Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

What's your favorite all-time favorite mystery book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 508 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:00:16 AM PST
champton says:
I have just ordered one of the author's books. Thank you for the tip.
At one time I searched various sites for books by Edwardsson and ordered my big find. It arrived in Swedish. Live and Learn.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:05:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 7:05:59 AM PST
champton says:
I remember reading Sayers twenty years ago. I recently picked up one I had not read. I was shocked by the blatant racism. Now I don't think I could pick her up again.
On another note I don't know why I keep typing Edwardsson instead of Edwardson. I apologize. I don't know if it is a spelling or typing glitch.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 9:04:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2012 9:06:47 PM PDT
I don't think I've seen the ten book series by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo mentioned - The Martin Beck mysteries. One of the earlier Scandinavian entries into the mix. They did a BBC series from them ... and made a horrible US movie of The Laughing Policeman (reset from Sweden to San Francisco, renamed the main character and starred Walter Matthau). Was the series that dragged me away from US West Coast PI stuff.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:48:59 AM PDT
All time favorite: Chasing the Dime, by Michael Connelly.
I enjoyed all of the late Richard S. Prather's "Shell Scott" books and of course the "color" series by John D. MacDonald, but for all around suspense and plot presentation, Chasing the Dime wins, hands down.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:27:24 AM PDT
Queenie says:
I used to love Elizabeth George's Thomas Lynley books and then she jumped the shark and killed off a beloved character in a particularly horrible way. Haven't really loved her books since then. The same is true of the Laurie King stories about Holmes and Russell. The last one, The Pirate King, was a waste of time and money. I will not buy the one coming out in September, but may get it from the library. For anyone wanting to check out a terrific author, I recommend Deborah Crombie. Her series has continued to be one great read after another.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 10:32:20 AM PDT
I've never replied orparticipated in a post before, but I love Reginald Hill's Daziel and Pascoe series, and think they are simply brilliant. Is there any other series or stand alones we might have in common?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 10:35:37 AM PDT
I would like to see your list. my email is vrobin25@yahoo.com To say I am an avid reader is an understatement, so I am always looking for good books!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 1:28:19 PM PDT
Star Reader says:
Perfect Nightmare: A Novel--Every parent's nightmare becomes reality for Kara Marshall when her daughter, Lindsay, vanishes from her bedroom in the middle of the night. The police suspect that the girl is just another moody teenage runaway. This mystery book you will not be able to put down i swear!!

When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder Mysteries)-- this one's an oldie but a goodie, from 1986. The hard-nosed detective turns his life around in this book. Forced to leave the N.Y.P.D., Matt Scudder survives the only way he knows how and that's basically by drinking..until his barroom cronies lure him into some nasty business that includes blackmail, double cross and murder.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 9:19:56 PM PDT
Richard and Frances Lockridge, Mr and Mrs North Series
Agatha Christie's Parker Pyne Investigates
Richard Stark's early Parker mysteries but the later ones not at all (Westlake wrote them)
Randy White Wayne's Doc Ford series

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:55:37 AM PDT
I usually enjoy Anne Perry's books. However, I've occasionally come across a dud by her.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 11:56:49 AM PDT
D. Pickle says:
I'm enjoying all of the "William Monk" books by Anne Perry. I had read some of her "Pitt" books but they didn't hold my interest nearly as well.
Rebecca of course is my all-time favorite. I guess you can consider that a mystery.
My favorite Agatha Christie is "Ten Little Indians" - I think that's the title.
I'm always on the lookout for another great mystery book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 5:12:55 PM PDT
I like both series. Do you read Charles Todd's Rutlege series? It's very good.ruchado you

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 6:16:50 AM PDT
Reginald Hill(RIP) 'On Beulah Height'
He is my fav contemporary British author. So sad to have read of his death from cancer this spring. His protaganist Daziell is one of the great characters in British mysteries. The book named is my favorite b/c of the references to Mahler's 'Kindertotenlieder' Has always been one of my most loved song cycles, and the idea of translating it into Welsh is so intriguing.
Donna Swan

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 8:28:38 AM PDT
D. Pickle says:
Veronica - I just checked out Charles Todd on Amazon and this definitely looks like a promising series - thanks for the suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 8:31:22 AM PDT
D. Pickle says:
Donna - Just looked at the description on Amazon and "On Beulah Height" definitely looks like a keeper - is this part of a series or a stand-alone. i couldn't tell for sure when reading up on it.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 8:35:17 AM PDT
Shanter says:
@D. Pickle,
See http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/H_Authors/Hill_Reginald.html. "On Beulah Height" is part of the Dalziel (pronounced D L) and Pascoe series.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 8:41:01 AM PDT
D. Pickle says:
Oh thanks Shanter - I have that site on my favorites but keep forgetting to check. I hope it doesn't matter about reading these in order because it looks like this one is on down the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 3:30:22 PM PDT
have you read all of Dorothy Sayers books? she is one of my favorites! I love her character development, and am very fond of Lord Peter - not to mention her clever plots. another individual commented about "racism," but one has to remember how different things were 70 plus years ago. looking at Lord Peter as a whole, he was very generous, kind, and open minded. what about Ngaio Marsh? have you read anything by her, Detective Allyn?

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 3:31:45 PM PDT
looking at some of the latest postings, do not see Ngaio Marsh or Rex Stout. these are two of my personal favorites.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:23:34 PM PDT
Rondine says:
I have read several of the Roderick Alleyn books. I liked the earlier ones a bit better as I recall. Has anyone read Michael Innes or Edmund Crespin? They are two of my favorite authors from the 'golden age'

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 9:27:23 AM PDT
I've read every one of them numerous times over the years, even though most of them are not what I would call a traditional mystery- the villain is mostly obvious from the beginning, and no locked rooms, but they are wonderfully constructed with great characters and dialogue. After so many years, it's like sitting down and visiting with a dear friend.
Donna Swan

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 9:39:32 AM PDT
I have all of Reginald Hill- a somewhat underrated author in this country. It is part of a series, probably 25 books or so.There is also a TV series called Daziell and Pascoe. Hill wrote a few stand alone books and a short series featuring a black would be detective in London. Can't remember names, but they are amusing. (Detective also sings in a community chorus, so you get some classical music thrown in that one too.) (I'm a professional musician, so I am always interested in books with singers or orchestra players)

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 9:47:48 AM PDT
Sorry, didn't finish post before I hit send. Michael Innis real name- J.I.M. Stewart

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 12:55:37 PM PDT
You nailed it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 4:34:24 PM PDT
I have enjoyed several Lord Peter Wimsey stories. What constitutes racism in your mind? I think you are much too sensitive. I am currently reading Joseph Conrad's N----er of the Narcissus - many consider it the finest writing in the English language. He wrote of the times and he wasn't afforded the opportunity of the future sensibilities. Read Wolf Hall when you have the chance. Speaking of the times, Ms. Mantel recounts how Thomas Moore butchered hundreds for reading a version of the Bible that he and Henry VIII didn't agree with --and the Catholic Church made Moore a saint.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
6 Jul 12, 2015
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 1627 1 hour ago
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 7068 8 hours ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 248 10 days ago
The Richard Jury Books by Martha Grimes 84 12 days ago
Mysteries without graphic violence and sex - but that aren't silly 53 Aug 4, 2015
Cozy search: British setting, younger lead, humor a plus 6 Aug 4, 2015
Books similar to J.D. Robb's "In Death" series? 18 Jul 30, 2015
Stopping Time. Is it Possible? 1 Jul 10, 2015
Please, Are There No Adult Mysteries That Do Not Feature MURDER? 221 Jul 9, 2015
Anyone read this new book? 0 Jun 24, 2015
Mystery wrapped in romance without the discriptive sex. 7 Jun 19, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  266
Total posts:  508
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 59 customers

Search Customer Discussions