:18:06 PM PDT
joana says:
Arnie, Mags, Ellyn, Susie and other International Mystery Fans,

Remember, this week it's Inspector Coliandro.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 5:28:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2010 5:32:56 PM PDT
Jacquie says:
Maine

Re: Eliz George - THIS BODY OF DEATH

I am in about 300 pages now and I agree that while it's a slow starter and am well hooked in now. Part of the theme that is disturbing I think is based on something that really happened which makes it even more disturbing. I think I'll not give up on EG though. She's provided me with a lot of good reading. I'll let you know if this opinion stands when I finish the book.

I found a couple of books in Mystery Scene magazine that fit into our theme. Both had pretty good reviews.

IN FREE FALL by Julie Zeh. This is translated from German by Christine Lo.

A TWIST OF ORCHIDS by Michelle Wan. Set in France and a part of the Death In Dordogne Series.

I'm not familiar with either, but perhaps someone else here is.

I am thinking that THE THREE WEISSMANNS might appeal to me. I loved SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. A modern take on it might be fun.

Maine I think that Arnie had some publication dates for the earlier Nesbo's. Perhaps you can track it back in the discussion. Seems to me I recall a long wait - like 2012. We do love our Jo Nesbo, don't we?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 9:40:39 PM PDT
anna klein says:
Hi Joana,
I am just home from work and was able to read CONSOLATION for an hour at work!! (My guilty pleasure!). Thank you for your compliment. I love all kinds of books, and if there is a hint of time travel coordinated with historical fiction, I will read it. You do know me and I am so lucky to know you. Please keep the suggestions coming our way.

Posted on May 17, 2010 6:28:07 AM PDT
BOLANO's THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES

Joana, Leighton(?), and anybody else who might be interested,

Well, I managed to read almost 200 pages this weekend. (I have to admit, after watching the Boston-Orlando playoff game with my son, I strayed off track and started reading LARRY BIRD and MAGIC JOHNSON: WHEN THE GAME WAS OURS.)

I was not immediately sucked in by THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES as I was with 2666, but I enjoyed the first part: MEXICANS LOST IN MEXICO. As an aside, however, there were so many sex scenes in that part, that it almost reminded me of the murder part of 2666. Instead of the banality of evil, it was the banality of sex.

I have just gotten into the second -- and I guess, final -- part: THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES. So far, it's just not grabbing me. I'm confused about why we care about all these people, who are telling the story in little dribs and drabs. Perhaps this will make itself clear.

Is "visceral realism" a spoof on "magical realism?" I'm not a big expert on Latin American literature, but I do know about magical realism. I wiki'd visceral realism, and the only link I can find refers to this book. I understand that Bolano does not want to be called a magical realist, but he sure sounds a lot like what I think of when I hear that term. Again, I'm not a literture expert, and particularly not a Latin American literature expert.

It seems clear to me that this book is a precurser of 2666, a warm-up, as it were. I think I told you at the end of 2666, that I was worried that if I read more Bolano now, I might be disappointed, since 2666 has been widely (and probably correctly) touted as his crowning achievement. So far, I am a bit disappointed. I will keep slogging, but this isn't grabbing me and pulling me along as did 2666.

I know you really, really like Bolano, Joana. What are you thinking so far?

Posted on May 17, 2010 7:25:29 AM PDT
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Tim-Gunns-Most-Challenging-Man-Makeovers?cnn=yes&hpt=Sbin

Jacquie, Susie, and other PR fans,

I don't watch The Oprah Show, but see the link above for cute pictures and text re Tim Gunn doing male makeovers on Oprah's show. I love Tim.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 9:16:48 AM PDT
Dolores,

I agree with you totally about SAVAGE DETECTIVES. I never cared about any of the characters and slogging is a good word for what reading this book to the end is like.

Patricia

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 9:18:53 AM PDT
joana says:
Hi anna,

Talking of time travel coordinated with historical fiction, I'm almost certain I mentioned this book to you already - but in case I didn't, have you read CONNIE WILLIS's TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG. Not only does it fit the above description but it is also very funny and has a touch of romance too: a bit of everything. (The title comes from THREE MEN IN A BOAT, being the rest of the title :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 9:34:32 AM PDT
Joana,
I set my DVR for Colliandro--was it good? My daughters science project took over! :)
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions