Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Seeking An Excellent Series-Suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 200 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 3:13:29 AM PDT
They're available for download in the UK, and I seem to see them here too, but sometimes odditiies occur! They all have 'dead' in the title, so I got a list of them here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3APeter+James%2Cp_82%3AB001KCF2UA%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&keywords=Peter+James&ie=UTF8&qid=1333102235&rnid=618072011

Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 12:49:03 PM PDT
M. Vojtek says:
I agree. The first 17 books are a must. Someday I'll read them all again...

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 12:56:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 30, 2012 1:03:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 5:22:36 AM PDT
Try a new sries featuring baby boomer investigative reporter Vic Bengston. The first in the series, WATER: A Vic Bengston Investigation, is available on Kindle -- and today only, Sunday April 1, it is free. The second in the series, VOTE, is due out this summer. If you like it, post a review and spread the word. No blood and gore - a softboiled mystery with a bit of noir. WATER: A Vic Bengston Investigation

--Richard J. Schneider/Author..

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:53:01 PM PDT
Suggest the Laura Joh Rowland series with a Japanese detective trying to solve crimes in 15/16th century Japan. No autopsies allowed. No forensics-but he does well every time. Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael series is set in the same general period but in England. Another real detective because he too has no modern methods that we can use.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 10:44:01 AM PDT
L. Barber says:
I strongly recommend Charles Todd's Inspector Rutledge series (set in World War I-era England), Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series (set in Quebec), Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series (again, post-WWI England) and Deborah Crombie's Duncan Kincaid series (modern-day England). If you're looking for a laugh, Lisa Lutz's five Spellman Files books are a must.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 6:57:47 PM PDT
Commenter77 says:
See http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 7:29:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 7:32:18 PM PDT
Commenter77 says:
Thinking maybe I could get an answer to a long-shot question from this well read group of mystery fans. I was reading a series that I enjoyed, and sorry to admit that I cannot remember any names, either author, book titles, detectives or other recurring characters. This looks like the place to ask if any of the following rings any bells. The series is based in contemporary England. There is a well-to-do single man who is friends with a Scotland Yard detective. The rich guy has a flat in London and a girl friend who is a model, who does not care for his sleuthing. The detective friend gets him involved in his cases because of his skill in detecting. A new one came out last August (2011) and when I went to get it, I had nothing but blanks about it, having moved onto other things in the interim. Thanks very much for any ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 7:45:33 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Superficially it sounds a bit like the earlier Elizabeth George/Inspector Lynley - but the detective is actually titled and he and his friend are both wealthy. And the friend, St James, is now married (she's a photographer, can't remember if she was a model in the beginning...)

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:02:56 PM PDT
Commenter77 says:
Thanks, I appreciate your time to input. However, it is a current series. The rich guy has a large dog. The model is still a girl friend. She gives a bit of trouble and they had a bust up, but are back together in the last one before the 8/2011 one which I haven't read. The Scotland Yard detective is not from a wealthy background. They both live in London, but the cases take them to various spots around England.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 8:08:28 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Hope somebody recognizes it - sounds interesting. You could also scroll through
stopyourekillingme.com
they sort series by many categories including regional, and even separate London into its own category.
good luck

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:48:58 PM PDT
Commenter77 says:
Bingo: Your link worked. It's:

"Cassandra Chan
* Jack Gibbons: detective sergeant at Scotland Yard, and Phillip Bethancourt his rich friend, man-about-town from university days, in London, England"

thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:59:27 PM PDT
Commentor77, it sounds like Martha Grimes's Richard Jury series.

Also, a couple of series that I just discovered than are awesome: Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon mysteries (National Park ranger) and Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire mysteries (comtemporary Wyoming sheriff).

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 5:40:42 AM PDT
Commenter77 says:
I found it. See above. Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 6:39:49 AM PDT
Adgirl says:
I am so glad I lucked into this blog. I'm an avid mystery reader and thought I'd read a lot of them but so many of the ones listed are new to me and just when I feared I might have exhausted the best ones - here is many, many more. Thanks!

I do recommend Christopher Fowler's series of the Peculiar Crimes Unit. Kind of goes along with PBS series "New Tricks." Older folks with lots of experience helping to solve strange and unsolved crimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:36:58 PM PDT
Marc Rainer says:
As much as I like this genre, I find the Reacher series to be so unrealistic that I can't read them. A vagabond hero carrying no credit cards or ID and bumming around the country, yet he's a college-educated former Army officer investigator acting like a vagrant. He also is supposed to be some modern Sherlock Holmes when all he was in the Army was an MP (the real investigations are done by Army CID, not the MP's). Well written, I grant you, but not so well founded in research or premise. I had the same probelm with Grisham's "The Firm," since I was prosecuting mafia cases at the time I read it. No Chicago mobster was going to give his cash to a bunch of Tax attys in Memphis, and no FBI director was going to hand 1 mil to a snitch in a briefcase on the Capitol Mall. Took me ten years to get back to "Time to Kill," and "The Chamber," which were superb, and credible.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:55:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 8:00:31 PM PDT
Miss M says:
You're right, there certainly is some suspension of disbelief required - one thing that I always found silly (think it came from The Affair) is that he supposedly only ever had Army-issued clothes. And I may not have read enough of the back-stories yet, but aside from the stock reminiscences of Marine Corps dependent life, there's so little introspection/interior life for a character who's obviously extremely intelligent. But still...there's definitely something about the guy.

Somehow I missed that he wasn't CID - I prob made an error in assuming that someone at the O-4 level, and qualified for the special assignments it was implied he was on, would be top of the line. Don't think I've ever seen the differences in command structure spelled out for MP vs CID (at officer level.)

If by any chance you're interested in a series with CID background, I really enjoy and would recommend Martin Limon's series about two GI's stationed in 1970's South Korea. First one is Slicky Boys. My understanding is that Limon was in the Army, so maybe you'd find it more authentic...

ETA: zoinks, go that wrong, Limon's first was Jade Lady Burning

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:59:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 8:11:33 PM PDT
I second this recommendation (Harry Bosch), ifyou like police procedurals. A very gripping series. Other series that I like are by both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. Again, read them in order. Jon's series is about Alex Delaware, and his police sidekick. Alex is a child psychologist, and gets into some really interesting characters. Jon's books are well plotted, and both his main characters are well developed. Here's a chance to see what being a person in the helping community of ministers and psychologists is believable and something most of us haven't experienced.

Faye Kellerman's are unique. They are set (in the first few series) about Peter Decker (Police Sgt at the beginning) and Rina Lazarus, when we meet her, she is a young widow living in a Jewish Orthodox community of students and teachers. If you want a fascinating look into a world that is new to most of us, and takes Rina's religious faith seriously. Later, as a family, they move away from the community, and Rina struggles to find a way to keep her boys connected to their faith--and to the experiences that formed their dad, who died when they were young.

I enjoy both of these writers...but I'm not so enamored of their children's writing. Jesse is writing beyond what he knows, and it shows. Faye and her daughter have co-written a couple, and they're ok.

Try Jon's and Faye's; they are worth the reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 6:06:39 PM PDT
gigip says:
I love Dunning's books, but I am only aware of three. Hmmm. Beyond these, I recommend Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series and Emma Graham series, Margaret Coel's Wind River series and Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 8:00:55 PM PDT
Try this:

The Forbidden Book

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 7:05:26 AM PDT
Alexie Aaron says:
I'm a fan of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series. Although, only the later books are on Kindle. Her books are each named after an authentic English pub. Richard Jury is her main character but I love Melrose Plant. I think she has done a marvelous job in fleshing out his character. I also love Louise Penny's "Still Life."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 8:49:10 AM PDT
Rene says:
So sorry - Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder series. (I edited my post)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 9:31:34 AM PDT
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Charles Todd, Peter Robinson, Tom Bradby, and Jo Nesbo.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:00:13 PM PDT
P. M. Scogin says:
One of the very few books I will pay full price for -(well not hardback but trade edition) and not wait for mass market pb edition or for it to hit the used market. For this penny pinching book hound - that's top rating. Donna Leon's 1st book in her Venetian Police procedural, Death at La Fenice: A Commissario Brunetti Mystery is 99 cents.

Have no idea how long and certainly, none of the other 22 books in the series are discounted, so my advice is, if you haven't read it, BUY IT. I love this series - they're not cozies and they're not slashers, they are not lusty potboilers (although Brunetti is actively in love with his wife) and not international cia assassin cliff hangers. They are quiet, thoughtful, well researched, with characters you feel you are standing in the rain with, or sipping grappa with, or gritting your teeth against the stupidity & politics all around you while trying to deal with the criminals you're allowed to punish.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 5:33:31 PM PDT
gigip says:
I too am a huge Grimes' fan. Also found that I love the new Emma Graham books by Grimes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  200
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions