Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

mysteries featuring horses, stables, horse show

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 12:00:31 AM PST
I have lurked here on these boards and have LOADED my Kindle with some great mystery novels. I just finished Cart Before The Corpse and Hoof In The Grave which are set in the discipline of competitive carriage driving, I would like to find more mysteries with similar "horsey" themes and settings. No overload of gore please, and they have to be well written. This is my first post here so I am looking forward to hearing from the most well read group I know of. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:38:12 AM PST
You might try Dick Francis. He died but left us a lot of books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 6:10:58 AM PST
Thanks. My mother and I love him and his books are some of my fŕvorites.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:59:36 AM PST
Marjorie says:
There's quite a lot about horses and riding in Josephine Tey's classic, "Brat Farrar."

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 2:14:01 PM PST
lifewontwait says:
Try Rita Mae Brown's "Sister" Jane Arnold foxhunting mystery series--the first book is "Outfoxed."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 4:45:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2011 4:47:09 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 5:12:05 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I agree on the Dick Francis books. They're really good & they always involve horses (at least, I've never found one that didn't).

There's also the Sherlock Holmes story, "Silver Blaze," in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Horses and horse racing play the central role in that mystery.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:15:30 PM PST
fiain gael says:
Jody Jaffe does a series set in the competitive show jumping circuit. "Chestnut Mare Beware" is good. I also highly recommend(ok, I ADORE this series--promised myself I wouldn't use that word!) the Rita Mae Brown series with Sister Jane Arnold. The stories revolve around fox hunting in Virginia and are more horse-centered than her Sneaky Pie books. Jan Neuharth also has a series of fox hunter mysteries. Dick Francis novels are good--set in and around the English racing scene. Carolyn banks has a series based on an equine vet involved in competitive dressage. Toni Leland has several equestrian mysteries, though I haven't read them yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 10:54:15 AM PST
Thanks for the ideas! I've been looking for the Jaffe books but they don't seem to be available in Kindle edition. I guess I'll have to buy a REAL book! I have read and love the Rita Mae Brown stories and will try the others. Now I can read about riding when I am not riding - perfection!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 1:04:38 PM PST
Miss M says:
Hi - another lurker here. Still going through the new-Kindle, "look at all the shining free books! phase" - at least I hope it's a phase. Just ran across this freebie which looks very interesting and had to laugh at myself 'cause my first thought was "there was that thread on the mystery forum..."

The Hyperion Legacy (Danny Rawlings Mysteries Book 1)

Anyway, it does look good and I'm going to move it close to the top of the TBR stacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 2:15:32 PM PST
I am terrified of the freebies - the ones I downloaded were pure drivel - worth exactly what I paid for them, LOL!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 3:10:06 PM PST
Miss M says:
I understand exactly what you mean :). When I do look for bargains, I prefer the established publishers' price-drops. Am enjoying the spirit of the chase a bit though in looking through the indy/freebie stuff - where the professionalism of the cover, in my opinion, helps a lot and is part of what drew me to "Hyperion." I'll try to remember to come back with a mini-review.

Here's an interesting freebie though, a short story by Joseph Finder, well-known, normally published by St Martin's Press:
"Plan B: A Nick Heller Story"

I also really enjoy the "Liturgical Mysteries Series" by Mark Schweizer which are recommended in many threads throughout the forum. Here's the first one: The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mysteries)

Happy book searching for the New Year!

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 11:15:05 AM PST
Try Jane Smiley's HORSE HEAVEN. Not sure it's a mystery but I enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 6:51:33 PM PST
I had no idea that there was a Sherlock Holmes story with horses! I thought I had read them all, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 6:53:13 PM PST
i loved HORSE HEAVEN!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 6:54:41 PM PST
I am going to try that one, thanks. Do let me know what you think of HYPERION.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 4:35:24 AM PST
AmazingGrace: "I am terrified of the freebies - the ones I downloaded were pure drivel - worth exactly what I paid for them, LOL!"

The ones I've gotten that were horrible got tossed. Hey, it didn't cost me anything but a little time. I consider ordering a free book rather like ordering a sample of an expensive book. And, some of the free books have been entertaining and well worth reading. Now, when I pay $10 for a book and it gets tossed I'm bitter.

I'll give new authors a shot. It's the least, I, as a reader, can do to encourage them.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 10:57:47 AM PST
L. M. Keefer says:
Stuart Pawson had a stable in the background of his A Very Private Murder: A DI Charlie Priest Mystery.

His Charlie Priest detective is quite humorous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 11:21:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 11:26:49 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I've also picked up some good reads that were temporarily free. I read the samples, which helps me weed out the ones that are unreadable or that simply aren't to my taste.

Some good books I've gotten while they were free include Scriber by Ben Dobson (Fantasy), Stray (Touchstone) by Andrea Höst (SciFi) (which was the weakest book in the trilogy, IMO, but good enough that I bought the next one after finishing the first, then bought the third one as soon as it was published), Origin by J.A. Konrath (Thriller), The Noon God by Donna Carrick (Mystery), DEAD(ish) by Naomi Kramer (Paranormal humor), and Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell Mystery series) by Sylvia Nobel (Mystery), just to name a few. Of those, I thought the best ones were Scriber and The Noon God. (ETA: genres.)

Sure, there's a lot of dreck out there, but there are also a lot of good books that are made free for a short time. J.A. Konrath (also writes as Jack Kilborn) made a whole slew of his books free for a few days at the end of December, and I picked up several that looked like I would enjoy them.

ETA: And this doesn't include all of the great free books I've downloaded that are public domain -- like the Sherlock Holmes books, of which all but The Casebook are free & public domain in the U.S. They're all public domain in Canada, Australia, and other countries with life + 50 laws.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 1:26:51 PM PST
Amanda Peck says:
There's a (start, anyway) to a series featuring (I'd never heard of it before) competitive carriage driving.

THE CART BEFORE THE CORPSE (The Merry Abbot Carriage-Driving Mystery) Carolyn McSparren

Pretty good. (Closing in on, anyway) middle aged woman's dad is murdered. She goes to his new carriage driving school to try to settle the estate.

I'd class it good--as, will look for more from the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 3:52:27 PM PST
Cphe says:
I hope this suggestion is what you are looking for,
Tami Hoag - Dark Horse
The is a sequel but the name escapes me.
I read somewhere that the author is an equestrian herself and shows/competes etc

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 11:35:17 AM PST
Dick Francis's son Felix has picked up where dad left off. They wrote three or four together before
dad died. Think I saw one by Felix alone a while ago. They're not bad.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:11:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 12:18:39 PM PST
Here's another author you might be interested in. I just did an interview with her for my National Crime Fiction column on Examiner.com and she writes in a manner that is similar to Dick Francis. She's a former journalist (as is her protagonist) who's now writing novels. Edited for Death. I just checked and she's gotten all 4 and 5 start reviews on Amazon.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:19:08 AM PST
fleaBe says:
I really liked Jockeys and Jewels

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 6:40:00 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 17, 2012 5:17:19 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions