Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Any suggestions for books for pre-teens ages 8-12?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 9:47:16 AM PDT
DailyReader says:
I would like to be able to purchase books for my grandkids that are age appropriate for pre-teens with updated versions of adventure, mystery series like the Nancy Drew or Hardy boys. Any suggestions? Pbviously I'm not up to date on what's popular for that age.

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:52:14 PM PDT
Brijoeire says:
My son is an avid reader. He's 10, so right in the middle of the age group you mentioned. His favourites include The Young Sherlock Holmes series, the Skulduggery Pleasant series and His Dark Materials. Just to name a few....

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:40:09 PM PDT
Ron Adams says:
One of the best YA mysteries I've read recently is Serial Street by Kevin E. Lake. Picture all your neighbors bearing an eerie resemblance to some of the most notorious serial killers of all time. Lots of excitement/adventure, not too intense for younger readers.

Ron Adams, Author

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:37:50 PM PDT
Timothy Holbrook and the Zombie Curse A promising new author that writes fun and interesting books for teens and adults alike without the gratuitous sex and violence. I recommend this one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 8:05:01 PM PDT
DailyReader says:
Thanks I will check those out.

Posted on May 25, 2011 4:18:45 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
The Sammy Keyes Mysteries are terrific. Appropriate for third grade (if they're good readers) on up. Sammy is a 12 year-old gir who lives with her grandmother in a Seniors' Only apartment building. Sammy is a spitfire! There are about 9 books in the series. They're really high interest for kids in elementary-through 7th grade. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 7:23:23 PM PDT
DailyReader says:
Those mysteries sound like a great idea as they might be more appropriate for their age. Thanks

Posted on May 25, 2011 7:43:27 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
Also, I teach elementary school, and the kids in 3rd-5th are REALLY into books by Rick Riorden. (sp?) He wrote the Lightning Thief (first in a series) and The Red Pyramid (also a series) The Red Pyramid is an adventure and involves Egyptian Gods. But if you're looking for mystery, Sammy Keyes is a great start!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 7:51:46 PM PDT
DailyReader says:
Thanks Shelly, I will trust your judgement on those books, I guess being "Grandma" is clouding mine, (but they are so young) :D

Posted on May 26, 2011 2:02:50 PM PDT
SheWhoWaits says:
I agree that the Sammy Keyes mysteries are wonderful. Some great stand-alone mysteries are the Westing Game by Eileen Raskin, The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler, and A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hillgartner. Also try the Shakespeare Stealer series by Gary Blackwood, and the two book series Detectives in Togas and The Mystery of the Roman Ransom by Henry Winterfeld. Of kids still read the Encyclopedia Brown series, too.

A lot of these are historical fiction mysteries. That's what I like. Try a couple and see if your grandchildren like them. No point giving them a whole bunch of books if the genre doesn't appeal to them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 8:26:47 AM PDT
DailyReader says:
Thanks for those suggestions, with all the feedback I should be able to order books that will be greeting with enthusiasm, and good for passing time this summer. :D

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:16:38 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Cat Royal mysteries (pretty sure that's it) about a young girl who experiences mysteries while living in a theater. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 4:47:18 AM PDT
My book "The Attic Above" is a tween murder mystery with a twist. You can find it here on amazon. Let me know what you think.
The Attic Above

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 6:14:29 AM PDT
TimeTravel21 says:
Try the Archibald Mercer (Colonial Detective Series). "The Burning Palace" is really good.

Posted on May 30, 2011 12:13:13 PM PDT
(NEW) - RAVENCRAFT: AND THE ELIXIR OF LIFE is a story of hidden truths and deception blended with a hint of Hawaiian mythology. Michael must weave his way through the chaos, escape shape shifters, mind travel to the past, save his family and still make it home for dinner.

Ravencraft: And the Elixir of Life (Volume 1)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:00:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 7:39:17 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 11:58:57 PM PDT
S. Riddle says:
Don't skip.... To Kill A Mockingbird__ Harper Lee... an absolute must read for a young adult!!!!

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 7:23:54 PM PDT
My granddaughter and I loved Eth Clifford's Mary Rose and Jo Beth books. I think she has also done a series for boys but I don't have a grandson. Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library (A Jo-Beth and Mary Rose Mystery)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 10:11:01 AM PDT
DailyReader says:
Thanks for all these suggestions, it is great to have such a selection to search through and it certainly helps to have first hand recommendations.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 12:42:46 PM PDT
Philip Pullman. His Dark Materials is a great trilogy but a little old, but his Sally Lockhart series are cracking Victorian, London based melodramas. Superbly written, gripping page-turners.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 2:18:36 PM PDT
You might check this site:

http://dailycheapreads.com/junior/

There are daily posts on some good bargains. I know I came across something in Amazon's Big Sale...but I can't think of the title right now. If I think of it, I'll come back and post on it. There was a Bobbsey Twins book (which is probably too young)...and something else. Dang it!

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 6:21:03 PM PDT
booklass says:
Not a mystery series, but definitely adventure.....Gerald Morris' series beginning with The Squire's Tale, about knights, lords, ladies, etc.. in the tradition of the Arthurian tales. Both my boys have read all of them, even my non-reader. They are humorous, and interesting enough that my oldest has read the series twice. When I worked in the children's section of the library, I recommended them, and I never had anyone say they didn't at least like them. One family had the WHOLE family reading them. Then they told another family, and we found that they were a hot commodity.
The Encyclopedia Brown series were my favorites growing up, but The A to Z Mysteries were very popular at the library when I worked there. I am not familiar with them personally. I've also heard very good things about Alane Ferguson's Forensic Mysteries. They seem to be relatively clean of profanity, etc... And interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 6:21:53 PM PDT
booklass says:
I have really enjoyed Rick Riordan's books...even though I am a few decades past 5th grade!

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:40:46 PM PDT
They Called It Moosicide (Denali Hawthorne Mysteries) is a murder mystery set in Anchorage Alaska. It's available on Kindle.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 5:45:54 AM PDT
I just finished Bella Street: The Secret Formula by Clare Havens. Very good, reminded me of Nancy Drew/ Hardy Boys series - fast paced. Perfect pick and current.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions