Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Nordic/Irish/British/Euro mysteries (NBIE V)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4676-4700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 4, 2012 12:37:22 PM PDT
booklass says:
I have no books to share at the moment. I spent my 50th birthday with a particularly violent tummy bug, and I didn't even feel like reading. I ached all over, and even my eyelashes hurt! No, of course, I am not being melodramatic, but totally truthful. Really. 8-) So, my 50th birthday was memorable, but not in a good way. However, I started watching Foyle's War, and I am totally in love with that series. Fabulous. I was almost (almost, but not really) glad to be sick because I had the remote control for two days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 12:41:43 PM PDT
And Booklass if you still can watch, on Acorn Doc Martin is running a Marathon. Enjoy. Ginger

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 12:42:38 PM PDT
booklass says:
Ginger, I could not imagine having no appetite. I don't think it would be wonderful at all since food is such a sensual and wonderful part of life. I have no desire to lose my appetite for anything, except, perhaps, bad decisions. I wouldn't mind that. I know there are a lot of foodies on this site. I suppose for those of us with middle age spread or just extra pounds, whatever we choose to do really does need to be personally tailored, or it will never work.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 12:44:07 PM PDT
booklass says:
Thank you, Ginger, but hubby sees that I am relatively recovered and has the remote. I will have to go to Netflix and watch it while catching up on laundry and what not. I just put it in the queue yesterday, so it is funny you mentioned it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 1:00:43 PM PDT
booklass, do you have Acorn, it is a marathon, but actually it is on Netflix too. I just kept going. I loved it so much and then ordered the 5th season on dvd for my birthday present. Ginger

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 1:09:42 PM PDT
Watched ENDEAVOUR from PBS on my PVR last night and really enjoyed it. Morse is back...even if he is a lot younger. The young man who played him is good. No John Thaw, but still good in the part. I hope they make more.

I was interested to see if Colin Dexter continues his practice of making cameo appearances as he did in Morse. He was there in the scene when Morse and the Chief Inspector were having a beer in the pub. The camera briefly flashes on a man reading a newspaper -- it's Colin Dexter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 1:46:12 PM PDT
James, this looks like it will be great fun. Seeing as PPS somehow doesn't come through Ojai all the time I guess I will have to wait for the years to pass and then get it on cd. Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 1:50:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 1:50:35 PM PDT
Ginger:

It's already available on DVD through Amazon for $19.95. Very good. I'll want to add it my collection of Inspector Morse DVDs. I have them all. I also like Inspector Lewis. Happy 4th of July to you!

James

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:03:14 AM PDT
James,

Dexter appears in Lewis too just as he did in Morse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:06:47 AM PDT
a/c

Hi, Susie,

I have to laugh about the AC. Not that you are sweating and having problems, but because every spring, here in Florida, I start worrying about the AC dying (mine is really old). I complain that "everytime I have trouble with the AC it's in the hottest time of the year!" Well, duh, wouldn't it BE in the hottest time of the year that my AC would go because overtime?! One of my son's friends knows quite a bit about AC work, and I always have him come and look at it before calling a service. Sometimes he can fix it on the cheap, but he can always tell me what's wrong and how much I should expect to pay for it to be fixed. He's a doll.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:09:53 AM PDT
<<Well, duh, wouldn't it BE in the hottest time of the year that my AC would go because overtime?!>>

whoops, meant to say:

"...my AC would go because it is working overtime?!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 7:14:22 AM PDT
Su Co says:
Susie,

I started to watch Chicago but it didn't hold my attention.

By the way, Ginger turned me on to Acorn: Acornonline.com it has British TV series. I have it through my Roku box that I use to connect Netlix to my TV. All of Doc Martin which is available until the end of July.

More important, it has: THE RIVALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. Sherlock Holmes wasn't the only fictional detective in Victorian London. Inspired by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, other writers of the time created a colorful cast of sleuths: Dr. Thorndyke, Max Carrados, "Klimo," Lady Molly, Detective Dagobert Trostler, the mysterious Mr. Laxworthy, and more. This classic British series aired on public television in the 1970s and features some of Britain's top character actors including John Thaw, Derek Jacobi, Jeremy Irons, Donald Pleasence, and Jean Marsh.

Interestingly enough, some of these detectives are not above cheating their clients.

I got a lot of these stories from Feedbooks.com for my kindle. I especially liked Max Carrados who is a blind detective.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:01:13 AM PDT
Jacquie says:
Su Co

Re: Chicago

I saw it twice on the stage and I think it is one of those shows that doesn't translate over to movie very well. It was incredible on stage. I took my mom to it in Boston. Jerry Orbach played the male lead and he was terrific.

Hope are staying comfortable. It is still hot although not breaking records. I really don't do well in the heat, but I have figured out how to plan out my days so that during the hottest part I am sitting with a fan, a cool drink and a good book! That's the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:07:52 AM PDT
Catwoman2965 says:
I am exactly the same way! I've done WW a number of times in the past, waaay back when when you counted breads, fruits, etc. and more recently with the various point systems. I tend to obsess and focus more on the food/points etc. and end up feeling deprived, so I eat more. I've found, difficult as it is, and I'm not always successful, watching my portion size nd waht I eat works best for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:43:02 AM PDT
booklass says:
"One of my son's friends knows quite a bit about AC work, and I always have him come and look at it before calling a service. Sometimes he can fix it on the cheap, but he can always tell me what's wrong and how much I should expect to pay for it to be fixed. He's a doll."
And worth cloning, Dolores!! You could make a small fortune if you did and sold the extras to those of us who are "DIY challenged". Last year, during the worst drought we'd had in a century or more, our A/C went out. For two weeks. I was beyond miserable. I do not envy anyone w/o A/C this time of year. Bless your hearts.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:44:08 AM PDT
booklass says:
Ginger, I don't have Acorn, but we do have Netflix and Hulu. I wonder if we can even get Acorn?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:45:50 AM PDT
booklass says:
Catwoman, The obsessing over food thing is why I quit buying diet books, etc..., too. I agree, for myself, watching what and how much I eat, within reason, will have to suffice. And let the pounds fall where they may. Now, if someone wants to invent a diet book that is also a mystery, set in another country, of course, then I might read it (and probably enjoy it, too).

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:48:05 AM PDT
booklass says:
Gosh, I MISS Jerry Orbach. He was so great in Law and Order. I would loved to have seen him on the stage. I did like Chicago on DVD, but I would imagine it would be better on stage. I think stage performances have a certain energy not seen on TV or at the movie theater.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:47:30 PM PDT
Hi Booklass, Doc Martin is on Netflix. 31 of them and movies too. Ginger

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:10:52 PM PDT
Catwoman2965 says:
I hear you. I know what I need to do, but knowing and doing are two very different things! I also find it tough being that I have two jobs, and many nights go form one to the other, with a short break, and I'm not that hungry at 4:30, but ravenous when I get home around 10! I need to lose probably 60 lbs; gained about 12 in the last year or so with NO effort at all on my part. I'm thinking age is the culprit :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 3:01:15 PM PDT
Reed says:
I had a similar problem. I'm not very hungry during the day. Eating at night puts on pounds faster for some reason. I need almost twice as much insulin per grams of carbohydrate after 6pm than I do during the day. I had to stop snacking at night because I wasn't supposed to take insulin near bedtime and this made my morning glucose levels shoot up. With less insulin and no night-time food I dropped the 15 pounds I had gained in the last couple of years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 3:19:00 PM PDT
Catwoman it seems you are doing so much and you need to be gentle with you. I think for me the planning ahead and having the right things to eat is the best thing. When I am weary I want to eat all the wrong things and right in the moment, forgetting about the big picture. I never learned to ask myself before if it was right. Because I have been out of control for so long, not having energy, I needed to be accountable to me. That fairy with the magic wand never showed up to help me. So be being aware and accountable I am seeing in two weeks how much better I feel. Sometimes when I look up things I am amazed at how many points they are. Then I realize why although I wasn't eating much, I wasn't eating wise. My friend who is half my age just started WW and she went out to a fancy dinner and was astounded at how many points she ate. It was eye opening. I think that is the best thing about it. You can have what ever you want, just be aware. But for me now I take a snack if I haven't been hungry enough to eat. I was walking around a nice little market this morning, just examine the counts. And the phone app will read the bar code. I think I am looking at it as fun. I like adding things up on the computer, and seeing where I am. But of course I am home all the time. Not working so hard, but at 78 only my mother and my husbands mother were working. I admired them and wondered how they did it. I couldn't have. Anyway be good to you and perhaps planning for yourself is being good to you. Ginger

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 4:03:47 PM PDT
A couple of good freebies for Kindle:

Libby Fischer Hellman, AN EYE FOR MURDER (The Ellie Foreman Suspense Mysteries)
Julie Smith, Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon #3) (Skip Langdon Mystery) (The Skip Langdon Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 4:39:07 PM PDT
Su Co says:
jacquie

Hot, we haven't got AC but a tower fan works pretty well. I just hope it doesn't get much more humid. I swear my body absorbs moisture from the air. When I was in Vietnam and got sick, I blew up like a balloon, retaining moisture. Ugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 4:39:54 PM PDT
Thanks James for the books. Ginger
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions