Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mystery of the Month for 1st October 2012 TURNING ANGEL by Greg Iles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 236 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 11:07:05 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Barbara Lane
Proudly presents this months selection. Group discussion starting from 1st OCT2012

The Co Hosts for this month are Kathy Delaney & Barb Lane

Anyone is welcome to join in. So rush out to the library and borrow it, or buy it from Amazon, or down load the audio version from Audible.

Our last Group book Discussion was very successful and we had a lot of fun. So come and join in!!!!!

Authors are welcome to join in the condition they do not talk at all about their own book.

We are here to talk about TURNING ANGEL only.

No promotion of another thread or blogg is welcome. We are a branch of Barb's Books & Chat. We are here to discuss the agreed book, any other chat should move to Barb's Books & Chat (as long as it follows the guidelines)

Barb Down Under

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 4:07:53 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Anyone who is joining this discussion please post to show an interest.\
Barb

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:36:53 PM PDT
I'm there!
Kathy

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:21:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:29:00 PM PDT
I will be there but later in October. I will be in Vancouver until Oct.11 and not near a computer. This is a very good book though. I urge people to read it and comment.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:51:03 AM PDT
Hope everyone is reading! We will need full participation!
Kathy

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 6:49:26 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Barb & Kathy:

Will get a copy this weekend.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:41:12 PM PDT
Barb and Kathy,

As soon as I finish THE CROW TRAP by Ann Cleeves, I'll start on TURNING ANGEL. I promise.

Linda S.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:14:01 PM PDT
Hi, everyone,

This is a "bump" post to get us back up to the top of the page. Hope everyone is reading and getting ready for TURNING ANGEL, which begins in a few short days.

Linda S.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:44:55 PM PDT
I'm bumping, too. We slipped...
Kathy

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:19:58 AM PDT
Hey, folks,

We're almost to beginning discussion on TURNING ANGEL. Hope everyone's ready to go. This should get us back up to the top of the page.

Linda S.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 11:06:04 AM PDT
I'm bumping the thread up to keep it close to the BBC thread. We're just about there. Hope everyone is ready and eager to get talking.

Linda S.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 1:01:08 PM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Kathy and Barb~

I haven't finished the book yet--are you going to discuss the first portion of the book first, and then the middle to end? If so, let me know what pages or chapter the first part of the discussion will cover so I can speedily read up to that part.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 2:20:08 PM PDT
Keefer, just get busy! Listening to audio doesn't give us page numbers, I'm afraid. Once you get into it, you won't be able to stop!
Kathy

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 5:16:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 11:17:01 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Kathy:

You said, "Once you get into it, you won't be able to stop!"

So, you're saying basically this book is like the last bag of potato chips I encountered?

The last Italian man I...never mind. I'm downloading it on kindle as my library doesn't have it.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:49:42 AM PDT
I'm in

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:32:29 AM PDT
Magnolia,

Glad you're joining us. Welcome.

Linda S.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 4:24:38 PM PDT
Yes, Keefer! It is EXACTLY like that!
Kathy

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:55:14 AM PDT
Exactly like potato chips

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:08:52 AM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Magnolia,

WELCOME
I haven't finished it yet about 80% through.
We will only talk about the first half of the book.
Just in case some haven't finished the book yet.
boy oh boy there are a lot of points to discuss.
it's 10.10pm here and walk the dog time then bed
talk tomorrow. anyone can start it is officially 1st
I had a heavy weekend only 3 hrs sleep on saturday night
and I sure need sleep tonight.

Barb down Under

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:21:03 AM PDT
OK, Happy October 1! Let the discussion begin.

I have to admit right off the bat, though, I'm not that good about instigating discussion. We have experienced people on the list who are MUCH better than I am! So feel free to jump right in and help us out.

I'd like to begin by discussion Penn. What sort of fellow was he? We know his background as a lawyer-turned-author (remind us of anyone else?). But what about his character? Is he the sort of person you would like to know and maybe have dinner with? What is it about him you appreciate - or don't appreciate - and why?
Kathy

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:23:35 AM PDT
I used the fact you said 50% before to force myself to bed finally last night. Now I am at work.

First, book is very well written. Not a literary mystery, but very good. Wish I had read the earlier mystery he wrote with this character because a lot of spoilers, but, no matter, I will go back and read the author's earlier books.

Only complaint is a lot of the plot twists are foreseeable.

The "romantic" subplot is very amusing to me. Its parallels to the relationship of Drew and Kate are (so far) dramatic irony because Penn cannot really see them. Or is supposed to be that the difference is that Penn has the impulses and doesn't act?

The revelation about Drew and the oxycodone really changed my opinion of him.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:24:38 AM PDT
Is this the right way to discuss?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:36:47 AM PDT
Magnolia, all comments are welcome and "right!" We try to pose questions to start the exchange of ideas, but they certainly are not limiting. Feel free to expand on what you've already said - and others will join in.

Hmmm - I didn't see the foreseeable plot twists. I guess I don't "think" enough while I'm reading. I did expect certain things to happen and was surprised when they didn't happen the way I expected. So I guess I missed the boat! I rather liked Penn. I think I would enjoy an evening or lunch just to listen to him tell stories about Natchez! I wonder if Natchez is actually what is described in the book, or was Iles painting a totally romantic, unrealistic, picture of the town. Anyone ever visit there? Live there?
Kathy

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:57:32 AM PDT
Oh, I like Penn, his parents, and his daughter. Have already ordered the previous Penn and the one subsequent to Turning Angel. Thanks for introducing me.

I don't think I like Drew anymore.

And Iles plays fair by signaling the reader. Just seems obvious to me (e.g., the oxycodone, the deputy death.) Of course, I may be wrong in my prediction of the end and will have egg on my face when I finish!

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 9:52:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 9:53:37 AM PDT
Hi, everyone,

I'm not sure exactly how much I believe in Penn as a realistic person. His blind faith in Drew in the face of so much specific evidence seems almost incredibly naive. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and has feathers, the realistic person assumes it's a duck and not a disguised Australian cockatoo. Penn's a lawyer, he's a former very successful prosecutor; he's seen every kind of death and depravity, presumably including members of the upper classes who've done vile things. His willingness to continue to believe Drew's innocence as more and more negative revelations come just doesn't seem normal. I understand they're friends, but so much benefit of every doubt?

I don't know about Natchez and would love for someone who has lived there or knows about it to speak to the point.

Linda S.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  236
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions