Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Barb's Books & Chat

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7576-7600 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 1:58:47 PM PDT
Anastasia,
The mushrooms sound delicious. When we have fresh scallops (soon..and of course not those hideous things called 'sea scallops,' which are actually the meat from the wings of rays cut out with something like a cookie cutter), I like putting the caps of baby Bellas on a grill plate, put a scallop in the little hole, add a shot of good olive oil, some crushed garlic and parmesan and grill them. This one of yours would be great either slathered over a hamburger or baked inside a hollowed-out baguette. I've saved it.
As far as the basil and oil, I just dump the ice trays into a zip lock bag and keep it in the door of the freezer. That way, I just grab a couple out during the winter and toss them in the skillet. I've never had them go bad - but, then, they never last too long.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 2:02:26 PM PDT
Tasia,
I wasn't a Zappa fan, either. And I LOVED Cream! And Jefferson Airplane.
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 2:04:32 PM PDT
Hi Darlene!
Welcome to a fellow quilter!
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 2:08:59 PM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nakshi_kantha1.JPG

Tasia,
I have never heard of Kantha quilts! I looked it up and wonder if the link above is something like what you're doing.
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 2:55:54 PM PDT
thank you so much or the welcoming note...i have always loved to read, but am a very picky reader, and since my husband died, i go to bed at night hoping a new author has been born overnight, but unfortunately doesn't happen..i am a mystery fan also, but also like good history/thrillers(not far out..sanford)..really anything with a good storyline..i had just discovered Philip Kerr, and have read most of his books..i also just finished The Girl who Kicked the Hornets nest..I haven't read the first 2..i love to sit back and read all of this post..it seems like abig happy family and i always learn something....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 3:01:53 PM PDT
thanks.. have made and quilted several quilts..my daughter designs them,puts them together and then i quilt ..what is kantha quilting?..hope you feel better...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 3:26:59 PM PDT
Keefer,

You are making the miserable pain from my early morning root canal worse by taking your name in vain like that. Just because I'm a goody-two-shoes doesn't make me a person to emulate. Your liveliness and brilliance far outshine that of most people and I am unaminous in that (as spoken by Mollie Sugden in the person of Mrs. Betty Slocombe on one of my favorite British sitcoms, ARE YOU BEING SERVED.

Speaking of the Brits, has anyone watched A PLACE OF EXECUTION by Val McDermid on Netflix Streaming? It was originally shown on PBS as a Masterpiece Classics presentation. We thought it was incredibly well done as most British television productions seem to be. Not only that, but it did the book proud I'm pleased to say.

Linda S.,

A smart move to get that attic fan replaced. I'd have one in this old house in a New York minute, but the attic is finished as a bedroom so that wouldn't be possible. We are without air conditioning of any sort right now, alas. Unfortunately central air is not on the cards because without central heating there is no ductwork present.

Before the old single-pane windows were replaced throughout, there was a window unit in the master bedroom. Not because it was needed there but because the only window where a unit would fit was that window. We looked into a ductless heat pump arrangement, but no one installs them around here so I guess we'll wing it this summer.

Mike,

We Lindas are used to being part of a chorus as well. In the library where I mend books, there were four of us at one time, but two have retired. Since I'm a volunteer I will be there for as long as they will have me. Who knew that mending books would be what I am best at?

Linda Marie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 3:46:19 PM PDT
Funny, Linda Marie, but retirement showed me what I'm best at....doing nothing. I'm almost management potential and I have the best boss ever! A friend said the only thing wrong with doing nothing is you don't know when you're finished. That hasn't bothered me so far.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:00:00 PM PDT
Mike,

I am also one of the retired folks who is pleased to be unfettered and unstressed. It's great to be doing my own thing at my own pace these days. But then I was never a driven, ambitious sort of person to begin with so my sometimes slothful days suit me right down to the ground.

Linda Marie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:42:26 PM PDT
Linda Marie,
I've had great jobs in my life, but none paid enough to live on, and none had retirement until the last incredibly boring job I got and kept for 22 years. On my last day, I walked in and they had cake and cookies and punch. The boss (who tried daily to get me fired) said, "We've decided for your going-away present that we'll give you your last day off."
I said thank you, turned and walked out the door, leaving the punch and cake on the table. When the door closed behind me, 22 years disappeared like smoke and I haven't thought of that job since.
Mike
(on a positive note, I wrote three novels and countless songs while there. I may have said this before -I do that-, but it occurred to me that if Necessity is the Mother of Invention then Boredom must be the Father)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:54:58 PM PDT
Jacquie says:
Linda Marie

When I was in high school I worked in the local library. Mending books was one of my favorite chores and since I was low on the totem pole it was a job I was frequently given. I wonder if methods of mending have changed in 50+ years.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:16:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 7:21:12 PM PDT
Mike - I love the mother and father of invention - that is really true.

Kathy Delaney - a woman after my own heart - I liked Jefferson Airplane too. What about Procol Harem and sixties soul? How about 30's Blues? On another note entirely, when I go back to the crewel bedspread (I took a little break after huge progress) I may need advice on quilt tying as I have never done this and want to add batting and a backing at least to the middle. I will check the kantha site. What I know of it so far is that it reminded me in ways of the original crazy quilting. In its original form, kantha quilting used other worn out textiles for piecing and then embroidred on the quilts - in their case complex running stitch figures as opposed to the ornate seam treatments. I hope to combine fabric and technique from both.

To the Chorus of Lindas - C'mon ladies - none of you are that goody-goody or you wouldn't put up with my outlandish statements.

Wow, everybody must really hate their jobs and that is too bad. It makes me want to quote Marx on the disenfranchisement of the worker and separation of the worker from the products of his labor - but I will refrain. I remember the stress that a corporate job brought with it - When I was getting ready to go out on long-term disability because I had cancer and it was thought to be pretty close to terminal people were actually jealous of me because I wasnt going to have to work anymore. AND SAID SO.

OK, it did p*ss me off at the time too because being dead before 40 wasn't looking so great but I was not so self-absorbed that I couldn't see that there was something really wrong when people genuinely felt this way. At the time I was so grateful to have clawed my way back into the middle class that I was glad for my corporate job and have reason to remain so - but illness has allowed me to explore talents that would have remained fallow had my life gone differently. However, the converse is also true and larger, splashier talents have gone fallow because I don't have the energy or strength to develop them.

I went out and got a massage today and met a great guy (gay I hasten to add as when I re-read that line during editing I realized that it conveyed a false impression) - I will tell the story tomorrow as I am now fading and have some pain but it was a little bit of a kismet and also fell into the category of taking care of myself during treatment. I usually go to the massage school in salt lake, but once you have driven an hour each way (and i'm not up to that right now) it kind of takes away the purpose of the massage.

Where is Mr. B - did he tell us he was going to go on a trip that involved riding? Or is he just MIA.

Sympathizing with your Root Canal Linda Marie - and I have read A PLACE OF EXECUTION and I think I may have streamed it at some point too, but I am going to check it out tonight and see if it rings a bell.

For those who stream and like Jane Austen, I had some mindless fun with LOST IN AUSTEN where a modern girl is planted in Pride and Prejudice - and sends the story careening wildly off track. And Mr. Collins is grosser than you ever imagined.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:23:14 PM PDT
Tasia,
I just put LOST IN AUSTEN on my streaming list. Looks like fun!
Hope you're pain free soon!
Kathy

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:31:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 7:36:46 PM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Tasia, Mike, Linda M and all:

I can vouch that Linda M. is NOT as virtuous as she pretends. I have heard too many stories--she has taken Shakespeare's "Assume a virtue if you have it not," to heart.*

Linda M, I don't think you're slothful with all of the yard work, cooking, cleaning, volunteer work you do. Slothful is to be found at my house.

Tasia, we do cluck-cluck about some of your statements. There's an email chain where we comment to each other, can you BELIEVE Tasia said THAT??? Just kidding, of course.

Can't wait for the "great guy" story. I'll get my iced coffee ready tomorrow morning and be waiting by my computer. I love a little kismet or romance or whatever.

Linda M, was A PLACE OF EXECUTION graphic at all? The book sorta was, and I was nervous about watching the movie.

Tasia, only 29% are engaged with their work. That's the statistic--hopefully that will change. Your co-workers sound strange.
Weird they would say that to you.

Mike, I would have loved to have been your boss. But you wouldn't have to do any work--of course it sounds like you didn't do much there anyway as you wrote so many novels and sons--but I would have been laughing at your remarks too much to get much work done, asked you play for the other employees etc. Love how you walked out on your boss and the cake and balloons.

Mr. B is probably eating blueberry pie right now out of the Trader Joe's container as we write.

Gawd, it's too hot to do much of anything here. 2 more days of it.

*Just joking about Linda M's tawdry past, or am I?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:53:19 PM PDT
A Chorus of Lindas. I like that.

Now what would a group of Mike's be called?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:12:32 PM PDT
Anna,

A medley of Mikes? a melange? a motley?

Linda S.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:17:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 10:26:58 PM PDT
I was going to go with a Minyan of Mikes - or would there have to be 12 or 13 of them?

Keefer - yes, maybe my co-workers were strange, but more than one said this to me and from different realms and departmentsand independently of each other. However, a friend from outside the corporate world once commented "Boy, you do work in a snake-pit don't you?" when I was relating an entirely different story. The workplace politics were very hard for me - mostly because I suc*ed at them. The best I ever managed was to avoid the ultimate predation.

Kathy - let me know what you think of Lost in Austen when you get around to it. I am off to look at that Kantha site you reference. Edited to add: Wow - that is quite a quilt and I wish I could get a close-up to see if it is all the traditional running stitch that is used. This seems a bit more ornate than kantha usually is which is why I was thinking of combining kantha with crazy quilting - and combining eastern and western fabrics in my own melange of techniques- though all of this is still in the idea hopper and development phase.

Darlene - I am going to look up Phillip Kerr and see what he is all about. Any favorites?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:54:29 PM PDT
Anna,
A group of Mikes sounds like a boy band to me!
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:56:41 PM PDT
I like Medley of Mikes. He is certainly music to our ears!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 11:02:41 PM PDT
Tasia and Darlene,
I have thoroughly enjoyed Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. But I have to say, for me, listening to audio is MUCH better than reading the page. I got caught up on the German military ranks. Listening to someone else read it is soooo much easier!
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 11:03:14 PM PDT
Or is that Melody of Mikes?
Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 11:18:27 PM PDT
A Medley Melody of Mikes!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:17:51 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
A Mashup of Mikes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:22:24 AM PDT
A catastrophe of Mikes?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:36:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 5:45:26 AM PDT
I vote with a medley of Mikes.

Speaking of which, iTunes caught me this morning and I bought a blues compilation of early Sun records stars - I am looking forward to it, but I miss the days of cds a bit. You had something to hold in your hand - even for the bargain price of $7.99. So, it will be an early fifties blues day. And a day of errands - I seem to be feeling well enough to run some. Bummer - but I can't leave everything to mom.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions