Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mysteries /Thrillers - Your Favorite Reads in 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2012 7:14:02 AM PST
Cluny says:
SPAMMING, SCHILLING, SELF PROMOTION etc. per Amazon are not allowed nor will be tolerated kindly here.

That having been said, what have been your outstanding /memorable good reads during the past twelve months? Please share.

My list would include in no specific order:
March Violets
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)

Worth reading but not on my very best list were :
Dead Simple
The Last Justice

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:41:23 AM PST
L. Burns says:
This year I "discovered" two series that have been around awhile but were new to me. Both of these were 5 star reads for me:

Still Life by Louise Penny
In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

I have to confess that I really liked Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl. No, the storyline really doesn't hold up when you go back and dissect it, but while I was reading it I was totally transfixed.

And I have to give Dog on It (Chet and Bernie Mysteries) by Spencer Quinn an 'honorable mention'. Not memorable perhaps, but definitely adorable and entertaining.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:15:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 9:17:15 AM PST
Cluny says:
L. Burns
I like the Spencer - Fleming series too. Sometimes plot in her books also have had plausibility issues also. I have STILL LIFE and rest of that series on my 2013 TBR list

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:02:23 AM PST
Pink Kitty says:
One book I read & could not put down was the Scarecrow by Connelly.
Thank goodness it was a weekend, I really did not go to bed that whole
weekend. It was that good. I was suprised as I was such a fan of
Harry Bosch, it did not have anything to do with him. Very good book.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:03:15 AM PST
Pink Kitty says:
Cluny,
I hope this adds to what you're trying to do. This is going to be a fun thread.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:57:51 AM PST
Cphe says:
I've thought long and hard about this -

Baby Shark - the whole series was wonderful. Quality writing/storyline all the way through

The Long Shooters - it was different - western historical mystery.

The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police) - intense and enjoyed the setting.

Special mention to.
The Ice Cage - A Scandinavian Crime Thriller set in the Nordic Winter (The Baltic Trilogy) for the setting
Still Life with Murder (Gilded Age Mysteries, No. 1) loved the whole series.
Cold Granite love the series - humour and grittiness

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 11:08:12 AM PST
L. Burns says:
<<I like the Spencer - Fleming series too. Sometimes plot in her books also have had plausibility issues also. >>

Most definitely, and it usually has something to do with Clare doing something utterly stupid. A good series but you do have to overlook a few things...

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:22:27 AM PST
Nancy says:
Hi Cluny,
What a great idea for a thread! I'm sure we'll add to our TBRs from this.
Some of my favorites were GONE GIRL, DEFENDING JACOB,BLEED FOR ME, CRIMINAL,
BROKEN HARBOUR, THE RACKETEER,VANISHING POINT, THE SECRET KEEPER.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:33:25 PM PST
What a nice idea. I was just putting together my list for another site, so I'm ready:

Reginald Hill: Woodcutter. So sad that Reginald Hill died, but he sure went out on a high note with this one, even though it's not a Dalziel/Pascoe book. If you like audios, this one had an excellent reader.

Philip Kerr: Prague Fatale (latest in the Bernie Gunther series). I love this series and never miss one.

Jo Nesbř: Phantom (latest in the Harry Hole series, set in Oslo).

Alan Furst: Mission to Paris. Excellent espionage book about an American film director in Paris shortly before WW2.

Christopher Fowler: The Memory of Blood: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery (Peculiar Crimes Unit Mysteries) and Bryant and May and the Invisible Code. I got to read (actually, listen to) the two most recent Bryant & May books within a couple of months of each other. This turned out to be lucky, because they are related in a subplot. This is another series with a particularly good audiobook reader.

Peter Robinson: Before the Poison. A standalone (i.e., not part of the Alan Banks series), and a with a little bit of a supernatural element.

I also read three debut mystery novels that were very promising: Leonard Rosen's All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincare), Gerald Jay's The Paris Directive and David Mark's The Dark Winter.

Like L. Burns, I also read Julia Spencer-Fleming's In the Bleak Midwinter. It was excellent, but I haven't gone any further in her series yet.

I'm a huge fan of Louise Penny's Three Pines/Armand Gamache series too. I re-did the entire series this year on audio (Ralph Cosham is an excellent reader). I thought the latest, The Beautiful Mystery, was very good, but not quite up to my favorites in the series, The Brutal Telling, Bury Your Dead and A Trick of the Light. One thing that really struck me while listening to the whole series was how Louise Penny planted seeds of plot developments way back in the beginning that play out over the whole series.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:56:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 1:57:40 PM PST
Cluny says:
Great suggestions so far. My complaint with Spencer -Fleming is that she has wider than normal gap between books and it doesn't mean better quality than perennial mystery writers. This series is best read sequentially.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:47:27 PM PST
Miss M says:
Great thread, Cluny.

My number one pick for any book this year is Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan.
Yes...it's technically probably not a 'true' detective/mystery story, but it does involve some suspense...and resolving a quest. Just a lovely, lovely book, IMO.

As I mentioned in the KBF, my two favorite, new-to-me, discoveries of the year are Gianrico Carofiglio's novels set in Bari and Peter Temple's Australian Jack Irish series
Involuntary Witness (Guido Guerrieri)
Bad Debts (Jack Irish)

Big fan of Scandinavian crime, but almost nothing stands out for me this year, *except* Jussi Adler-Olsen. I didn't even read The Absent One until last month because every time I looked at the synopsis I thought the crime looked too horrific - then I picked it up and was totally wrong. Very much enjoy the detective, his mind-set, & his `side-kick'.

Favorite in a series I already knew:
Bruno, Chief of Police/The Crowded Grave: A Mystery of the French Countryside (Borzoi Books) by Martin Walker

Favorite new-to-me series, runners-up:
Charlie Muffin/Charlie M by Brian Freemantle
Daniel Jacquot/The Waterman (Daniel Jacquot) by Martin O'Brien

Favorite indie discoveries:
Where the Devil Can't Go by Anya Lipska - set in London's Polish émigré community
Princes Gate (Frank Merlin) by Mark Ellis - WWII mystery involving Joseph Kennedy's Embassy

I'm probably leaving out something...

Anybody want to share their `Most Disappointing of the Year'?
*She asks, in the middle of reading the latest Susan Hill.* : 0

Fingers crossed for the new Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, Elly Griffiths, and Ann Cleeves coming up in the new year!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:55:41 PM PST
Miss M says:
Makes me think maybe another good thread topic would be: which series do you read/keep up with, even though the characters/settings/plots can irritate the heck out of you at times? For me, Peter James/Roy Grace would be in this category - if you did a drinking game based on every time Glenn calls him old-timer, old man, etc, you'd be blotto within the hour...JMO, ;)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:27:47 PM PST
Cluny says:
Miss Mittford
I am loving the choices, some really diverse and new names and books/series that many of us have not yet read. Then there are some favorites. I couldn't list Carofiglio as he was a 2011 read. Finishing Peter James latest book NOT DEAD YET if I can stay awake. Not bad, but not his best. It is consistent consensus that the last Susan Hill is a "skip it ".

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:40:02 PM PST
Cluny says:
Miss Mittford
I am loving the choices, some really diverse and new names and books/series that many of us have not yet read. Then there are some favorites. I couldn't list Carofiglio as he was a 2011 read. Finishing Peter James latest book NOT DEAD YET if I can stay awake. Not bad, but not his best. It seems to be a consistent consensus that the last Susan Hill is a "skip it ".

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:06:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 5:07:40 PM PST
Sires says:
Phil Rickman's The Secrets of Pain: A Merrily Watkins Mystery, Book 11. Not his best, but even not his best appeals to me when read by Emma Powell.

Ben Aaronovicth's Whispers Under Ground again due to a great combination of a good story and an excellent reader, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith .

S J Bolton's Blood Harvest -- I read all of the Bolton books this year but this one stuck in my mind.

And one I haven't talked about much, but did enjoy, Where Death Delights by Bernard Knight. Knight is mainly known for his Crowner John series of Medieval mysteries, but this series. based on his own early history as a Home Office Pathologist, is set in 1955. The primitive circumstances under which the hero is required to work at times makes it feel at times as far from today as the Crowner John series.

I think this has been a stellar year for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:31:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:54:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 5:57:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:54:26 PM PST
I really liked Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore too. If we're not sticking strictly to mysteries, my top reads of 2012 would include:

Julian Barnes: The Sense of an Ending

Nick Harkaway: Angelmaker

Natasha Solomons: Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English

Biggest disappointments in crime fiction this year:

Elizabeth George: Believing the Lie (A very rare DNF)

Susan Hill: The Betrayal of Trust (The book that finished this series for me)

Margaret Maron: Three-Day Town (A Deborah Knott Mystery) (And I was so excited to see the return of Sigrid Harald . . . )

Francine Mathews: Jack 1939 (Embarrassingly bad)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:55:36 PM PST
Cluny says:
Laura,Did you read the title or OP of this thread?

you bought the book.......have you read it............is it your favorite read of the year? If not you are way off topic. "Endorsed by editor of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS" I don 't care if God endorsed the book! To Quote Shania Twain song lyric "That don 't impress me much! ". There are a few major authors known to the publishing community that promiscuously write endorsement blurbs

If you wish to participate and provide your favorite mystery/thrillers THAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE READ, please contribute but do not recommend a book simply because you bought it!.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:05:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:06:25 PM PST
Holly says:
Looks like spam and not just on this thread. Her website promos her book and his book .......

On topic: I have to add my praises to the Louise Penny books and will spend some time looking back at my 2012 reading before adding anything else.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:31:50 PM PST
Cluny says:
Yep, Holly
Not just spam, but a spamming schilling prevaricator!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 10:33:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 10:47:52 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 4:28:02 PM PST
Jacquie says:
Michael Connelly was on Morning Joe this morning talking about his new Harry Bosch book, Black Box. It sounds pretty good.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:22:12 AM PST
foxglove says:
I do not have a list for you at the moment but one author of a pretty new series comes to mind. The author is Christobel Kent and the name of the first book in the series, which is the only one that I read so far is , THE DROWNING RIVER The first book is set in Florence and it features a private detective that had to leave the police force for doing something wrong. His motivation to do this was understandable and the reader understands why he did it but its genuinely not OK. The first book begins with his first case. He is surrounded by a host of interesting characters including his wife who asset him and he has occasional help from his ex partner on the force.. This series is a great discovery for me and I hope that the author lives long and prospers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:42:06 PM PST
Cluny says:
Foxglove
Thanks for the recommendation. Will look forward to the rest of your list. I am getting some great ideas for new authors to try. Christobel Kent has four other books available on Amazon for kindle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions