Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Seeking An Excellent Series-Suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 200 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:40:52 AM PDT
It sounds like Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:04:16 PM PDT
Jpp says:
Thanks for your help. I will check in to it and hopefully it is the one I am looking for.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:42:11 PM PDT
Here are some of my favorites- Laurie R. King (Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell characters-except for The Pirate King); James O. Born (police procedural); Steve Hamilton (excellent); and Dana Stabenaw (excellent). Extra nod to Hamilton as the location of his series is my home state of Michigan. I highly recommend these authors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:41:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 16, 2012 6:58:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:24:05 AM PDT
D. Everetti says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:41:34 AM PDT
John Lescroart. His Hunt/Hardy et al
series is excellent

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:52:02 AM PDT
Panngpeter and D. Everett, whether readers of this forum mind author self-promotion or not isn't the issue. The fact is, Amazon has a policy against self-promotion in any discussion forum except for the Meet Our Authors forum, which may be found here: If you forget to bookmark the Meet Our Authors forum, you can always find it by looking for a link in the list of Most Active Community Forums at the bottom of any discussion group page.

Readers generally click on the "report abuse" button when authors make self-promotional posts on these discussion threads. Amazon then deletes the posts. Authors who make a habit of self promotion may be banned from posting. It's a good idea to delete self-promotional posts before Amazon does it for you.

Readers often frequent the Meet Our Authors forum, and the author community there can be helpful with ideas about marketing.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:37:25 AM PDT
M. Y. T. Lee says:
I love David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series, he and his dog, Tara, if you like lite mysteries. Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor series is very well written but too depressing for me, I can only read it once in a while. If you are a dog lover, I highly recommend Spencer Quinn, his Chet/Bernie series is absolutely lovely. Then there Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series, it's based in Germany during the Second World War, I can't praise it highly enough. Lawrence Sanders's Sin series is also good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:39:45 AM PDT
D. Everetti says:
Maine Colorinal

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. I was just responding to the reccomendation request and I did add a couple of authors I have enjoyed in the genre requested. My post was not to sell books since I stated both were free.

Again sorry if I offends anyone.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 4:31:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 5:13:34 PM PDT
Shanter says:
I highly recommend Emma Lathen (New York), and Dell Shannon (a.k.a. Elizabeth Linington),, particularly the Luis Mendoza ones (Los Angeles). Also in Los Angeles, Lew Archer mysteries by Ross MacDonald, (they were written starting in the 1940s, so the early ones have some glaringly out-of-date attitudes, but good stories).

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:54:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 18, 2012 11:16:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 8:10:41 AM PDT
EagleWeng says:
Capital Kill (a Jeff Trask Legal Thriller)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:31:00 PM PDT
Rick says:
You can't go wrong with "Capital Kill" by Marc Rainer. It's easy to find books about huge scope federal crimes and courtroom thriller/drama...but it is like finding a needle in a haystack to find someone who has "been there done that" as a Federal Prosecutor. To add icing to the cake (of great writing); am a former resident of Washington DC where it takes place, and every nook and cranny is described perfectly as are the perfectly jaded characters who have to solve some very violent (very real feeling because chances are these were real crimes....or close to the real thing). It's like apples and oranges reading a book by someone who has "done the research" and someone who has "stood on that stage many times. Rainer has stood on that stage many times and one can tell after page one and it ends way too soon. Two thumbs up.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 9:12:34 PM PDT
Catharine says:
Gary Ponzo has a series out about an FBI agent who deals with terrorist only. The Nick Bracco series. Awesome, Awesome, Awesomes series of page turning on the edge of your seat books. Read them in order. A touch of deceit(1) A touch of revenge.(2) A touch of greed.(3) do not read these out of order. It will ruin it for you. I can't wait for the next book. Ponzo has another series out so I guess will try hat next.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:46:13 AM PDT
cave76 says:
Val McDermid

Michael McGarrity ('sort of' like Tony Hillerman (Southwest locale) but different and I think just as good)

And for something entirely different but I loved it:

The Devotion of Suspect X
by Keigo Higashino, Alexander O. Smith (Translator)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 11:03:55 AM PDT
I enjoyed this series but find the premise rather unrealistic: a 6'5" former army investigator who can whip 10 men at a time and travels around the country with only a toothbrush. Yet, the action and character development must hold my attention. I've read them all....

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 11:50:44 PM PDT
Some of my favorite mystery series authors and main character(s): Vince Flynn-protagonist Mitch Rapp, elite counterterrorism operative; J. A. Jance-protagonist J. P. Beaumont, Washington State Attorney's Special Homicide Investigation Team; John Sanford-protagonist Lucas Davenport, St. Paul PD; Tony Hillerman-protagonists Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn, Navajo Tribal Police; Elizabeth George-protagonist Detective Thomas Lynley, Scotland Yard; Kathy Reichs protagonist Temperence Brennan, forensic anthropologist at U of North Carolina and Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaries et de Medicine Legale Quebec; Charles Todd-protagonist Detective Inspector Ian Rutledge, Scotland Yard and WWI vet; Margaret Truman-protagonists Mackenzie Smith, attorney and Annabel Reed, art gallery owner; Martha Grimes-protagonist Inspector Richard Jury, Scotland Yard; Ngaio Marsh-protagonist Inspector Roderick Alleyn, London Metropolitan Police. Then there's Dorothy L. Sayers and her Lord Peter Wimsey, a toff and amateur sleuth.
Marsh and Sayers are the only non-American writers. There's a mix of male and female writers, some alive and still writing, others deceased, and some Brit sleuths. I've heard great reviews of William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Conner series, and will start on them as soon as I finish about a dozen other mysteries stacked and waiting, plus a couple more Charles Todd/Ian Rutledge arriving via library on Kindle.
Thanks for asking the question. The response has given me some names of authors I am not acquainted with, and will now explore.
Dick Francis, another favorite author, wasn't truly a series writer. The majority of his novels revolved around horses and horse racing themes (he was a jockey).
If you are so inclined, read bios on the authors, just for background. Interesting and diverse!

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 12:33:02 AM PDT
Just finished reading Raymond Chandler's books. Especially liked The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye. He is a master of the simile and the noir genre.

Elmore Leonard writes crime and westerns. Like most older novels the action moves through the dialogue. His characters are deep, cool and often despicable. Loads of fun.
Your reply to Amazon Customer's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 6:54:38 AM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Jacquelyn - have you tried Louise Penny? I think you'd love her stuff, Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel is the first in the series. I also recently started Craig Johnson's series and it's pretty good, the first is The Cold Dish: A Walt Longmire Mystery.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:31:02 AM PDT
Susan-Thank you for your suggestions. I will look for the authors you mentioned, especially CI Gamache.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:33:15 AM PDT
Leslie-I've read some Chandler and will find Leonard. He sounds familiar. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:52:36 AM PDT
cave76 says:
To my tastes, a person can't go wrong reading Elmore Leonard! (I had to stop myself from adding more exclamation points after the sentence)

If Leonard sounds familiar----- several of his books/stories have been made into movies or TV series

From Wiki:
"Among his best-known works are Get Shorty, Out of Sight, Hombre, Mr. Majestyk and Rum Punch, which was filmed as Jackie Brown. Leonard's short stories include ones that became the films 3:10 to Yuma and The Tall T, as well as the current TV series on FX, Justified."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 9:16:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2012 9:19:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 9:47:11 PM PDT
Aha! Lightbulb. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:17:49 AM PDT
Ridley Pearson most definitely still writes. He diverged for several years into Peter and the Starcatchers (written with Dave Barry--the play based on the book just won five Tony Awards) and the Kingdom series .. But he's back with an espionage series, starting with The Risk Agent, an international espionage thriller, based on his time living in China.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  200
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions