Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Nordic/Irish/British/Euro mysteries (NBIE V)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4376-4400 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:10:59 AM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Arnie,

<Last Day of school for me!>

You reminded me of the song we used to sing on the last day of school, "School's out, school's out, teacher let the monkeys out......"

Did you sing that song when you were in grammar school?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:17:38 AM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Mira,

My son's stomach is pretty much settled, I think he has laryngitis now, not a bad thing, lol.

You're right about resisting and accepting the state my mother's in. There's something positive though about my mom's failing health, it seems to have wiped out hard feelings from the past. Had I known I could have saved a fortune on therapy. I think it's a G-d thing, at the end of it all there should be peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 9:58:51 AM PDT
Bill Flynn says:
Susie, Booklass

The book I intended to mention to Booklass was NEVER LOOK AWAY...Not... DON'T LOOK BACK. I messed thatn up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:38:58 PM PDT
booklass says:
Thanks, Bill, for the heads up. I USUALLY do read the prologue, but it would have been just my luck to have skipped it this time because I am sleep deprived. Actually, I think I will wait until I am more rested to start it. It sounds good, and I don't want to waste a good book on someone who is practically in a coma-like state. Do you think they make sleepy time meds for small puppies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:45:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 12:46:14 PM PDT
booklass says:
Su Co, Does one have to be disrobed for leaving the order in a season when they must be doing something else? When we lived in Korea, I spent time with the Buddhist nuns there. Though they knew I was Christian, they also knew I was trying to at least understand my husband's new religion. They were very gracious to me. However, they did take away the task of making Lotus Blossoms, and I was assigned scraping gingseng. I'm afraid my Lotus blossoms looked more like wadded tissues. My ex actually became a Buddhist monk, at least for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:24:39 PM PDT
Susie,

You're so right about the road to peace - it can be winding and long and tortuous but it happens when it matters.

The blessings of laryngitis - LOL.
Yes, if his tummy wasn't well and his system is a bit weak, he'll be open to other infections.
Never mind, it'll go away soon.

I fondly remember the time when we all enjoyed the girls' small illnesses. Your teenager in bed for a day watching TV and reading, with chicken soup and freshly squeezed fruit juice on tap.
Only too soon they can't afford to be a little unwell and loved into recovery any longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 3:56:10 AM PDT
janebbooks says:
Sharp Objects: A Novel

Dark Places: A Novel

Susie, GONE GIRL is Gillian Flynn's third book. Libby talks about her often. DARK PLACES is her favorite. But she recently started reading
GONE GIRL which Amazon is really pushing......maybe she'll tell us
both why she's not too happy with the latest.......

Jane

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:10:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 4:20:34 AM PDT
janebbooks says:
Bloodland by Alan Glynn

In an effort to hold down the IRISH part of this discussion, I just read Alan Glynn's third book BLOODLAND. Glynn may have been born in Ireland in 1960........but the settings of his books are LIMITLESS....which happens to be the name of the techo-thriller film with Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro that was based on his debut novel The Dark Fields. His second novel is considered Dublin noir and is titled Winterland.

BLOODLAND, Glynn's third book, which won the 2011 Irish Book Award for best crime novel, is a thriller, a novel of political intrigue and corporate greed. A Los Angeles Times reviewer called BLOODLAND "an interesting and timely piece of globilization noir." Lots of characters with settings on three continents. Here's a bit of my Amazon review that you can read in entirety on READER-TO-READER MYSTERY REVIEWS later today:

... At the heart of the story is an out-of-work Dublin journalist named Jimmy Gilroy who has just picked up a fluff assignment of writing a biography of a soap opera star who died in a helicopter crash on the Donegal coast about three years ago.

Seems the coked-up Susie Monaghan had just crashed a convention of international corporate tycoons at Drumcoolie Castle in County Tipperary discussing the purchase of a copper mine in eastern Congo...and had flown up to Donegal with a few paragliders to check out locations for another kind of flying high...

I rated it almost 4 out of 5 stars. I would have liked more Irish sense of place....and less characters!..........but it's different!
Jane

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:29:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:29:10 AM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Jane,

Amazon really has been pushing Gillian Flynn's GONE GIRL, I'd never heard of her before.

I missed Libby's comments about her. Hopefully once she's back from Ky and settles back in she'll tell us.

I've had Alan Glynn's book WONDERLAND for months now. I'm not sure I ever opened it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:51:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:36:29 AM PDT
Su Co says:
Tracey,

Buddhism is like Christianity; there are many traditions/denominations, many of which don't agree. The one thing that Buddhists do agree on is not to kill each other over disagreeing. If you asked a Roman Catholic and an American Baptist for a book, other than a Bible, they would give you two very different books, so it is with Buddhists of different traditions.

I have to admit that if I knew then what I do now, I probably would have gone to a different tradition. A basic book is WHAT THE BUDDHA TAUGHT by Walpola Rahula written in the 1950's and has been in print continuously since. I would skip the Foreword and Preface, start with "The Buddha" that is just before the first chapter. Until you read the book, the Foreword and Preface is very confusing, so read it after you finish the book. Note that the monk who wrote it was of the Theravada tradition, however he refrained from knocking Mahayana traditions. It's available for Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:02:13 AM PDT
Su Co says:
Jane, Tracey,

Me, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:04:42 AM PDT
Su Co says:
Susie,

You are a dear. Be happy and well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:17:18 AM PDT
Tracey Ivy says:
Thank you,Su Co. I will look into it.

Just finishing NEMESIS now which I'm liking best of all Nesbo's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:34:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:38:33 AM PDT
Su Co says:
Booklass,

Different schools have different rules. Some have a rule that if you completely disrobe you are no longer ordained so those monastics have a 2 or 3 piece "robe" and even when bathing they have piece one on BUT those are a very small minority, not mine. When out, for every day I wear 2 piece brown or gray pajamas. I add a long brown travel robe with narrow sleeves to brown pajamas when traveling but I don't bother with the latter for just out and about (shopping, Go, doing errands). For special occasions, I trade the travel robe for a ceremonial brown robe with deep butterfly sleeves and carry my yellow Buddha robe of many pieces folded over my shoulder, opening it for Buddhist ceremonies. A couple of weeks ago I went to the funeral at the Baptist church of my mother's friend who I knew from childhood. I took my mother and wore my travel robe and left my Buddha robe in my Bhikhu bag.

Please note that my Master strongly forbade us from proselytizing but at the same time we were told that we must answer questions as fully and honestly as we could.

Be happy and well,

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:36:50 AM PDT
Susie says:
Hi Mira,

<You're so right about the road to peace - it can be winding and long and tortuous but it happens when it matters.>

A second before I read that I was wondering if once all is said and done if peace will last.

I thought he was feeling better but something is really wrong with his stomach, I'm going to call the doctor and get a referral for GI doctor. Maybe he has/had more than a flu.

I miss the days when I could baby my kids, things do change when they get older.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 11:38:39 AM PDT
Return to Wuthering Heights by Nicloa Thorne is available free on Kindle. It has no reviews yet, so don't know how good it is. But the price is right!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 12:24:49 PM PDT
Susie, you have to stop babying the kids and then start babying the parents. But the parents cannot be picked up and moved like you want to do. But just as in both cases, you have to relax and let go and know that you gave all you could at the time you were needed. Being responsible is responding in the moment. That is truly as far as we can go. Ginger

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:07:27 PM PDT
Hi all, Just finished

DEPTHS by
Henning Mankell

DEPTHS is a dramatic change-of-pace, stand-alone novel by Mankell, famous for his Kurt Wallander series. Set in Stockholm and primarily in the islands near Sweden in 1914/1915, DEPTHS is the story of Lars, a naval officer whose mission is to take and record depth measurements in the Swedish archipelago to insure that ships can navigate the waters safely, especially in the event Sweden were to enter WWI. The novel is character driven, by both Lars' actions and psychological, internal life, with other characters only playing "bit" parts. Although married to an elegant, but distant, woman, Lars is a solitary man and a classic example of an amoral sociopath; lying to everyone with whom he interacts (his wife, his superiors, his colleagues, and the woman he encounters who lives alone on an isolated island) becomes a way of life for him. DEPTHS could be classified as literary fiction or a psychological thriller, well written, but very restrained. I don't believe it would appeal to many NBIE readers. I gave it 3 ˝ stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:07:58 PM PDT
Susie,
I think my family and I saw Kiss two years ago....but yes, we had a great time!!! I got cheap seats this time!:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:10:14 PM PDT
Susie,
rest, stay positive and take care....don't get "clomped":)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:12:07 PM PDT
Susie,
We sang a version of Schools Out by Alice Cooper.....:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:17:12 PM PDT
Tracy!
Yeah! Another joins the Nesbo train! I am reading Phantom now! I liked The Devils Star, Redeemer, and The Snowman lots too! You have much to enjoy ahead!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:55:59 PM PDT
Tracey Ivy says:
Yes, Arnold, I'm enjoying the Nesbo ride. Read Snowman and Leopard out of order but have now gone to the beginning - starting Devil's Star next.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:18:04 PM PDT
Arturius says:
Hi Everyone,
For a quintessentially British mystery you would be hard pushed to go past Woodlife by Richard M Vickers. It's set mainly in the English countryside and has a strong female lead character who is a bit out of the ordinary. Read it a few years ago but still remember it as a hard one to put down.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:15:54 AM PDT
Has anybody read Jan Wallentin's Strindberg's Star? Well, before you spend any money on it, you might want to read this scathing review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R95MPL96E2UCL/

Whew, she doesn't pull any punches, does she?
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions