100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Seeking An Excellent Series-Suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 200 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 24, 2012 11:57:08 AM PDT
Jim C says:
Don't care for grit and gore? Then take a look at Cleansed by Fire and Murder a Cappella. Not gritty. Oh, and no "mushy romance." So, maybe they will fit your needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:58:04 AM PDT
Thank you, Peter. Ridley Pearson and I must have lost each other around the time of his divergence, but I'm glad he's back in the suspense/thriller genre! :) I really did love his books when I was growing up; unlike many authors (whose books I still read and enjoyed), he was always able to evoke feelings of fear, suspense, surprise, etc, at least for me. I think he's a very good writer. I'll have to check out the works he did that you mentioned (that are the basis of a work up for the Tony now), as I have actually not heard of them. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:00:44 PM PDT
Jim C says:
No Grit and gore? No mushy romance? Try Clenased by Fire and Murder a Cappella. Good mysteries without the grit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 2:35:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 2:36:42 PM PDT
Glad you liked my post, Lovin' Books. Ridley Pearson's latest work definitely merits another look.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 9:27:25 AM PDT
Frank says:
Good to see another Gary Ponzo reader on this board. I agree! Great Stuff!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 5:33:10 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
Colin Dexter...the Inspector Morse series (as seen on PBS)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:53:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 2:54:14 PM PDT
BarbaraJean says:
One person mentioned Michael McGarrity--I came to his books by reading Hard Country which is his latest book, first and I am pleased I did. Hard Country tells the story of Kevin Kerney's ancestors who came to New Mexico in the 1880's and settled there when there were few people in the entire state. I liked the book so much I started reading his Kevin Kerney books from the first to the last which is the best way to read therm. Kerney was chief of detectives for the city of Santa Fe when he is severely wounded in a gun battle and the stories go from there. Having lived for a time in New Mexico I loved reading about the area as descriptions of the state made the stories richer. Mr. McGarrity allows his main character to have a personal life that grows and changes. The author doesn't make the mistake of having his main character only go from solving one case after another. Before I read Hard Country I had not heard of this author and am not sure why as he is extremely readable. Hard Country ends with Michael (Kevin,s father) still a young boy. I think there is a lot yet to learn and am sure the author is working on a sequel to Hard Country. I am hopeful he goes on with Keven's adventures also as there are still stories to be told there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:46:23 PM PDT
cave76 says:
Perhaps I was the person that mentioned McGarrity--- might have been others also. I lived in New Mexico for a few years and after having read Hillerman's novels and after he died I found McGarrity. I'm sure that almost everyone will love his books----I think I've read all of them but maybe I should check.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:44:39 PM PDT
not a a series...yet... but check out d. leonard freeston's The Sixth Extinction.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:42:16 AM PDT
Amber Fox says:
I agree with some other posts that Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series is very good, starting with the Black Echo. Also, good is Archer Mayor's Joe Guenther series, the first book being Open Season. A good woman sleuth series is Sabena Stone's Rachel Christie Mysteries, the first book Murder by the Clock.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 6:29:29 AM PDT
Kate Atkinson's books are my vote. The titles alone are awesome... "Started Early, Took my Dog," "When Will There be Good News?" As an author myself, she writes the way I want to--with suspenseful narratives that are well written and blessingly void of cliche!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 6:39:52 AM PDT
Jo says:
Heaven Help Us by Jo Macleod - very different suspense if you can take the mushy romance at the beginning, based in Ireland at the turn of the century, a true life murder uncovered today???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 12:49:35 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Trying the McGarrity books.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:52:11 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Western mysteries--

Some of my favorites are Steven F. Havill's Posadas County books. I think I prefer the earlier--Bill Gastner first as deputy, then sheriff, but they're a lot of fun. Not much in the way of gore or horror, and I've loved Bill for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 1:10:08 PM PDT
If a person likes the Posadas County novels, then take a look at the work of Craig Johnson and Sheriff Walt Longmire. The setting is Wyoming.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:45:30 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
I haven't tried Posadas County books but I'm really enjoying Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire series. CJ Box's Joe Pickett series about a game warden in Wyoming is good too!

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:48:42 PM PDT
I'd also recommend J. A. Jance's Sheriff Joanna Brady series, set out west.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:09:57 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Jance has two series (which intertwine in one book), Joanna Brady in the south-west, and J.P. Beaumont up in the Seattle area, and a handful of standalones that I can almost universally not stand, but other people seem to. All but one of the last Beaumont's seem pretty good. (The last one of those I read did have what I thought was an awful boo-boo on the subject of hypnosis, at least according to what I've read. Says the person whose experience is almost entirely from reading mysteries.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:17:36 PM PDT
L. K. says:
Ditto to appreciation for Michael Connelly and the Harry Bosch series. I actually think his non-
Harry Bosch books are ever better. One warning: Black Echo is a little long. Don't be discouraged. It has a surprise ending that is worth the wait. Other series of note: Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware, Henning Mankell's Wallander, Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme, Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon and Nelson Demille's John Corey are wonderful series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 4:10:20 PM PDT
dgstone says:
If no one's mentioned Reginald Hill's many books featuring detectives Dalziel and Pascoe, I will. Hands down my favorite mysteries (british), and I read a lot of them. Witty, great characters, wonderful dialogue, interesting crimes/solutions. Peter Lovesey's Diamond mysteries are really good,too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 4:57:15 PM PDT
The Chain Locker (Mike Ryan / Naval Investigative Service Mysteries)A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight Mysteries)A couple suggestions - The Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton, set in the upper penninsula of michigan (maybe too close to Canada for your tastes, but still, several good reads). McKnight's an ex-cop, reluctant sometimes private eye and perennial pain in the ass to Roy Mavin, the chief of police in the 'Soo' (Sault St. Marie).

Or try The Chain Locker, the first in a series of nautical mysteries set in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Mike Ryan, the protagonist, is an ex-Navy pilot with a past, trying to make a go in the Naval Investigate Service. He's reluctantly teamed with Roya Solomon, an Iraqi American congressional assistant from Detroit, to get to the bottom of the death of an Arab-American sailor on the Norfolk Navy base soon after the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom. For $2.99, you can't go wrong.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 5:25:50 PM PDT
An older series, take a look at the works of Jack DuBrul when he was writing his own work. He now does collaboration with Clive Cussler on one of his many series. But DuBrul's own work was really pretty good in the thriller genre.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 7:45:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 8:01:39 AM PDT
Any ideas of where to go after Lindsey Davis, Dick Francis, Robert Parker (early series), Emily Brightwell, Kate Kingsbury, Kate Atkinson, Laura Lipman, Jennifer Crusie etc. if wit and a great storyline are top priority?

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:36:15 AM PDT
I would recommend the Rilynne Evans series. The First book it Delusions with Murder. Delusions with Murder (A Rilynne Evans Mystery) I couldn't put it down, and it kept me guessing until the end. I can't wait for the release of the next one next month! One of the best ones I have read in a while. Also the Nell Sweeney Mysteries. It is a completed series that really draws you in and closes out nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 2:06:17 PM PDT
Bettie cheek says:
anything by Thomas C00k--rather dark but human and haunting
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  200
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions