Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Anything as good as Emerson and Amelia Peabody?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 6:32:17 AM PDT
Wendy says:
I've read the Amelia Peabody series for the second time, and I want a new good series to read. Not too gruesome, with some humor. It doesn't matter if it's historical or modern day, as long as it's good. Romance is a plus, but not totally necessary.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 6:55:38 AM PDT
Ann Bronson says:
I wish there were more Peabody books - I love them. You might want to read Amelia Quick's books or Anne Perry's mysteries. But none are as good as Peters. I like Robert Parker's books featuring Spencer, too.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:20:58 AM PDT
Drummer Girl says:
You could also try Mary Higgins Clark's books, if you haven't already. Her books are not a series but I like them. Or Diane Mott Davidson's books about Goldy, the caterer. Heather Graham's books are good, too. They are mystery/suspense, usually with a touch of the paranormal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:20:11 AM PDT
Wendy says:
I read the Goldy books in the past, but that ex-husband of her's always lurking in the background just ruined them for me. I've read some Heather Graham. Maybe I'll revisit some of her books. I've never tried Mary Higgins Clark. Thanks for the tip. In case some of you who like Amelia have similar tastes to mine, her are some of my favorites. It's a mix of romantic suspense, cozy, mystery:

Charlotte MacLeod starting with The Family Vault (Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn Mysteries)
Linda Howard, mainly Open Season and Mr. Perfect and the two with Blair Mallory beginning with To Die For: A Novel
Agatha Christie The Moving Finger: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe Mysteries) by Rex Stout
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
Outlander (20th Anniversary Edition): A Novel by Diana Gabaldon. Not a mystery, though there is certainly suspense. Very hard to classify this series.
One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie Plum Novels). I love Stephanie's extended family.
And of course Amelia starting with Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, Book 1) although I think the first book is one of the weaker ones in the series. I haven't gotten into her stand alones as Barbara Michaels.

If anyone reading this sees themselves in this list, which is just a sample of my favorites, and can recommend something to me, I'd really appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 7:15:14 AM PDT
Drummer Girl says:
OH (spoiler alert here) her ex gets murdered in one of the later books.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:55:26 AM PDT
Susan Solin says:
You might like Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series Murder With Peacocks is the first in the series. If you liked the Stephanie Plum novels you might like Lisa Lutz's Spellman series The Spellman Files

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 8:05:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 8:08:37 AM PDT
saraf says:
I love the Faye Longchamp Archaelogical Mysteries by Mary Anna Evans. The first one, Artifacts, is offered free from time to time, you can see if you like the series. They all seem to be on sale...I got the first one free but paid $7.99 for the rest of them.

Artifacts: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)
Relics: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)
Effigies: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)
Findings: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)
Floodgates: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)Strangers: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)
Plunder: A Faye Longchamp Mystery (Faye Longchamp Series)

Edited I have tried twice to get Stangers on its own line and it won't let me. Sorry...Floodgates and Strangers are two separate links though.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:30:12 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
I've gone through all five of Lee Charles Kelly's dog training mysteries. Written by a man (Lee could be either). You will NOT be told to dominate your dog in these books. The mysteries are pretty good. And if you're interested, he gives you bibliographies. (I'm not sure I buy his entire version of how dogs work, but my Patty sure learns lightning fast when she is happy and engaged)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:57:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:58:45 PM PST
Wendy says:
I recently found these books, and since they remind me somewhat of Amelia and Emerson I thought I would add to this post.The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless (Alexia Tarabotti) They are heavily paranormal, mildly romantic, and slightly mysterious. They're a cross genre series. I'm on book 2 and so far so good. The boxed set comes out to $4 a book, which is pretty reasonable. They're "spicier" (read--sex) than Emerson and Amelia, so if that offends, you won't want to read them. And as I said, they're heavily paranormal. Vampires, werewolves and ghosts. With an emphasis toward werewolves (rather anti-vampire so far). They've made me laugh out loud a few times.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:30:51 PM PST
seedlady says:
The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (A Lady Julia Grey Novel)

the single best opening paragraph i've ever seen.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:43:04 PM PST
Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries are very good. The first in the series is Murder on Astor Place.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:32:55 AM PST
Cluny says:
You might try Elizabeth Peter's books under her other names of Barbara Mertz and Barbara Michaels
Here is site for her website with her books under all names listed
http://mpmbooks.com/thebooks.html

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 7:14:45 AM PST
Wendy says:
I love Julia and Nicolas. I'm disappointed that the author SPOILERS AHEAD seems to have taken them having a child off the agenda. I think that would have been fun. The little girl in the Parasol Protectorate series is a hoot, and I absolutely love Ramses.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:01:27 AM PST
Shanter says:
How about the Tommy & Tuppence Beresford books (Agatha Christie)?
http://www.goodreads.com/series/51474-tommy-and-tuppence
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions