Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery books where the reader doesn't know

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 9:34:54 AM PDT
MoGi says:
Hello all. I am hoping some of you mystery readers can help me out. I've recently been trying some new authors and have remembered how much I used to love mysteries. The problem so far is that in randomly picking folks to try, I'm getting some good stories, but NOT what I consider a mystery. Mostly I'm running across detective novels in which they blow the identity of the perp either in part or fully, leaving me with an entire book of watching someone else struggling to figure out what I already know. Not a bad read when I'm in the mood for something light, but what I'm missing are the stories where you had to puzzle it out along with the "hero" of the tale.

I don't care about the details of the main character. Male, female, FBI agent, forensic scientist, or librarian, it matters not. I will say I'm not a big fan of the fluffy mystery fiction centering around something like knitting, baking, eating chocolate, or owning a cat. Again, not putting this down as a light read, but I am looking something to keep me interested in figuring out what is going on. Suspensful, "meatier" if you will ;-)

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 1:18:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 30, 2012 2:02:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:10:07 PM PDT
It sounds like you want is what used to be called a "fair play" mystery, meaning a whodunnit where you're given all the clues and should be able to figure it out as you go. They don't seem to be very fashionable these days, which is odd.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series is generally known for being fair-play mysteries and there is a Nero Wolfe fair-play mystery award. Here are a few recent winners:

Brad Parks: Faces of the Gone: A Mystery
Joseph Teller: The Tenth Case
Jonathan Santlofer: Anatomy of Fear (Harper Fiction)
Julia Spencer-Fleming: All Mortal Flesh: A Rev. Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery
Tess Gerritsen: Vanish (Jane Rizzoli, Book 5)
Lee Child: The Enemy
Walter Mosley: Fear Itself
S. J. Rozan: Winter and Night
Linda Fairstein: The Deadhouse
Laura Lippman: Sugarhouse

Some older fair-play mystery award winners that I particularly enjoyed:

Laura R. King: A Monstrous Regiment of Women
Robert Barnard: A Scandal in Belgravia
John Dunning: Booked to Die
Amanda Cross: Death in a Tenured Position

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:15:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2012 6:15:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:31:11 PM PDT
Why was my post deleted? I was only trying to tell this person some authors I have found enjoyable

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 7:26:14 AM PDT
I didn't see your post, but if you included a book of your own, it would be deleted by Amazon, since they do not permit self-promotion outside the Meet Our Authors forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 9:08:49 AM PDT
Thank you for replying to my question. I am new in here so as with all newbies you make mistakes! I wanted to tell of some mysteries I have enjoyed reading lately on my Kindle.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:15:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 9:16:51 AM PDT
I found the series by Edie ClaireNever Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery Series) to be entertaining and keeps you wondering who the killer/killers might be. I am a longtime Agatha Christie fan THE COMPLETE MYSTERY NOVELS OF AGATHA CHRISTIE Vol 1 (Special Edition) THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF ALL TIME AGATHA CHRISTIE EARLY WORKS (Hercule Poirot: ... Agatha Christie Complete Works Kindle). Hers is a tough act to follow but I have found some others that hold my attention. Bill Crider A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes Mysteries, No. 10) and all the Sheriff Rhodes series. You get attached to the characters and there is always a long list of suspects.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 10:01:34 AM PDT
Dee D says:
I got the first Edie Claire/Leigh Koslow ebook yesterday, it is currently FREE on kindle so I am going to try it. Lots of people have recommended it so here's hoping it's a good one. I'll review it after finishing the ebook. Agatha is my all-time favorite mystery writer and you're right, she really set the standard high! It's tough to find a good whodunit that isn't a formula or too easy to guess.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 11:28:50 AM PDT
C. Henry says:
My favorite mysteries of this type have always been the Ellery Queen mysteries, both their short stories and the novels. I also enjoy the way the stories' settings, style, and time periods changed with the times as the writers aged. The only problem is, none of them seem to be in print anymore; and I'm not sure if I've collected them all from used book stores.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:30:47 PM PDT
Dee D says:
C. Henry, there are a few Ellery Queen books available on Kindle. Calamity Town is my favorite (so far!). Have you read it? A great little twisted ending. The classic mystery writers are still the best, in my humble opinion.

Calamity Town

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 4:00:07 PM PDT
Try Julie Ramson's, Maggie Flaherty Murder Mystery Series ... I've read #1 to #6 and really enjoy them. She does keep you guessing

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 9:05:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 9:06:34 AM PDT
Amber Fox says:
I read a lot of mysteries and I am in the same boat. I've read some old established authors and some newbies. The ones I like are
Revenge (A Travis Mays Novel)
The Only Suspect
Murder by the Clock (A Rachel Christie Mystery 1) (Rachel Christie Mystery Series) or this series
Death by a Honeybee
Some other series are
The Joe Gunther series by Archer Mayor
or any by Michael Connelly
Hope this helps. I'll read some of those suggested by other readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:23:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2012 9:38:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:23:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2012 9:41:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:10:44 PM PDT
MontclairMD says:
The biggest surprise ending I've read, which you could actually figure out if you were paying attention, is the LA noir mystery Good Morning, Darkness, about a woman's arm that washes up on Venice Beach. (Great beach, read btw.) It is a good cross between the old fashioned murder mystery, where you had to figure it out, and modern mysteries, which tend to be thrillers more than mysteries.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 5:40:42 PM PDT
I enjoyed historical mystery, The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch, which doesn't reveal the villain until close to the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:44:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 6:47:41 AM PDT
MoGi says:
Thanks Maine Colonel! I figured there was a term for it but didn't know what they were called. Thank you all for the suggestions. I work in a decent sized library system, and I have recently purchased a Kindle, so all of this really helps.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 9:43:53 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
You might try Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache/Three Pines series. Very well written and intense, and usually a challenge to figure out. The series begins with Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel. Set in Quebec.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 5:13:45 PM PDT
Take a look at February's Files. It's a true mystery, far from obvious.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 1:41:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 1:43:27 PM PDT
S. Waas says:
Walter Mosley's private detective series seem to mostly fit your requirements.

As I understand, you're looking for a story where the "bad guy's" identity isn't revealed too soon. If so, check out Mosley.

I review mysteries and another two new books I can recommend that fit this bill is "Midwinter Blood" by Mons Kallentoft (it's a modern Swedish police thriller), and "Eyes Wide Open" by Andrew Cross (this is a modern American mystery). Also, "The Innocent" by David Baldacci (this is a spy thriller). Each of these books holds the "secret" ending till the last bits. And all are very good.

Far as my own mystery novels go (a series of modern American private detective books), I sort of write "why-dunnits" instead of "who-dunnits", where you can pretty much guess the baddies soon but the story is in the twining of the drama with my detective's struggles with his own conscience, and so on). These wouldn't qualify under your stipulations.

Oh, yeah, one more, "The Boy Who Shoots Crows", by Randall Silvis, a modern American psychological murder mystery, very "upscale" in literary aspects, akin to Faulkner or Hemingway but also brilliant. Top ratings for this book.

No, I don't have any personal financial interests in any of the books I named. I did review them and thought they were all good. And whether they're on Kindle I don't know. But all do meet your stipulation of not revealing the "bad guy" till the end, and all are first rate reads.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:25:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 11, 2012 3:35:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:27:16 PM PDT
Anne: Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 8:19:05 PM PDT
mamie says:
Edie Claire books are a wonderful read..I am looking for help on some authors whose books are set in bookstores...can anyone help?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 5:49:11 AM PDT
Here's a good starting point:

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/JobCats/Books.html
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions